Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes
  1.    #1  
    ...When free apps are sometimes better and get more updates ? I'm saying this because I bought some apps that really need updates and get one only once every two months or so ^^

I mean, Incredible! , Communities, Nomnomnom, Advanced Browser, Splashtop, Localscope, Manga Reader, Gemini and so on...

Whereas app like Papermache, Macaw, TouchPlayer, RedIt, Theme Manager, Suborbital ... Are free and very advanced apps, which get regular updates for most of them.

I mean, I know it's not easy to develop an app, but when I see free apps, maintained by the free will of "donation only" devs, and on the other hand I see paid apps (and sometimes not cheap ones) not having a single update in a whole month whereas there is LOT of room for improvement, I wonder if something is not wrong here.

I'm willing to pay for a good app, but as I see it, when I pay a contract is done between me and the dev: he, in return, has to continue development until the app is completely done and behave as advertised.

I don't know the reason for each devs I cited, and I'm sure some have good reasons. But, common, all those apps do not get a single update in months ? It means something is going wrong. Are the devs no more interested in developing for webos because they think it's dead ? So they shouldn't have sold us apps in the beginning...

I may be a bit harsh, but we deserve some explaination here, please !
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Buy an app if it works now for you and the price seems right for the utility.
    Don't mean to be harsh but these devs have been strung along by HP. They need to spend their time where it will put food on their table.
    Have you given feedback to the developers of those app you deem in need of updating? Unless the devs are made aware of problems, or ways that users can think of improving the app, then they won't necessarily spend time implementing changes/improving them. If nobody says anything, then they're happy, right...?

Many devs will create something and then move along quickly to something else - they can't afford to constantly maintain or improve apps that have not had any feedback/requests to make the changes. I'm not saying that devs shouldn't and won't go back to old apps, but if there's no input/feedback from the users, then why change things?
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    shrxwin, Vistaus and Rnp like this.
    I think a lot of devs are in limbo like the rest of us, waiting to see if there is a WebOs much longer. If HP dumps the whole thing a lot of them will (have to) move on to another platform to make the $$. Homebrew however is a whole other deal. That will most likley live on as long as the hardware is around.
    Rnp likes this.
    Touchpad has been out around 4 months... I can think of at least 3 updates to Advanced Browser....

Zephree is still developing and maintaining his apps, have you attempted to contact him about your issues with incredible?

I know the 2 devs above are very responsive to questions, and easily reachable on twitter or via e-mail.

Not sure what Newness is doing with Communities - this is an app that I have to say, you bought it after HP had killed webOS *didn't release until after everything went down* so you may be getting what you paid for. HP did give a lot of devs good reason to stop development for webOS.

He is another developer that can be reached via twitter or e-mail. He is in Spain so he is usually not active at the same times I am, but he responds.

As for the other developers, I don't know them so I can't speak for them, but as was said above... you should be contacting all these developers, this may give you a better idea of what is really going on than just assuming.

Now a lil more on your "free" apps. Macaw for example is being developed by developer(s) that also develops paid apps, so I hope you are supporting their paid apps (one of the paid apps hasn't been updated since I bought it, doesn't need to be IMHO, and the dev has asked my wife and me for any feedback or features we would like to see). Macaw is free because the source it is based on was open sourced by the previous developer of "PHNX" when he stopped working on it. I am not saying the current developers would be charging for it if they could, just saying that is the underpinnings of it being a free app. The dev that started the project did so because he was already currently using PHNX and instead of having to buy a separate TP app he decided to get to work on a TP version, while still adding to the phone version.

I still buy the apps that fall within something I need and that works for me. In the end, you buy what you buy when you buy it. I have bought apps I no longer or hardly ever use, I am not mad at the developer because something better came along... at a point that app was the best app for what I needed/wanted to do.

In the end, really most app purchases are sub $5, if you can't get over dropping a lil money like that, you probably aren't a person that is donating free/homebrew folks.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Rnp, T-Pad and Vistaus like this.
  6.    #6  
    All your answers make a lot of sense, but as a matter of fact, I'm the kind of person who contact devs via mail or twitter. Through twitter, only ScienceApp has responded to my questions. Through mail, I usually get a response, but I must admit didn't try for some apps that I mentioned. I didn't because what I want/need and is not available in current versions has already been discussed a few times on this forum, so I assume I should not spam devs with questions they may already know about.

But the thing is, some features I would like are basic ones, like font size in Incredible!, scroll bars and download from secured sites in Adv.Browser, solving bugs in Communities and Nomnomnom...

And as for donation, I tend to do so when I have enough money (I'm unemployed right now), but tbh, I didn't donate for webosinternals. But it's a question of time. I do buy apps that I find interesting though.

Maybe I'm just frustrated when I don't hear news from some devs for too much time. But you're right, I should send more mails until I get an answer :/

But you know, 5$+5$+5$... At the end we have 100$ ^^ But it's not the question here
    If you can get a free app that is better than a non-free one that gets more updates then most folks will go for the free ones. I don't think the paid apps you listed fall into that category. If you need an app and the only option is a paid app then your choice is pay or do without. I have some free apps and some paid, selected by the above criteria.
    Rnp likes this.
  8.    #8  
    I think you miss my point Texasflood. I totally agree with you, but I was wondering why people that make free apps find time to correct bugs and add needed features while devs that make paid app sometimes fails in those areas.

I'm not saying that the paid apps I mentioned are bad, far from that. Otherwise I wouldn't have bought them. I find them in fact really usefull. I'm just frustrated to see that they lack many basic features, some of whom are discussed many times in their dedicated threads, and that devs just don't seem to bother.

I love those apps, as I love my tp, and this is the main reason that makes me want to discuss about it here. I wouldn't bother if they were crappy apps. I wouldn't bother if I saw that those devs were inactive and lost into oblivion. But this is not the case: they are active, they talk, come here, post on twitter... But fails to deliver good updates regularly.

Really, I'm only looking for basic features, not the impossible. But today, I think that I'll take my mail app and send as many requests as there are apps that I love and need updates to. Just hope that the answers will be positive ones
  9.    #9  
    You have to buy the app before knowing if it works for you
    Last edited by grasshoper; 11/24/2011 at 03:57 AM.
  10.    #10  
    I removed everything, it may not be from the Graphite team even though it's an answer from a mention I did to them. I think some smart *** has hacked their account to send spam to people. This girl's twitter posts is full of those things to random people ^^

Didn't know it was possible, my bad :/
  11.    #11  
    So I finally sent my letters to the santa's

Hope my wishes will be granted
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    On a zombie platform, I think you have to accept that any app you buy might not have any support/development or the support/development might simply disappear - that's just how it is.
    I would imagine that one of the highest priorities for most webOS developers, at this point, is to get up to speed on a more viable platform. That's no small feat because you can be certain that the competitive bar is higher for the other platforms.
    probably, but in my case, I've decided to use a little more my RL, and do things like enjoy my daugthers, wife, and so on. I've been playing a bit with alternative technologies, and getting relaxed. This year has been pretty exhausting to me, and I needed that time of using the Touchpad just for browsing, visiting forums and so on.

Call it a "wait and see" position, if you wish. That doesn't mean I'm not working on the apps, but I'm prioritizing things differently. Also, things are getting darker and darker on my main bussiness, and that requires more efforts and time.
    Newness Developments apps:

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    ya its a dead platform and then you have the deal that was splashtop.I put cm7 on it and most of the apps I use are either free or a couple bucks and I know support and updates will be there.
    sorry for the devs but a high prices not much in support it sucks to be them and will not buy any other tp apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    probably, but in my case, I've decided to use a little more my RL, and do things like enjoy my daugthers, wife, and so on. I've been playing a bit with alternative technologies, and getting relaxed. This year has been pretty exhausting to me, and I needed that time of using the Touchpad just for browsing, visiting forums and so on.

Call it a "wait and see" position, if you wish. That doesn't mean I'm not working on the apps, but I'm prioritizing things differently. Also, things are getting darker and darker on my main bussiness, and that requires more efforts and time.
    Good luck to you brother in your real life, I hope everything works out with your business, and enjoy your family!
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I don't mind paying for apps. If they code an app and want to charge for it and I need it/want it I will buy it. I just wish that if they make an app for the phone and the tablet that you get a discount for buying it on another device. Like if you buy an app for the pre 3 than the same app will be cheaper on the tablet since it knows you bought it via your phone.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealHotshot View Post
    I don't mind paying for apps. If they code an app and want to charge for it and I need it/want it I will buy it. I just wish that if they make an app for the phone and the tablet that you get a discount for buying it on another device. Like if you buy an app for the pre 3 than the same app will be cheaper on the tablet since it knows you bought it via your phone.

This would really be a App Cat issue, the devs can't add functionality that doesn't exist in the app catalog. That would be HP/Palm...

Also curious does iOS or Android do that? I really don't know, but I don't think it does.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    This would really be a App Cat issue, the devs can't add functionality that doesn't exist in the app catalog. That would be HP/Palm...

Also curious does iOS or Android do that? I really don't know, but I don't think it does.
    Yes and no - if you buy an app for android, you can use it on any of your devices. However, at the moment, some apps are tablet only and you can't buy them for your phone - going forward, because of ICS (if developers do this) apps should adjust automatically between phone and tablet, you should only need to buy one app and it will adjust accordingly (which is a bit more than simply re-scaling, the same app will look different on tablet and phone in how it presents itself).
    That's what I'm saying with android anytime I change to a new phone any app I downloaded from the market free or paid is there waiting for me which is great. But I'm just saying it would be nice to get a discount on an app you bought for your phone that you would like on your tablet. That alone would drive sales of apps. Look at it this way you buy an app for your phone the dev sends email with a promo code to buy the tablet version that's good for like 30 days or so. I myself thinks that's a good idea. I could be wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Yes and no - if you buy an app for android, you can use it on any of your devices. However, at the moment, some apps are tablet only and you can't buy them for your phone - going forward, because of ICS (if developers do this) apps should adjust automatically between phone and tablet, you should only need to buy one app and it will adjust accordingly (which is a bit more than simply re-scaling, the same app will look different on tablet and phone in how it presents itself).
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealHotshot View Post
    That's what I'm saying with android anytime I change to a new phone any app I downloaded from the market free or paid is there waiting for me which is great. But I'm just saying it would be nice to get a discount on an app you bought for your phone that you would like on your tablet. That alone would drive sales of apps. Look at it this way you buy an app for your phone the dev sends email with a promo code to buy the tablet version that's good for like 30 days or so. I myself thinks that's a good idea. I could be wrong?

So it is exactly the same as it is with webOS.... There is no "discount" program for 2 apps. If the dev determines the app is available across all form factors it is one purchase, if not it is a separate purchase. Thank you folks for confirming what I was already sure of...

To clarify real quick, some webOS apps are single purchase across all devices.... some have a separate "HD" version.... iOS and Android don't offer a "discount" program either for apps purchased for phone then tablet...
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast