Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
Like Tree27Likes
    It is better to add certain people to your ignore list than argue with them, unless you just like to argue.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Looks more like the decision to kill it (along with PCs) contributed more to the losses then its popularity. Happy Thanksgiving!

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I hope you had a great Thanksgiving too!
    I hope you had a great Thanksgiving too!
    I did. Ate some good food. Hope you had a good one also.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    I just posted some information on another thread that I thought was useful to this thread also:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3252913

Qoute:

I've been tracking the Amazon bestseller list for the past few days now. Even in death the TouchPad is still high on the list. The TouchPad has held right at #8 or below for the past few days. Right now it is #8 on the list.

http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-E...bosnation0e-20

I think this is amazing considering that the TouchPad is not being produced anymore, the price is twice the fire sale price, and some of the Android tablets it competed with have been behind it for some time now. Not only that, but this is the buying season for Christmas.

This may be just one retailer, but we all know that Amazon is one of the largest retailers in the world. It seems that even in death the TouchPad is holding it's own and at twice the fire sale price.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Largely worthless without numbers, we know that tablets don't sell - for all we know sales of 400 could get you that place (I doubt it's even that high). We know the playbook has been a bomb and that is now 4 on that list. The Coby tablet is number 3 and there are only ten of them available and that is from one seller.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Largely worthless without numbers, we know that tablets don't sell - for all we know sales of 400 could get you that place (I doubt it's even that high). We know the playbook has been a bomb and that is now 4 on that list. The Coby tablet is number 3 and there are only ten of them available and that is from one seller.
    You have the use it's competitors from the story associate with this thread as a perspective. The Playbook caught me by surprised, but I remember that it recently had a big price drop. The Playbook price drop is going to be even bigger going into the holiday.

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/gadgetrevi...k-friday/28562
    Using the Amazon Best Sellers list to prove an item is truly selling takes me back to my HD-DVD-defending days over at the High-Def Digest forums. That list means absolutely nothing outside of Amazon and its sellers, but it was fun to have something to point to in those dark days of my chosen format getting pummeled by Blu-ray by every other indicator.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Using the Amazon Best Sellers list to prove an item is truly selling takes me back to my HD-DVD-defending days over at the High-Def Digest forums. That list means absolutely nothing outside of Amazon and its sellers, but it was fun to have something to point to in those dark days of my chosen format getting pummeled by Blu-ray by every other indicator.
    Not to get too much off topic but your HD-DVDs had one problem that pegged them more than anything else, the Playstation 3. Sony put its money were its mouth was by putting Blue-ray players in their Playstation 3s. Microsoft did not add a HD-DVD player to the Xbox by default. Not only that, the Playstation 3 was at the time the best and cheapest Blue-ray player, and it was cheaper than an HD-DVD player.

I agree that Amazon is only one retailer. However, it is a large retailer and the only retailer where you can still get a TouchPad with no strings attached. Bottom line it is the only data we have left that is available. I just amazed that the TouchPad is still doing well there despite all that has gone on in the past.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I just amazed that the TouchPad is still doing well there despite all that has gone on in the past.
    But we have no idea what "well" means on that list.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    But we have no idea what "well" means on that list.
    Better than the one after it and better then not being there at all, which is where it should be, based on what has happened.
  11. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    That's true.
    Not to get too much off topic but your HD-DVDs had one problem that pegged them more than anything else, the Playstation 3. Sony put its money were its mouth was by putting Blue-ray players in their Playstation 3s. Microsoft did not add a HD-DVD player to the Xbox by default. Not only that, the Playstation 3 was at the time the best and cheapest Blue-ray player, and it was cheaper than an HD-DVD player.
    Veering off topic, and I apologize -- there came a time of desperation towards the end of the HD Format War where Toshiba slashed prices on their players, to the point where an HD-DVD player could be had for under $100. Sales spiked and the folks on the HD-DVD side were crowing, but the fact is, as you pointed out, the PS3 created such a huge installed base just waiting to be activated, that it was pretty much over at that point.

But thank goodness one format won out, that crap with some movies not being available on the rival format was for the birds. I know physical media is on its way out, which is sad, because I've yet to find a streaming service that rivals Blu-ray in picture and sound quality, but I still love a good BD transfer. Ah well, times change.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    I know physical media is on its way out, which is sad, because I've yet to find a streaming service that rivals Blu-ray in picture and sound quality, but I still love a good BD transfer. Ah well, times change.
    Well, not too sad...By the time physical media disappears the streaming quality will be at blu ray levels.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567