Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    As opposed to storing it in your Palm Profile on the HP servers?

Which of HP or Google has more to lose if even a single person's private data is leaked?

[If you're seriously concerned, don't use any third-party - write your own Synergy provider and run your own server. Make sure you don't use a hosting company, and make sure your data never goes over any network in the USA where the government monitors it, and make sure it is never transmitted over any wireless or cellular carrier ...]

-- Rod
    I don't worry about HP using that data to track my every movement, and sell that data to advertisers. Remember most of Google's money is from advertising where as HP makes their money selling their own products and services. When I browse the web, HP doesn't have "hp_syndication" or "hp_analytics" scripts embedded is almost every site on the internet. Google IS spyware.

Considering I already run my own mail and web server, I like the idea of my own synergy server. I had already considered running my own cloud.
    Patches from Maverickz:
    Various Virtual KB Patches with WORKING ARROW KEYS - Updated for 3.0.5
    CALENDAR PATCHES - ChooseYourSnooze and SetWeekView8am - Updated for 3.0.5

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
    I don't worry about HP using that data to track my every movement, and sell that data to advertisers. Remember most of Google's money is from advertising where as HP makes their money selling their own products and services. When I browse the web, HP doesn't have "hp_syndication" or "hp_analytics" scripts embedded is almost every site on the internet. Google IS spyware.
    I bet HP does that as well, but doesn't have as much at stake if your actual contacts or emails are leaked publicly.

Google gets almost 100% of their revenue by people trusting them with information. If you're comfortable with how they use that information (which obviously you are not), then you can be assured that they are not going to allow it to be leaked publicly (since that would destroy their whole business in one fell swoop).

If you're not comfortable, then yes, you definitely should run your own servers.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    I bet HP does that as well, but doesn't have as much at stake if your actual contacts or emails are leaked publicly.

Google gets almost 100% of their revenue by people trusting them with information. If you're comfortable with how they use that information (which obviously you are not), then you can be assured that they are not going to allow it to be leaked publicly (since that would destroy their whole business in one fell swoop).

If you're not comfortable, then yes, you definitely should run your own servers.

-- Rod
    how do u back up the data on google's servers?
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Yes, that doesn't say anything about Preware going away, merely that the documentation regarding it will no longer be available from the app catalog.
    oh misunderstood then. this documentation is the official HP gibberish that might go away, which wont matter if we resources like precentral?

going to play with my TP tonight
  5.    #25  
    before or after the "new touchpad guide"?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12