Like Tree12Likes
  • 6 Post By dignitary
  • 1 Post By texasflood
  • 2 Post By texasflood
  • 1 Post By netwrkr9
  • 1 Post By r_wright1
  • 1 Post By bluenote
  1.    #1  
    I just purchased an HP Touchpad today and so far nothing is working correctly. It is very very slow. I cannot log into any of my accounts and it would barely let me create a Webos account. It kept saying that it was unable but then it did eventually let me log in. When I called the support line, they were not a lot of help, but they did mention about the server being down. Would that be causing these problems or did I get a dude? This is very disappointing and I am very frustrated. Does any one have any thoughts or suggestions?
    If there were a server issue on HP's side, then yes it could very well affect the ability to create a webOS account as that info is stored in their servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by clae82 View Post
    Would that be causing these problems or did I get a dude?
    Check between the Touchpad's legs; you should be able to tell if you got a dude.
    I just purchased an HP Touchpad today and so far nothing is working correctly. It is very very slow. I cannot log into any of my accounts and it would barely let me create a Webos account.
    All this really tells me is you don't like it. These only came out in June/July of this year and was almost immediately abandoned by the manufacturer so the OS is unlikely to undergo the maturing process iOS has and apps will also be limited by comparison. You can choose to accept this and dig in to the issues or bail now if not and get an iPad or Android, whatever you might like better. For the slowness, WebOS 3.0.4 and preware patches help with that as already documented in other threads, have no idea if you're running 3.0.2 or 3.0.4 or if you've installed preware or not. There is not enough info on account login issues to comment. I am able to log into my email accounts without issue.

It kept saying that it was unable but then it did eventually let me log in. When I called the support line, they were not a lot of help, but they did mention about the server being down. Would that be causing these problems or did I get a dude? This is very disappointing and I am very frustrated. Does any one have any thoughts or suggestions?
    As HelloNNNewman mentioned, a server issue on HP's side, then yes it could very well affect the ability to create a webOS account as that info is stored in their servers. I didn't have this problem but have read it happens occasionally. I assume you meant dud not dude,
    MikeM2010 likes this.
    Sounds like the same sour taste I've had in my mouth about the thing. You can hope it gets better, but even a $100 tablet can fall short of expectations.

Good luck.
    Expectations is the key. If you want a cheap "open" tablet that isn't perfect but has some unique positive qualities, an active community and enough apps for many then might be a good fit. If you want an iPad 2 for $100 then you should just admit you're dreaming, return it and save up for the iPad 2. Since it will cost many times over what the Touchpad did. For me the Touchpad is a good fit and I prefer it to an iPad. I'm not that familiar with Android but that's an option for the touchpad should I decide to go that route, as is installing Ubuntu. I've done neither of these yet but nice to have the option.
    The Bard and pinaklonkar like this.
    My TouchPad works great, plenty fast and like the majority of people in here that actually own TouchPads, are really happy with them. It appears with the server being down that your TouchPad is slowing down because of it. Wait until the server is up and everything will be fine.
    Vistaus likes this.
    I just purchased an HP Touchpad today and so far nothing is working correctly. It is very very slow. I cannot log into any of my accounts and it would barely let me create a Webos account. It kept saying that it was unable but then it did eventually let me log in. When I called the support line, they were not a lot of help, but they did mention about the server being down. Would that be causing these problems or did I get a dude? This is very disappointing and I am very frustrated. Does any one have any thoughts or suggestions?
    1. Doctor it.
    2. If you still don't like it, or can't fix it, sell it to someone at cost. To you, the outcome is the same as you returning it to store, but you are doing a favor to others.
    I thought all sales were final. Every retailer I can think of that sold these at firesale prices basically stated that there were no returns and all issues had to be handled though HP. Granted, the policy with the bundles or $300 TP's (Circuit City, Tiger Direct) may be different.
    Vistaus likes this.
    The TouchPad takes a long time to set itself up as it is getting information wirelessly from the internet instead of plugging into a cord in your computer. I always give it 2-3 hours leeway when I am setting a tablet up for someone--if you are new to webOS or to the TouchPad, then for sure give it that time. Also If the HP server is having trouble, that compounds the problem.
    Sorry for your frustration.
    W00sh likes this.
    Stick with it and you will find it to be the best OS you ever used. Consider how many good people are here, still chuggin' along with their phones and tablets even after we were all orphaned by the company we bought them from. There's something to be said about that.
    Back to the core issue, what's great about the Touchpad is that there are options.

Don't like webOS alone? You have Ubuntu or the rapidly-improving Android CyanogenMod 7 (and soon to be CM9/Android 4.0) project ready to install, with support all over the place.

And what's better? For neither of them do you have to uninstall webOS. The Touchpad is truly the tablet with three operating system options sitting right there for you, and for an amazing freakin' price.

If you're interested in the Android install, come see us over at http://androidcentral.com/hp-touchpad to learn more. And, again, you don't even have to give up webOS to enjoy it. No need to be religious about operating system choices on this device!