1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if there are any car chargers that work with the touchpad. I tried one made for the iPad but got the message on my touchpad that reliably charge use the charger that came with your device. I was wonder I use it and just slowly charge it would it hurt the battery long term. I don't know why HP didn't make an official car charger.
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder View Post
    Does anyone know if there are any car chargers that work with the touchpad. I tried one made for the iPad but got the message on my touchpad that reliably charge use the charger that came with your device. I was wonder I use it and just slowly charge it would it hurt the battery long term. I don't know why HP didn't make an official car charger.
    It's all here:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html

HP probably doesn't 'officially' know why they didn't make a car charger either!
    Maybe they thought that the 'Exec' market they were aiming at, don't spent long enough in 'cars' to warrant it?

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/24/2011 at 09:22 AM.
    Global Posts
    283 Global Posts
    My blackberry charger charges my touchpad perfectly. Both car and home.
    Quote Originally Posted by realcanuk View Post
    If by 'perfectly' you also mean rapidly and at -->2 Amps, then B'berry & HP must use the same charge-sensing configurations?

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/25/2011 at 08:05 AM.
    That long thread answers your question, but in short: no one has found a charger you can just buy that fully works (other than the USB port of a Cobra 150 inverter, which is an odd solution). They have figured out how you can solder in some resistors to modify an existing charger, and WheelNut might provide you a modified one for a reasonable price.

Other chargers will work, just more slowly. That may not be a bad thing. I'm fairly sure that fast-charging batteries isn't actually very good for them - for example, the Nissan Leaf says frequent fast-charging will shorten the battery life from 10 years to as little as 3. It might be better to slow-charge your batteries as much as possible to extend the life of your TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by bdbr View Post
    That long thread answers your question, but in short: no one has found a charger you can just buy that fully works (other than the USB port of a Cobra 150 inverter, which is an odd solution). They have figured out how you can solder in some resistors to modify an existing charger, and WheelNut might provide you a modified one for a reasonable price.

Other chargers will work, just more slowly. That may not be a bad thing. I'm fairly sure that fast-charging batteries isn't actually very good for them - for example, the Nissan Leaf says frequent fast-charging will shorten the battery life from 10 years to as little as 3. It might be better to slow-charge your batteries as much as possible to extend the life of your TouchPad.
    OK.. but The 'Leaf' is a high-current draw Li-ion CAR!
    The difference between a fast and a slow charge there, also being that between 480 volts DC @ 125 Amps for 30 minutes and 240 volts @ 30 Amps for 8 hours!!

'..Using DC fast charging, the battery pack can be charged to 80% capacity in about 30 minutes. Nissan developed its own 500-volt DC fast charger.. and warns that if fast charging is the primary way of recharging, then the normal and gradual battery capacity loss is about 10% more than regular 220-volt charging over a 10-year period..'

Nissan Leaf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, relatively speaking I would suggest that the standard 5 volt 2 Amp HP Wall Charger is not so much 'fast'.. as in fact the non-HP, non-standard/unmodified car charger, is actually desperately and (probably also inadequately), SLOW !!

*Nothing* asks the TouchPad Li-ion to charge from 0 - 80% in half an hour flat!
    Therefore little or no relevant comparison?

It's OK!

Go Wheel_Nut!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/24/2011 at 05:37 PM.
  7.    #7  
    I was wondering if it was safe to charge a touchpad with a cell phone charger. I'm using one now and got the message that to reliably charge use the power adapter that came with your device. It seems with the touchpad off it slowly charges, and I was wonder if it will hurt the battery? In the last 20 minutes it jumped 4 % battery life, so I know it will charge. I've tried the USB chargers with the 2.1 amp and they didn't work. Also tried a power inverter and got the same message. So my question is simple, has anyone out there use a micro USB car charger and have any issues with it. Thanks.
    Perfectly safe. The worst case is that it won't charge at all. More likely it will charge slowly. Mine charges fine with the 1Amp charger from the Pre. I doubt it would charge at all with a standard 100mA USB output from a computer.

Very odd that your 2.1Amp USB charger didn't work. It should. You could try measuring the voltage if you have a voltmeter handy.
    It will charge slowly I think.

Please allow me to re-introduce you to this thread:

which also explains in detail WHY most (if not all) -->2 Amp USB car chargers (for the iP*d etc) do NOT work with the HP TouchPad, except at a very low/slow charge rate.. and what can be done to get around this for the TouchPad!

'BlueBellThunder' has already also recently posted this thread entitled 'TP Car Charger' :

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...r-charger.html

where much of the same appears to also have been raised.

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/25/2011 at 07:43 AM.
  10.    #10  
    With the 2.1 amp USB charger I still got the message that the charger won't reliably charge, so I guess it would charged it. When you use your pre charger do you get the message?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    It will charge slowly I think.

Please allow me to re-introduce you to this thread:

which also explains in detail WHY most (if not all) -->2 Amp USB car chargers (for the iP*d etc) do NOT work with the HP TouchPad, except at a very low/slow charge rate.. and what can be done to get around this for the TouchPad!

'BlueBellThunder' has already also recently posted this thread entitled 'TP Car Charger' :

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...r-charger.html

where much of the same appears to also have been raised.

I see now that the 2.1 amp USB will charge but slowly. I just concerned if it's safe for the battery because the message states to reliably charge use the power adapter and USB cable that came with your device. I just want to know if it would harm the battery. Thanks.
    The unmodified 2.1 amp USB charger will charge it SLOWLY and it will not harm the battery.

If you want to charge it FASTER from a 12 volt supply you probably need a modified unit that is specific to the TouchPad charge sensing system.

I do not have a Pre charger to play with.. but it is likely, that if your TouchPad gives you this message, that all others will also get this message!

13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by realcanuk View Post
    Do you get the message about not being able to reliably charge?
  14.    #14  
    thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder View Post
    Do you get the message about not being able to reliably charge?
    Yes.. same unanswered question!

'..If by 'perfectly' you also mean rapidly and at -->2 Amps, then B'berry & HP must use the same charge-sensing configurations?..'
    No worries!

<threads merged>
  18.    #18  
    Just one more question. Will the 2.1 amp charge faster than the 1 amp? I bought a 2.1 amp but returned it when I got the message on the touchpad.

Thank for everyone's responses.
    Look.. Please understand that NO 12v. USB charger meant for iP*ds etc is EVER going to charge the Touchpad anything but SLOWLY, whatever it's quoted amperage output spec, UNLESS it is modified first, to specifically suit the TouchPad's charge sensing specifications.. which are NOT the same as the iP*d and require 2.1 Amps carrying capacity for maximum efficiency! Details of this modification are in the afore mentioned 'Is there a Car Charger...' thread etc.

Unless you use a modified car charger to suit the Touchpad, you will never be able to charge it at the faster rate and it will probably always therefore, 'complain' to you with this same message..

OK? I hope this is clearer 4 U now!

Question asked and answered. +1 for the PreCentral.net forums!!!
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com