Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Wheel_nut
  1.    #1  
    Hubbie keeps using my Touch and when done, instead of turning it off he leaves it on. I go to use it and its empty.
    Regardless of that, it being on empty I am concerned that its wearing out the battery sooner this way.

What is the best way to handle it?
    Leave it on 24-7 or turn if off, shutting it down in-between?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ShelaghDB View Post
    Hubbie keeps using my Touch and when done, instead of turning it off he leaves it on. I go to use it and its empty.
    Regardless of that, it being on empty I am concerned that its wearing out the battery sooner this way.

What is the best way to handle it?
    Leave it on 24-7 or turn if off, shutting it down in-between?

Thanks
    Ask Ars: What is the best way to use a Li-ion battery?

One of the worst things you can do to a Li-ion battery is to run it out completely all the time. Full discharges put a lot of strain on the battery, and it's much better practice to do shallow discharges to no lower than 20 percent. In a way, this is like people running for exercise— running a few miles a day is fine, but running a marathon every day is generally not sustainable. If your Li-ion powered device is running out of juice on a daily basis, you're decreasing its overall useful lifespan, and should probably work some charging stations into your day or change your devices' settings so that it's not churning through its battery so quickly.

read the article

its worth while
    i leave my TP on all the time however during the week while i'm at work it sits in my touchstone all day, so the battery never really gets much of a chance to drain.

perhaps if you get a touchstone you can train your hubby to leave it in the touchstone when he's done with it.
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I leave mine on all the time, but it's usually on the charger. I put it in airplane mode so wireless processes aren't draining the battery and let it go to sleep. It only uses 3-4% overnight when I forget to charge it.
    can't you just set it to turn wireless off when sleeping?
    I have to turn mine off as it drains upwards of 5% per hour when in standby with wifi off.
    Pros: The pills were there.
    Cons: So was the tank.
    Being a discontinued product, once out of warranty, it will be easier to replace your Hubby than replace the Battery.

So, look after it (the Battery)!
    Mutoidi, gergev and Eigan like this.
    I never turn mine off. It's always on but I do a device restart every once in a while. While I'm sleeping, it just sits on the Touchstone. My Touchpad battery rarely gets below 15-20%.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheel_nut View Post
    Being a discontinued product, once out of warranty, it will be easier to replace your Hubby than replace the Battery.

So, look after it (the Battery)!

Hey, Wheel_Nut.. maybe that's another 'little job' for you?
    Finding a source of Li-Ion Batts of the right size/capacity and re-packing the TP packs.. there will doubtless come a time when all those Firesale (batt) units decide to 'expire' within about 6 months of each other!

That's one hulluva lot of Batteries!

I keep mine topped right up whenever possible.
    Though I have also read regarding Li-Ions, that if you are knowingly going to NOT use it for a considerable time, then 'storage' is best enacted at about 40% charge.. and in cool conditions if possible. Li-Ions also have no 'memory' effect.. so the necessity to periodically deep discharge is theoretically non existent.
    Their life span is related instead to a total number of full discharge cycles over that time.
    So:
    One 100% discharge//charge = 1 cycle.
    Two 50% discharges//charges = 1 cycle.
    Four 25% discharges//charges = 1 cycle.
    etc.
    For longevity therefore, that makes the Touchstone Charging Dock a very good idea!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/23/2011 at 09:47 AM.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I leave mine on all the time and usually charge it overnight. But, agreed that it shouldn't be run down to empty.
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    Ask Ars: What is the best way to use a Li-ion battery?

One of the worst things you can do to a Li-ion battery is to run it out completely all the time. Full discharges put a lot of strain on the battery, and it's much better practice to do shallow discharges to no lower than 20 percent. In a way, this is like people running for exercise— running a few miles a day is fine, but running a marathon every day is generally not sustainable. If your Li-ion powered device is running out of juice on a daily basis, you're decreasing its overall useful lifespan, and should probably work some charging stations into your day or change your devices' settings so that it's not churning through its battery so quickly.

read the article

its worth while

Thank you. Just did.

I was pretty sure your answer was the correct one and had told the hubby not to let it wear down that way ( fortunately this has only happened a couple of times now) but he didn't seem to believe me. Your post has convinced him that not to do so anymore.

Loved the post that said it was easier to get rid of the hubby than finding a new battery LOL

Thanks all.

I should mention that at least 2x that he has done this, its been hard to recharge.
    Once, last night, it would not recharge until i turned that half part of the round plug....which i think you are referring to as the touchstone.
    Once i did that, it did recharge but plugged in beforehand for several hours it wouldn't.

SO i CAN certainly see the problems that might occur by letting it drain fully
  12.    #12  
    What is this touchstone thing that everyone mentions?
    Is that the round plug thingie?
    Quote Originally Posted by xninjagrrl View Post
    I have to turn mine off as it drains upwards of 5% per hour when in standby with wifi off.
    Wow! I have mine overclocked to 1.8ghz and I've set the minimum to 540mhz. Wifi is always on. Even with that minimum I have gone days without getting anywhere near draining the battery. Something doesn't sound right with your drainage rates.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    The best thing about the Touchstone dock is that it's so easy to just drop the TP into the dock when you're not using it. That way it's always charged up and ready when you want to use it. If you don't have one, you should get one.
  15.    #15  
    ah ok...............i will look into it and see where i can get one here in Toronto.

Thanks
    What is this touchstone thing that everyone mentions?
    Is that the round plug thingie?
    It's the inductive charger that you can buy for the touchpad.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts

I should mention that at least 2x that he has done this, its been hard to recharge.
    You should have clipped him 'round the ear after the first time.
    Once, last night, it would not recharge until i turned that half part of the round plug....which i think you are referring to as the touchstone.
    Once i did that, it did recharge but plugged in beforehand for several hours it wouldn't.
    Yes, a good tweak of the ear works just as well.

ah ok...............i will look into it and see where i can get one here in Toronto.

Thanks
    Better still, get Hubby one for Christmas. :/
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts

Thanks
    Canada Computers was blowing out the Touchstone last week for $26. Some people price matched successfully with other stores.