Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wheel_nut
  1.    #1  
    Hi, I'm looking to buy a HP Touchpad on Amazon as I have some vouchers. The Touchpads from the the US are cheaper than from the UK, so I wanted to know what issues would there be with a US Touchpad?

Apart from an American charger is the software different in anyway, would I be losing out at all? Has anyone in the UK have any experience with this?

Thanks
    That I know of, there is nothing that would prevent you from using a Wifi TouchPad or any other tablet anywhere in the world short of not having WiFi....

I have several UK friends who buy American because their money does more here. The only time you run into trouble is with 3G/4G devices as the wireless bands do not always match. (minimal concern)

I say go for it. I will let anyone else who has any more detail chime in....
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    i just took 2 touch pad for my friends there no problem what so ever.

i would buy a us - uk adapter this one works good.

Amazon.com: 3 Pk USA to UK Converter travel Plug Adapter 2 - 3 Pin: Home Improvement $3.45 f0r 3 pack free shipping with prime

i was there for 2 weeks and no problem what so ever go for it well worth it..
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    I'm not sure if this applies to the TouchPad or not but the only other thing to watch out for is if you use wi-fi channels 12 & 13. These channels aren't generally available in the US and sometimes US models don't allow access.

Again, not sure if this applies to the TouchPad or not but thought I'd let you know just in case...
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewP View Post
    I'm not sure if this applies to the TouchPad or not but the only other thing to watch out for is if you use wi-fi channels 12 & 13. These channels aren't generally available in the US and sometimes US models don't allow access.

Again, not sure if this applies to the TouchPad or not but thought I'd let you know just in case...
    the channels are defined by your access point not the client so it's not a problem.
    @ #3.

And presumably the HP Wall Charger unit is Universal & already designed to handle standard Global AC voltage differences (110V - 250v) and simply uses the different local pin configuration adaptors to suit?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    @ #3.

And presumably the HP Wall Charger unit is Universal & already designed to handle standard Global AC voltage differences (110V - 250v) and simply uses the different local pin configuration adaptors to suit?
    It is. I took my US sold Touchpad on vacation in the UK with me last month, and used a similar device (this one) and had the HP AC adapter plugged into the top whilst my laptop was plugged into the 3 pin.

It is very rare for electronics with a worldwide audience to be shipped with an AC adapter for a dedicated electrical system. (It works out to be cheaper to provide a switching adapter and mate it to the connector suited to the target market)
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for all the advice. Very helpful!
    @kohog: I don't know where you live, but besides buying a TP at Amazon, which technically is no problem except for getting an adapter-power plug, keep in mind that when you're activating the TP for the first time, make sure you choose the correct region for your app catalog.. This is a one time shot and not reversable when you do it wrong. The US app catalog doesn't accept non US credit cards. Eg. I bought my TP in the US but it is activated UK, so I can buy apps in the UK catalog. Maybe you know this already, but just wanted to let you know ahead...
    Global Posts
    164 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    the channels are defined by your access point not the client so it's not a problem.
    It's a problem if your UK access point decides to use channels 12 & 13 but your US client doesn't recognise channels beyond 11.

Andrew
    Are the dictionaries different for spell check? The UK spelling is wrong for some words
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrymad View Post
    Are the dictionaries different for spell check? The UK spelling is wrong for some words
    Yes, we use the English language in the United Kingdom.
    gerrymad#WN likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    Yes, we use the English language in the United Kingdom.
    I think my auto-correct is secretly set to Gaelic the way it corrects my poor "colonial" English.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by apeka53 View Post
    keep in mind that when you're activating the TP for the first time, make sure you choose the correct region for your app catalog.. This is a one time shot and not reversable when you do it wrong.
    I have chosen the wrong region (Austria) when activating my TouchPad first. HP support said that doctoring my device and being in Germany when activating it again could help. But fortunately it was enough to full erase my device and to create a new Palm ID for being able to choose the app catalog's region again. But I don't know if this will work in general.
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)