Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM2010 View Post
    Wish I'd never bought this thing.... for $530 !
    Its good, but not $530 good. All you firesale buyers did great. I find myself using it less and less. Needs alot of work. The picture app is a complete piece of crap, and that was one of the main reasons I got it.
    My Pre + is a hellova lot more useful for me.
    How did you not qualify for a rebate on the difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    How did you not qualify for a rebate on the difference?
    I bought from an online retailer who was selling well below the $599 price most others were at. When HP dropped the hammer I did call them and asked about the rebate. They would not honor it. I did however get the $50 promo code, but haven't even burned up half of it yet.
    Global Posts
    398 Global Posts
    btw - fingerprints don't show up if you have a skin on it - I had a great picture of my dog made into a skin at skinit.com so I haven't seen a single fingerprint for months

well 'cept on the screen of course but a nice microfiber cloth takes care of that!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Wish I'd never bought this thing.... for $530 !
    Its good, but not $530 good. All you firesale buyers did great. I find myself using it less and less. Needs alot of work. The picture app is a complete piece of crap, and that was one of the main reasons I got it.
    My Pre + is a hellova lot more useful for me.
    I understand that sentiment. On the other hand, if you had an iPad would you be using it? It nay be that your usage flow does not really include a tablet. For example, I used to use my iphone all the time, but now the tablet has replaced it. I've never tried the picture app so I don't know.
    bluenote likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by laserboy View Post
    I understand that sentiment. On the other hand, if you had an iPad would you be using it? It nay be that your usage flow does not really include a tablet. For example, I used to use my iphone all the time, but now the tablet has replaced it. I've never tried the picture app so I don't know.
    The picture app sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by laserboy View Post
    I cant honestly answer that since I haven't tried an iPad. I would most likely use the TP if the apps on it were more usable. My biggest disappointment with it has always been the lackluster performance from most of the "essential" of them (calendar, documents, photos, web). I wanted a good travel device to replace a netbook, and was expecting more for $500. I will give HP a chance to get it together, if ever.
    I've been seasoned to this, being a Palm devotee since the mid '90's.....
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    With all this discussion about it I'm genuinely curious what, specifically, are the perceived shortcomings of the photo app? Perhaps I'm just missing something, but in my short time with this tablet it seems to me to function as intended, which I believe is as a basic gallery, pretty much the same as on the Android tablets I've used i.e. You're able to scroll through the viewer pretty smoothly, pinch to zoom, etc. The only possible exceptions that come to mind is the inability to rearrange photos and albums and perhaps tagging. Not sure what else would be expected of a simple photo viewer/gallery. I'm honestly not trying to argue or defend it, I'm simply wondering as a new user what it is I haven't picked up on yet.

Edit: After digging around a bit more I've found that you can indeed do some album editing, so I guess that wouldn't be one of the failings. Or would it? Guess a lot depends on needs, expectations and perception, I suppose.
    Last edited by penthus; 11/23/2011 at 05:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by penthus View Post
    With all this discussion about it I'm genuinely curious what, specifically, are the perceived shortcomings of the photo app? Perhaps I'm just missing something, but in my short time with this tablet it seems to me to function as intended, which I believe is as a basic gallery, pretty much the same as on the Android tablets I've used i.e. You're able to scroll through the viewer pretty smoothly, pinch to zoom, etc. The only possible exceptions that come to mind is the inability to rearrange photos and albums and perhaps tagging. Not sure what else would be expected of a simple photo viewer/gallery. I'm honestly not trying to argue or defend it, I'm simply wondering as a new user what it is I haven't picked up on yet.

Edit: After digging around a bit more I've found that you can indeed do some album editing, so I guess that wouldn't be one of the failings. Or would it? Guess a lot depends on needs, expectations and perception, I suppose.
    How do yo edit photo albums?
    Well the photo app DOES work, its just how poorly it is structured. There are NO options to sort albums. Once you have a hundred or so albums accumulated its almost impossible to find what you are looking for. Scrolling around searching for a particular album gets ridiculous. It should at least sort by name, date, something!! Secondly, it displays the last pictures taken first, and the first ones taken are on the bottom, off the screen. Dont we usually start viewing an album (say a vacation) from when it began?
    Its just not very well thought out, and there's no way of setting it up to be.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder View Post
    How do yo edit photo albums?
    If you hit the icon that looks like a pencil at the bottom right you're able to select photos and move them to another album, or create a new album. Pretty limited, but it's there.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Well the photo app DOES work, its just how poorly it is structured. There are NO options to sort albums. Once you have a hundred or so albums accumulated its almost impossible to find what you are looking for. Scrolling around searching for a particular album gets ridiculous. It should at least sort by name, date, something!! Secondly, it displays the last pictures taken first, and the first ones taken are on the bottom, off the screen. Dont we usually start viewing an album (say a vacation) from when it began?
    Its just not very well thought out, and there's no way of setting it up to be.
    Ah, I see. I kind of thought it was something like that i.e. not behaving in a manner one would like or expect it to. It's unfortunate we're not able to re-sort the photos as well as move them between albums. Seems it would be simple enough to implement.
    Quote Originally Posted by penthus View Post
    Ah, I see. I kind of thought it was something like that i.e. not behaving in a manner one would like or expect it to. It's unfortunate we're not able to re-sort the photos as well as move them between albums. Seems it would be simple enough to implement.
    I was hoping it would be in 3.0.4 but there has been no mention of it there. Maybe in some future update. Geezzz, Window's been doing it since day one....
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    The picture app sucks.
    Woohoo... Get to use it again

TWack
    On my 4G TouchPad, Pre3 or Panda-Veer.
    If you like our patches, please consider donating to the cause.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
    The picture app sucks.
    What sucks is the stock photo viewing app in the ipod/phone & pad.. lots of albums and libraries in the TP.. I find the stock picture and video app to be pretty good actually.. just need decent light. Even sound quality is nice for video. That little sound app 'voice recorder' is aweful though, great idea, but for some reason doesn't record well.
    Last edited by stumblinh; 11/23/2011 at 08:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
    What sucks is the stock photo viewing app in the ipod/phone & pad.. lots of albums and libraries in the TP.. I find the stock picture and video app to be pretty good actually.. just need decent light. Even sound quality is nice for video. That little sound app 'voice recorder' is aweful though, great idea, but for some reason doesn't record well.
    The reason I think it sucks is there is now way to organize photos. When I sync them with my Snapfish account they show up in the album in the reverse order, with the most recent picture first and the oldest one last, not very good for showing slideshows.
    Great title! You caught me.

I, too, am hooked on WebOS. I did install a dual boot with Android, however. I like Android for the number of apps available. But WebOS is still a far better OS.
    **Intelligence is God given; Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!**

As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Well, sent a "hint, hint" email to the wife today intimating that I might just be interested in getting a Veer for Xmas. This webOS thing is really, really growing on me.
    I think you would find Webos really shines on a phone. That is where it all began. I have been on a Pre + for about 2 years and it works great. Just bought a Pre2 off Ebay to see if I like 2.0 better than 1.4.5.
    HP is a pack of dummies...I hate hate hate them for killing off my favorite OS!!!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj ozone View Post
    HP is a pack of dummies...I hate hate hate them for killing off my favorite OS!!!
    It is in bad shape, but not quite dead, so I'm not giving up hope just yet. ;-) My displeasure is directed more at that dunderhead Apotheker who obviously didn't represent the interests of the company as a whole since they dumped his **** after this monumental blunder. After all that this community had endured already, they deserved far better than what he gave them in return.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12