Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By T.W.G
  • 1 Post By Mutoidi
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Hi,

is there any way to change the name on the touchpad displayed in the upper left corner?
    It displays "HP webOS" and I want to change it to an individual name.

Thank you
    rmeigs likes this.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I've wondered that too. It seems like there should be an option to show your own system name, or else something not so fixed.
    It's gotta be filed in there somewhere!
    But I guess looking through 'HPwebOS' for "HPwebOS" could get boring!

Soorma likes this.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    does nobody know how to change that name on the Touchpad?
  5. R42
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    really?
    Top bar is coded in C, my guess is this would include the "HP webOS". So maybe when the source code is released we will see this.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I know for a fact that there is a localization file somewhere that can change the name of things in the drop down menu(I need to go looking for it), but the downside of using that is that "HPwebOS" would be changed to whatever you set it to throughout the system, for example in device info where it says the OS version.

Edit:
    Changing the localization file does nothing, so I think it is hard wired into the OS somehow [goes off to look for any other possible way]

If you want to know where the localization file is, it is /usr/palm/sysmgr/localization (then pick your language), then edit the strings.json file.
    Last edited by jm2011; 01/24/2012 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added location of file and said it didn't work
    Touchpad 16GB 3.0.5
    Pre 2 2.2.4
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I know it’s been done. Foe example, Garrett92c changed his, as evidenced by his screenshot in this post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...-type-bar.html (he changed his from “HP webOS” to “Virtura.”

On an unrelated note, I think he also changed his wifi icon. Makes me wonder how that is done. I like his better than the default icon.
    Quote Originally Posted by demagogue11 View Post
    I know it’s been done. Foe example, Garrett92c changed his, as evidenced by his screenshot in this post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...-type-bar.html (he changed his from “HP webOS” to “Virtura.”

On an unrelated note, I think he also changed his wifi icon. Makes me wonder how that is done. I like his better than the default icon.
    Pretty sure that is an emulator screen cap
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...