1. c2q
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I want to try out splashtop remote desktop. But before I get it, I want to know does connecting to your computer remotely use up your internet bandwidth or is it via the network in the house?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Well, in the product description it says you can use it over a 3G/4G data connection and that certainly doesn't rely on your home network, so I'd say you can probably use it from just about anywhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by c2q View Post
    I want to try out splashtop remote desktop. But before I get it, I want to know does connecting to your computer remotely use up your internet bandwidth or is it via the network in the house?
    I guess it depends how you login.. if you are on your internal network it will use the internal network if you use an internal IP avoiding the internet. If you forward the proper ports and use your 'real' IP address then it will use the internet for access. So in my splashtop I have two connections for my computer; 1) internal 192.168.x.x and 2) my external. I use according to where I am.

Is that what you were asking? Good app
    It connects over the local network directly. There appears to be a mode that can proxy through your Internet connection, if you are remote from your computer. Haven't tried this mode, but local mode works very well.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Dan Donovan
  5. c2q
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I'm confused. I downloaded the app and it detected my computer as an ip address. It connected just fine. It's just that i live with bandwith caps and I wanted to know that if the app uses your local home network to transfer data between the PC and the touchpad or does the PC upload data over the internet to stream to the touchpad. I'm assuming it's over the router because I disconnected the internet but the streaming still worked. I'm not planning on using it outside the house, its just pretty convenient to have my PC in my hand :P.
    Splashtop works through your wifi network if you are home. No external bandwidth required. When you open the App, it shows you the computers it has found, and it is clearly labeled as a local IP.

If you are going to use it outside of your network (I do this all of the time), the easiest way is to configure the streamer with your gmail id as log-in. Then, Splashtop will find your remote computer from wherever you happen to be (this type of remote connection is also clearly identified in the first screen). Of course, this will use bandwidth between your two locations.