Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    ...because now I am quite sad. I finally got around to unboxing my fire sale Touchpad a few days ago that I literally waited weeks to ship (ordered late August/early September) and did not receive it until first few days of November. Since they were going for $99, I figured why not take a chance? Now, I'm not upset over the build quality, software or performance. No, I'm depressed because this is my first experience with WebOS and I have unfortunately fallen in love with it, only to know that there is an extremely good chance that it will all be ripped away from me in the very near future. Thanks goodness I stumbled across the link to the WebOS survival kit on WebOS Internals so that I have the opportunity to enjoy this ride as long as possible even if the servers go dark. =\
    Welcome! If you are lucky, you'll be able to pick up a cheap Veer or Pre3, and see the phone experience as well.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Thanks. After reading many reviews and opinions I'm a bit lukewarm on the Veer, but may pick one up anyway just because. I've been stalking eBay for an ATT Pre3, but money is a little tight at the moment with the holidays coming up so it will have to wait. Hopefully there will still be a few floating around after the first of the year, but I fear if HP pulls the plug on this thing permanently the remaining handsets will disappear from the market quickly.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    You use this title to bait me into the article so I could defend for the TP!

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by matchqq View Post

Sorry about that. Guess I could have picked a better title for the topic. :O
    Quote Originally Posted by penthus View Post
    ...only to know that there is an extremely good chance that it will all be ripped away from me in the very near future.
    maybe not. there is good chance that next year you could buy nice ink jet printer running webos.
    Awesome thread....lol. I have a AT&T Pre 3 on H2O and love It along with my Tpad!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    maybe not. there is good chance that next year you could buy nice ink jet printer running webos.
    Yes, but a printer is a far cry from a tablet and/or phone. I may be buying an HP printer soon regardless. My own printer is starting to show it's age, and after effortlessly printing a document at my sister's house on her wireless HP printer from my Touchpad that gives me the perfect excuse to go ahead and pull the trigger on one.
    Good title, its got a 'hook' in it to reel you in! I wish I had gotten one of these TPs at the firesale price.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

...because now I am quite sad. I finally got around to unboxing my fire sale Touchpad a few days ago that I literally waited weeks to ship (ordered late August/early September) and did not receive it until first few days of November. Since they were going for $99, I figured why not take a chance? Now, I'm not upset over the build quality, software or performance. No, I'm depressed because this is my first experience with WebOS and I have unfortunately fallen in love with it, only to know that there is an extremely good chance that it will all be ripped away from me in the very near future. Thanks goodness I stumbled across the link to the WebOS survival kit on WebOS Internals so that I have the opportunity to enjoy this ride as long as possible even if the servers go dark. =\
    @ penthus

chin up lad! nothing is dead until the community gives up on it !

heck I'm running AmigaOS 4.1.3 right now as my main OS at home and will be running it on a brand new AmigaOne X1000 soon enough and people declared the Amiga officially dead back in 1994 LOL
    sent from my HP Touchpad OR AmigaOne X1000
    AmigaOS lives !
    Global Posts
    125 Global Posts
    Welcome to the club of those who realised how amazing WebOS is!

If you like WebOS, then you should definitely get a phone as well! To me, WebOS on tablet is really great, but on a phone it's just... magic!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    ...I wish I had gotten one of these TPs at the firesale price.
    One of the best tech bargains of all time. I had several members of my family (7 in all) order one when they went on sale and every single one of them is absolutely thrilled with it. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I am the techiest one of them, so I'm the guy everyone calls when they have a question. I've had to learn the ins and outs of this device in very short order. Only been using it since day before yesterday and I already have Preware, Uberkernel, Save/Restore, Xecutah, etc. installed and going through their paces. The learning curve hasn't been terribly steep since I'm a Linux hobbyist from way back, but it's certainly been fun!
    It won't be "ripped away" from you. Your TouchPad won't suddenly stop working if WebOS is killed, and by the time it does stop working, tablets will be much faster and better than anything on the market these days. Then you can take that $400 you saved (vs an iPad), and buy a screaming fast tablet!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdbr View Post
    It won't be "ripped away" from you. Your TouchPad won't suddenly stop working if WebOS is killed, and by the time it does stop working, tablets will be much faster and better than anything on the market these days. Then you can take that $400 you saved (vs an iPad), and buy a screaming fast tablet!
    By ripped away I guess I'm referring to the underlying ecosystem more than anything else. When the HP servers stop responding, there are certainly aspects of the experience, like official OS updates, app store and Synergy, that will go away and that will be somewhat tragic. I know that there are workarounds (I've downloaded the tools and have prepared to implement them if necessary) but it certainly won't be quite the same.
    Wish I'd never bought this thing.... for $530 !
    Its good, but not $530 good. All you firesale buyers did great. I find myself using it less and less. Needs alot of work. The picture app is a complete piece of crap, and that was one of the main reasons I got it.
    My Pre + is a hellova lot more useful for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by matchqq View Post

Ditto. LOL!
    it works best on cellphones
    my Veer has been very reliable as my main phone
    given all the problems with its release, my phone has surprised me with how well it meets my needs & is hands down the best smartphone I have used, either my own or that of my friends with which I played
    core functions like the phone, GPS, maps, internet access, messaging all work beautifully
    hopefully HP will realize that cellphones & tablets are important systems to pair with PCs in both enterprise & consumer markets
    with the Touchpad, Veer & Pre3 they have three excellent products which could succeed with a modicum of support
    they need to concentrate on making them work better together
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    what? only webOS printers? I've been holding off purchasing a new fridge because I heard
    webOS may show up on new fridges.

The OP mentioned bad build quality.... that's not unique to HP Touchpad. I've have very
    bad experience with Apple iPhone and iPads. The problem isn't with HP or Apple. It's
    those Chinese/Korean companies that build parts for American companies. You get what
    you pay for... if HP or Apple choose the lowest price for a particular part, it will be built
    at the lowest possible cost... it will be just enough to pass quality control...
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by friedscones View Post
    OP mentioned bad build quality.... that's not unique to HP Touchpad.
    I did? Actually I thought I stated just the opposite. I don't have a problem with the build quality at all (aside from fingerprints). Perhaps I worded it poorly?
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    I did? Actually I thought I stated just the opposite. I don't have a problem with the build quality at all (aside from fingerprints). Perhaps I worded it poorly?
    If fingerprint are your worst problem, you don't have any problems... LOL... Have huge fingerpring problems but does not stop my using it as much as possible... Love the tablet, Love WebOs, wish my Pre- had survived...
    Sadlly switched from Pre- to Sprint Nexus S 4G - An 32Gb Touchpad
    Laissez les bons temps rouler!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast