Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 68
Like Tree16Likes
  1. kalel33's Avatar
    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Is this maybe a result of the firesale? It's pulled in a lot of bottom-feeders who would never buy a tablet at realistic price. Then again, I wonder how many of those types would even drop a $1 on an app.
    Call me a bottom feeder then because I wouldn't have bought a tablet except for the firesale, but on my Android phone I have spent over $50 in apps. I'll buy if the app is worth it but I won't pay for the apps on WebOS that are almost always more expensive and/or have less functionality.
  2. kalel33's Avatar
    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    Its the same way in the photography field. I think the internet and digital technology created almost an entitlement mentality among people. It became so simple to copy files and digital images people's jaw drop when they learn they have to pay for them[/color]
    I agree with your statement of the photography field but I have an analogy myself with WebOS and photographers. There are photographers out there, I know of one personally, who shoots in auto modes and doesn't know anything about photography, besides clicking the button. She charges at the lower end of wedding and portrait photography but I'd rather give my money to someone that puts in the extra effort and doesn't charge as much as regular pros. The WebOS apps are like my friend who charges the same as the other photographers, lets call them Android apps, and the quality isn't to the same level. I wouldn't hire her as a photographer and I won't pay for apps that are either substandard to the ones on my phone or cost more.

    Also, when a photographer starts out they usually do years of free or hardly any pay to get a following and build up skill. There are many apps on WebOS that are amateur quality but charge high quality prices. If the apps not that great then they should charge less to build a following and get better at their trade.

    Lastly, I'm not saying this about all the apps on WebOS but a majority.
  3.    #43  
    I think this thread is a perfect example. I paid 500 bucks for my copy of photoshop. For photoshop's next update, I need to pay more. Here, a thread is created because someone who paid $2 for an app isn't getting updates fast enough. Lol The OP is being cool about it, but one who reads this thread can see the mentality I am trying to describe.

    ET

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Yeah, I understand what you're saying. Hopefully I don't fall into that category. I respect the work of the devs and like what they do. I'm just concern about the future of the platform. The first post of this thread may be a little bit awkward, since I'm more like complaining about the lack of update and the fact that I paid for the apps. But what you all said here is true and you can't ask the same support for tablet apps than for full price desktop apps.

    TBH, the truth is: you get far better support and kindness from the WebOS devs than for, say, Photoshop or lambda maintream desktop applications.

    All in all, just saying I was wrong to put it that way in the first post. May we keep this community alive for a long time
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    No. It's because people don't buy apps. Reaching the first thousand sales mark takes months, maybe years, if it's ever reached.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    I'd have expected Communities would've done that in the first hour or two.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  5. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    #45  
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    Call me a bottom feeder then because I wouldn't have bought a tablet except for the firesale, but on my Android phone I have spent over $50 in apps. I'll buy if the app is worth it but I won't pay for the apps on WebOS that are almost always more expensive and/or have less functionality.
    Heh, bear in mine my use of the term "bottom feeder" includes me, I would never buy a tablet at full price. :-)

    Sent from my touchdroid using Tapatalk
  6. letijr's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I'd have expected Communities would've done that in the first hour or two.
    same here... Or Glimpse for that matter. Bought a couple of the advertised one, waiting for the picsel one to be sorted out
    HP Pre 3 not capable to display names of people calling in
    Touchpad with cracked case
  7. #47  
    I'd have expected Communities would've done that in the first hour or two.
    Communities has not reached that mark yet. It has not reached the 900 mark.




    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

  8. #48  
    same here... Or Glimpse for that matter. Bought a couple of the advertised one, waiting for the picsel one to be sorted out
    Glimpse case is special, because they got 20,000 promo codes. I don't know Glimpse stats, but without those promo codes, I bet it's pretty similar to Communities.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

  9. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Glimpse case is special, because they got 20,000 promo codes. I don't know Glimpse stats, but without those promo codes, I bet it's pretty similar to Communities.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

    Ah... I was just going to ask why you thought that Glimpse has done over 20,000 downloads.... thanks for clearing that up.
    Last edited by CGK; 11/27/2011 at 05:08 AM.
  10. #50  
    I agree with your statement of the photography field but I have an analogy myself with WebOS and photographers. There are photographers out there, I know of one personally, who shoots in auto modes and doesn't know anything about photography, besides clicking the button. She charges at the lower end of wedding and portrait photography but I'd rather give my money to someone that puts in the extra effort and doesn't charge as much as regular pros. The WebOS apps are like my friend who charges the same as the other photographers, lets call them Android apps, and the quality isn't to the same level. I wouldn't hire her as a photographer and I won't pay for apps that are either substandard to the ones on my phone or cost more.

    Also, when a photographer starts out they usually do years of free or hardly any pay to get a following and build up skill. There are many apps on WebOS that are amateur quality but charge high quality prices. If the apps not that great then they should charge less to build a following and get better at their trade.

    Lastly, I'm not saying this about all the apps on WebOS but a majority.
    I think your reasoning is a logical fallacy. What defines "app quality"?


    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

  11. #51  
    Ah... I was just going to ask why you thought that Glimpse has done over 20,000 downloads.... thanks for clearing that up.
    If memory serves me well, Glimpse got a first round of 10,000 promo codes, and later two more of 5,000 each.


    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

  12. cgk
    cgk is offline
    cgk's Avatar
    Posts
    3,868 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    If memory serves me well, Glimpse got a first round of 10,000 promo codes, and later two more of 5,000 each.


    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Do you know how HP selected apps for the promo codes? Was it a case of "who you know?" or something more objective?
  13. #53  
    Do you know how HP selected apps for the promo codes? Was it a case of "who you know?" or something more objective?
    I din't know, but in Glimpse case, seems pretty obvious: there isn't anything similar on other platforms. Smartoffice, Splashtop or similar because they're key players, who knows about other apps.

    I only care about my stuff, and I bet Communities never will be selected because it's a copycat of Tapatalk, and that's not good as a marketing resource. Anyways, I don't care. I never wanted Communities to be promo-ized, but bought.

    As a side note, Communities got piraced on the first two days, and that honors me. Now if someone finds a way to monetize honor, I'll be rich... I did the right decission not inluding analytics to the app. I did it with Forums, and I'm happier ignoring how much honor people deserves me.

    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

  14. kalel33's Avatar
    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    I think your reasoning is a logical fallacy. What defines "app quality"?


    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Not a fallacy whatsoever. Given the choice I'd say that the apps on Android would be chosen at least 9 times out of 10 by a regular user. Pulse reader is better than any news app on WebOS, Doggcatcher better than any podcast app on WebOS, Android's Kindle app is better, Dolphin HD is heads and shoulders above Advanced Browser, there are a ton of calendar, grocery and scheduling apps that make the one's on WebOS seem archaic, WebOS best music player is only as good as the free one's on Android with nothing comparable to PowerAmp, Tango and Skype on Android function better than Skype on WebOS, where are the Flickr and Picasa apps on WebOS(there are paid ones but Picasa and Flickr didn't even do one for WebOS that would've been free), VLC can play all the formats that Kalemedia can and do it for free, and even the battery monitor and WIFI apps are much better.

    They're better because to get attention amongst the myriad of apps on Android you have to create great apps. There's a good chance that an app developed for WebOS has no competition or very few.

    The very best apps on WebOS wouldn't even be in any tech sites "top apps list" for each category if they were on Android. Obviously, some would be there that are the same on Android(Angry Birds and the lack of update Kindle app) and even many of the one's developed for both are more expensive on WebOS.

    The OS is not the problem with WebOS, it's the quality and the lacking of many "must have" apps will always be the Achilles's heel(that and how slow the Touchpad ran before having to do all the tweaks). WebOS apps either are inferior and/or cost more than Android apps, or they just don't exist at all on this platform(Evernote, Netflix, Pandora, etc). The devs have made some great apps but you can find better or pay less by adding Android. If WebOS had the Android apps I'd never have even thought about installing CM7.
    Last edited by kalel33; 11/27/2011 at 06:45 AM.
  15. #55  
    Not a fallacy whatsoever. Given the choice I'd say that the apps on Android would be chosen at least 9 times out of 10 by a regular user. Pulse reader is better than any news app on WebOS, Doggcatcher better than any podcast app on WebOS, Android's Kindle app is better, Dolphin HD is heads and shoulders above Advanced Browser, there are a ton of calendar, grocery and scheduling apps that make the one's on WebOS seem archaic, WebOS best music player is only as good as the free one's on Android with nothing comparable to PowerAmp, Tango and Skype on Android function better than Skype on WebOS, where are the Flickr and Picasa apps on WebOS(there are paid ones but Picasa and Flickr didn't even do one for WebOS that would've been free), VLC can play all the formats that Kalemedia can and do it for free, and even the battery monitor and WIFI apps are much better.

    They're better because to get attention amongst the myriad of apps on Android you have to create great apps. There's a good chance that an app developed for WebOS has no competition or very few.

    The very best apps on WebOS wouldn't even be in any tech sites "top apps list" for each category if they were on Android. Obviously, some would be there that are the same on Android(Angry Birds and the lack of update Kindle app) and even many of the one's developed for both are more expensive on WebOS.

    The OS is not the problem with WebOS, it's the quality and the lacking of many "must have" apps will always be the Achilles's heel(that and how slow the Touchpad ran before having to do all the tweaks). WebOS apps either are inferior and/or cost more than Android apps, or they just don't exist at all on this platform(Evernote, Netflix, Pandora, etc). The devs have made some great apps but you can find better or pay less by adding Android. If WebOS had the Android apps I'd never have even thought about installing CM7.
    That's exactly the fallacy. You say you don't buy apps because they're worse. I tell you they're worse because you don't buy apps. Plain and simple. Apps evolve because people supports them, not the opposite.
    Newness Developments apps:

  16. kalel33's Avatar
    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    That's exactly the fallacy. You say you don't buy apps because they're worse. I tell you they're worse because you don't buy apps. Plain and simple. Apps evolve because people supports them, not the opposite.
    Ah, I understand. It's not always because they're lesser apps. Sometimes I don't buy because they are charging well more than what I'm used to seeing(I'm not necessarily talking about free apps) on Android. It's like buying the groceries from the small town grocery store when the same things are much cheaper at the large chain store in the bigger city. Some people have to buy because they can't make it to the big store(Android). If all they know is the small store(WebOS) then they'd probably be happy paying the higher prices and less selection.
  17. #57  
    I wonder how long before developers start pulling their apps from the catalog.
    That probably will never happen for a vast majority of the apps, because we are not here for the money (in the sense of making bussiness) I think.


    -- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Newness Developments apps:

  18. #58  
    And if everyone stops buying from the smaller store (be it webOS or other smaller OS's that are around or may debut) opting to buy from the bigger stores (android/iOS) one day there will be no smaller stores and we will all be using the same phone, apps and these big companies that own us will know all they need to know to control what we buy and that goes for the small family run shops against the giants like Tesco, Wal-Mart etc we will also end up dressing, eating and looking the same! Cheaper isn't always better :-)

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
  19. #59  
    Ah, I understand. It's not always because they're lesser apps. Sometimes I don't buy because they are charging well more than what I'm used to seeing(I'm not necessarily talking about free apps) on Android. It's like buying the groceries from the small town grocery store when the same things are much cheaper at the large chain store in the bigger city. Some people have to buy because they can't make it to the big store(Android). If all they know is the small store(WebOS) then they'd probably be happy paying the higher prices and less selection.

    I can tell you mobile apps's market is pretty curious, and practically the only thing that defines revenue is the number of new users into the platform, and no matters how you price an app, you always get the same revenue. I tested this myself with a Forums sale I did, from 2,99 to 0,99: I got ten dollars more. What does that mean? The same revenue but three times new users to give support, answer e-mails, and so on.

    So it's better to price it high, because the less users to give support, the more time I can spend developing.

    I could price it lower to boost it's popularity (pricing is just a marketing resource for mobile apps) but it has no sense on a limited market like this one.
    Last edited by deCorvett; 11/27/2011 at 08:33 AM.
    Newness Developments apps:

  20. kalel33's Avatar
    Posts
    280 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    So it's better to price it high, because the less users to give support, the more time I can spend developing.

    I could price it lower to boost it's popularity (pricing is just a marketing resource for mobile apps) but it has no sense on a limited market like this one.
    I can see how that model works for WebOS but I don't think that would work with Android and the reason I say this is that I've sold many people on apps because I liked them so much. Word of mouth does not usually show up in sales but it does affect it immensly. The problem with word of mouth with WebOS is that a vast majority of people don't know another person with WebOS, but you can swing a bat and find someone with Android.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions