Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI....see link. This does bring up an interesting thought....now Amazon could decide to buy webOS and still have it work on android apps...also keep in mind that much of the work that has been done to make at least soem android apps work on the TouchPad/webOS done on a shoestring and with almost no staff.....

Who knows but it's interesting all the same!

Take care,

Jay

HP TouchPad Users Can Now Connect to the Android Market
    By Sovan Mandal

HP TouchPad Users Can Now Connect to the Android Market | Good E-Reader - ebook Reader and Tablet PC News

Google has opened up the Android Market to those devices that did not come pre-installed with the app store. A minor update was all that was needed so users of the HP TouchPad, the Barnes & Noble Nook, or the Kindle Fire can now have access to the Android Market. All that they have to do is download and install Android Market on their device. The Android Market website has loads of third party developed applications that once a user can download and use.
    However, Google does not permit other online application stores to also be used on the device that is playing host to the Android Market. What this means is that if you have installed an app on your device from any other source, Android Market will be good enough to not only recognize that, but will also offer to update it if a more recent version is available. Here problems start to crop up, since it fails to update properly.
    So until Google ensures its Android Market can peacefully co-exist with other app stores, we’re waiting anxiously for another fix.
    Update: Install Android on your TouchPad HERE and Android Market Install Guide HERE.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/23/2011 at 01:56 PM. Reason: updated title
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Hi Jay, give us the links to HERE and HERE ;-)
    Thanks for posting.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
    I've only used CM7 on my touchpad a few times, but it already has Android Market on it; I installed Angry Birds Seasons, and something else too but I can't remember what it was.

Why is this news? What am I not understanding?
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    CM7 Alpha 3 was released today, further discussion on it can be found in the forums in my sig.

I've just installed it over Alpha 2.1 (I get a choice about whether to install an OS update? How quaint) and the process works well.
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    I've only used CM7 on my touchpad a few times, but it already has Android Market on it; I installed Angry Birds Seasons, and something else too but I can't remember what it was.

Why is this news? What am I not understanding?
    I guess it is rather stale news compared to the 'Will they won't they?' variety.
    Do you like Touchpads? Do you like Android? Do you hate Android but just need an app or two? Do you just like belonging to forums? Try this: http://forums.webosnation.com/android-touchpad/
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Here's a great 'how to" video: . Change the resolution to 720p and it's very clear.

I found it to be well worth the 2GB sacrifice. I mainly got it so I could have a browser I could sync with my desktop at work. Then I added Netflix and Crackle apps. Both work great. It boots into android very fast (under 30 seconds).

If you install Android you can expect to have to update it when HP does another WebOS update.
    why can webos run android apps as emulator like how the playbook does? HP should had invested into that for more apps and market share with webos.
    There's one thing that the computer industry has used about emulation -- you'll never build your own library if you have an emulation layer for something more popular. It's part of why you've probably never heard of a fantastic operating system called OS/2.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    palmless likes this.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

FYI....see link. This does bring up an interesting thought....now Amazon could decide to buy webOS and still have it work on android apps...also keep in mind that much of the work that has been done to make at least soem android apps work on the TouchPad/webOS done on a shoestring and with almost no staff.....

Who knows but it's interesting all the same!

Take care,

Jay
    You have misunderstanding what this means, it is simply that the android market now acknowledges TPs hardware that are running CM7, it has nothing to do with WebOS.

Sent from my touchdroid using Tapatalk
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    There's one thing that the computer industry has used about emulation -- you'll never build your own library if you have an emulation layer for something more popular. It's part of why you've probably never heard of a fantastic operating system called OS/2.
    That's why Apple nearly went bankrupt and linux was dead for years as a viable OS choice in the consumer market. RIM is headed down the same dark hole if they don't get their act together. HP's original plan to put WebOS on every computer they sold was the right idea. That would have attracted developers to create an ecosystem.
    Using Android? Ohhhhhh...

Ah, if worked with some VM...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    This is really old. I thought WebOS unlocked the Google AppStore and I was like ,but then I was like >_>
    It's not old news -- my understanding is that Google blocked the market from devices that did not license the Google apps, like the cheapo Archos-type tablets. It would appear that Amazon not licensing the Google apps has caused Google to make the clever move of enabling market access for those previously locked-out devices, undermining Amazon's plan to have Fire users only download from the Amazon Marketplace.

Pretty sneaky, sis.
    but I'm still missing something here... CM7 on touchpad always had the app market, so I don't understand what is new here as pertains to the touchpad.
    so basically just an advert for cyanogen/android touchpad users only, pity.
    There were many apps that you could not download from the Google Marketplace without having a device properly associated to your Google account. Looks like you can associate the TouchPad to your google account now, is what I'm thinking this means.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    but I'm still missing something here... CM7 on touchpad always had the app market, so I don't understand what is new here as pertains to the touchpad.
    This is a very confused story - I think this is what's happened.

In the past, you could load the market onto your touchpad but it was basically seen as a "generic" device of unknown specification. The upshot of this is if you used the web version of the Android market, it refused to acknowledge you had the touchpad associated with your account (even though you could download and use apps via the market app on your device). However in the last few days this has changed, if you use the web version of the market, now when you go to install an application, it now has the HP Touchpad listed as a device that you could push apps to as well as any android phones you have.

I am guessing that there is a threshold number of devices that Android looks for before it enables this feature for the device? I know that CM7 stats say there are at least 10,000 devices using CM7 because they have opted into providing feedback and X number more than might have it but have not opted into providing feedback.

Maybe the number of devices is something like 15,000?
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    It's not old news -- my understanding is that Google blocked the market from devices that did not license the Google apps, like the cheapo Archos-type tablets. It would appear that Amazon not licensing the Google apps has caused Google to make the clever move of enabling market access for those previously locked-out devices, undermining Amazon's plan to have Fire users only download from the Amazon Marketplace.

Pretty sneaky, sis.

"pretty sneaky, sis" Love the reference to a tv commercial for the Connect 4 game. Wasn't that from around the late '70s?

Update: I googled it and found a clip on youtube dated 1981:

I wonder how many readers recognized the reference.
    Last edited by rlopin; 11/23/2011 at 01:16 PM.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post

Pretty sneaky, sis.
    Hi & Thank you...it's a shame the person knocking the thread apparently didn't actually read the article...thank you for your in depth explanation.

Happy thanksgiving to all.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast