Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1.    #1  
    I'm a little intimidated by all the steps needed to overclock TouchPad. With the new kernel (like org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-touchpad_3.0.2-68_arm.ipk), can I just install the ipk file from WQI and forget about stuff like setting test feeds?

    Thank you for any suggestions. Don't want to brick the TouchPad by my mistake.
  2. #2  
    You don't need to turn on the 'test' feeds to use overclocked kernels. All you need is Preware installed and you will have access to stable overclocked kernels, which you can use without fear of bricking the TouchPad. Having said that, let me also clarify that so far there have been no known cases of someone actually 'bricking' a webOS device with any of the overclocked kernels. This includes the 'beta' and 'alpha' versions of the kernels available via the 'test' feeds.
    Last edited by Sanjay; 11/23/2011 at 10:41 AM.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  3. #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by accurian View Post
    I'm a little intimidated by all the steps needed to overclock TouchPad. With the new kernel (like org.webosinternals.kernels.uber-kernel-touchpad_3.0.2-68_arm.ipk), can I just install the ipk file from WQI and forget about stuff like setting test feeds?

    Thank you for any suggestions. Don't want to brick the TouchPad by my mistake.
    Uberkernel is not in the testing feeds so you wouldn't have to deal with that anyway.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the helpful answers by Sanjay and frontloader. One more question: Do I have to use preware? Can I just use WQI on a PC to install that kernel ipk file (like any other ipk files)? Is there any advantage using preware to install the ipk file? Thanks again for your help.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by accurian View Post
    Thanks for the helpful answers by Sanjay and frontloader. One more question: Do I have to use preware? Can I just use WQI on a PC to install that kernel ipk file (like any other ipk files)? Is there any advantage using preware to install the ipk file? Thanks again for your help.
    Preware makes it a lot simpler to install and uninstall, overclocked kernels, patches etc. It does away with having to connect to the PC and allows you to download and install kernels, patches and homebrew apps directly on your webOS device. More importantly, it makes it possible for you to check for updates to the kernels, patches, and apps and also to actually update them directly on your device.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

    Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  6. #6  
    IDK about WOQI but I've installed kernels by putting their link into preware's install package option
  7. #7  
    imo, Preware is easier than WOQI.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  8. qwst's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    #8  
    I haven't seen the overclock (beta) for 3.0.4. There is such a thing?
  9. wildblue's Avatar
    Posts
    56 Posts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    #9  
    Is there any particular reason you wouldn't want to use Preware? IMHO the benefits of having it installed far outweigh any perceived negatives (speaking of which, I can't even think of a single downside to having Preware itself installed).
  10. #10  
    qwst, the overclock kernels have been available since about an hour or so after 3.0.4 was available.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  11. #11  
    Let's put it this way: the developers of the kernels use Preware to install them, and we recommend you do to :-)

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by qwst View Post
    I haven't seen the overclock (beta) for 3.0.4. There is such a thing?
    You have to install the feeds. There are several threads here with how-to's. Do a search and follow the instructions.

    I recommend Uberkernel @ 1.5 . It's stable and runs without problems for me.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by chicle View Post
    You have to install the feeds. There are several threads here with how-to's. Do a search and follow the instructions.

    I recommend Uberkernel @ 1.5 . It's stable and runs without problems for me.
    You do not need to install any feeds for UberKernel on the TouchPad - it's in the default public Preware feeds. If you have testing feeds enabled just for this, you should swipe to delete them.

    -- Rod
  14. nToxik's Avatar
    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    #14  
    The only kernel you can install from preware without testing feeds is Uberkernel @ 1.5

    If you want a faster Uberkernel or want to try Warhogs, F4, F15C, etc., then you must using testing feeds.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by nToxik View Post
    The only kernel you can install from preware without testing feeds is Uberkernel @ 1.5

    If you want a faster Uberkernel or want to try Warhogs, F4, F15C, etc., then you must using testing feeds.
    That is correct. And you must ensure you agree to undertake certain obligations as an alpha or beta tester before you do so.

    The specific kernel in question in the first post of this thread is in the public feeds.

    It is unwise to point people to alpha or beta testing feeds when they have not even installed the public feed overclocking kernels yet.

    Would you advise someone who has never driven a car before to start racing in a Ferrari?

    -- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
  16. #16  
    Any one know how to fix or why every time I turn off my HP I lose my overclocking settings.
    Each time I turn it on I have to over it back to 1.5ghz. When it turn it off and turn it back on it set back to 1.118ghz. I hit the apply settings button but that only works while it is on.

Posting Permissions