1.    #1  
    [Comp] HP Touchpad 16G still available @ HP.ca *** BUT with a bundle of PC/Laptop NOV25 - RedFlagDeals.com Forums

The main issue is they aren't honouring previous firesale cancelled orders but rather do this.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/24/2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: posting around language filters
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I can appreciate that when people miss out on really favorable prices, they are unhappy. But sales, even fire sales, have beginnings and ends.

And now there is a new deal that will also have a beginning and an end.

To me this latest deal begs the question: "How much Touchpad stock does HP really have or have in process?"

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by All4fun View Post
    I can appreciate that when people miss out on really favorable prices, they are unhappy. But sales, even fire sales, have beginnings and ends.

To me this latest deal begs the question: "How much Touchpad stock does HP really have or have in process?"

~~~
    HP's position on this was stated as 'no HP on-line stock remaining' (sent en masse by email to all those who requested to be notified when the 'second (and final) batch' of up to 100,000 TouchPads was completed and available to them as 'valued customers').

How many HP employess got a unit?
    How many backorders needed to be fulfilled?
    How many were in fact left (deliberately) UNsold after the firesale frenzy?

Subtract these from the 2nd production-run total and that may be how many got handed by HP to BB & Wallfart etc. to bundle-around with.

WE are the consumers.. WE hold the power as to what we choose to 'consume' or not. Why bother trying to eat something that gives you a gut-ache anyway?

4.    #4  

~~~
    That's not the issue. It's those who DID order, but HP cancelled their order claiming it's out of stock, then all this stock appear as part of the bundle deal.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    That's not the issue. It's those who DID order, but HP cancelled their order claiming it's out of stock, then all this stock appear as part of the bundle deal.
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Thanks for the correction.

What was the time between "out of stock" on the fire sale and the appearance of the new bundle offer?

~~~
    10 wks?
    The sites that oversold their inventory are to blame for that, not HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    10 wks?
    Thanks. That's longer than I thought.

So, it seems possible that after the fire sale HP built out stranded custom inventory that was in the supply chain. And then they had to decide what to do with it. Apparently, they thought a bundle deal would be better than going back to customers that had already been told 'no more on-line inventory' or words to the effect.

I have seen this in my own business: We overcommit to a long lead-time expensive, custom part and have a decsion: Do we just write off the stranded inventory in the supply chain? OR: Do we build it out and try to move it at a reduced price.

I apologize if my initial post in this thread ticked anyone off. My bad.

~~~
    Thanks. That's longer than I thought.

So, it seems possible that after the fire sale HP built out stranded custom inventory that was in the supply chain. And then they had to decide what to do with it. Apparently, they thought a bundle deal would be better than going back to customers that had already been told 'no more on-line inventory' or words to the effect.

I have seen this in my own business: We overcommit to a long lead-time expensive, custom part and have a decsion: Do we just write off the stranded inventory in the supply chain? OR: Do we build it out and try to move it at a reduced price.

I apologize if my initial post in this thread ticked anyone off. My bad.

~~~
    Yes. And there was some initial suggestion that to build out of stranded inventory would anyway at least also eventuate as being less expensive that incurring the fines from the holders of that inventory for breaking any 'contract' by dumping them altogether?

Of course by bundling the TP with other 'HP-only' products, as I believe BB did/are.. then HP clearly hoped to benefit somewhat on that 'score' too.
    Better anyway than selling at F'sale prices direct through their own (and expensive) staff & servers, to the clamouring hoards!

11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    The sites that oversold their inventory are to blame for that, not HP.
    Including HP themselves, since it was HP.ca that posted that message?

I'm pretty sure it's operated by HP since the TouchPad I got came with an invoice from HP's head office in Canada.

Didn't HP say there would be one last production run to fill all outstanding orders?
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Didn't HP say there would be one last production run to fill all outstanding orders?
    Yes. To be completed at the end of October (ish).
    Then an email saying 'Sorry, much though we value your custom, WE haven't got any left'! Or words to that effect.

... and HP did fulfill a lot of their oversells from before. And apparently dumped the rest into the retail channel. Sounds smart to me.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    ... and HP did fulfill a lot of their oversells from before. And apparently dumped the rest into the retail channel. Sounds smart to me.
    Yes.. sounds like they took the cheapest way out, in the short term anyway.. I suppose it depends upon perspective, as to whether that is 'smart' or not in the longer term!

HP is under no obligation to sell us anything or at any particular price.

Just as we are not obligated to buy anything from them.

It's understandable that people are disappointed when they didn't get a tablet at a ridiculously low firesale price. But that's just bad luck - get over it.

HP starting again to make some money out of these devices is overall a good sign for the possible survival of the platform.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Once they are off in the retail channel, then HP doesn't even have to worry about them until they get support issues on them. They get their money up front from whoever ends up with them, and it's all taken care of. Basically, of course. It may be more complex than that. But HP doesn't have to unload even more money individually shipping 100K units.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    HP is under no obligation to sell us anything or at any particular price.

Just as we are not obligated to buy anything from them.

It's understandable that people are disappointed when they didn't get a tablet at a ridiculously low firesale price. But that's just bad luck - get over it.

HP starting again to make some money out of these devices is overall a good sign for the possible survival of the platform.
    Once HP sets a maximum price (ie F'sale prices), they themselves may be obligated to adhere to it. Clearly they have little or no control over what other retailers may choose to charge? Therefore who knows what 'deals' have gone on behind the scenes?

The impression HP gave customers (not just individuals, but large retailers too, 'MobiCity' in Australia being one) was that they would be informed, updated and definitely offered new stock from the Oct. inventory build.

This did not occur.. MobiCity were under the impression that they had already secured stock from HP. It just did not eventuate that way.

I don't believe HP is yet making money out of 'these devices'.. and we will have to see 'in the coming weeks' whether the platform is destined to survive as such, or not!

Then it may be time to just 'get over' webOS altogether.. sadly!