Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
    Under what stone do you live? HP OWNS the app catalog, so they do make money out of it. It may not be enough to survive, but it's at least a nice bonus for them. Samsung doesn't get any income from the android market and they also pay to MS. Now, in which aspect isn't HP making slightly more profit in that aspect?
    Well, HP also owns webOS, and they didn't make money of it. Quite opposite. They do own app catalog, and all burden that goes with ownership. They made few insanely gracious discounts to attract people and motivate developers and they had this glitch with app prices in catalog with compensation to all affected devs afterwords....

... I'm going back under my stone now....
    It may not be enough to survive, but it's at least a nice bonus for them.
    The definition of "bonus" is something given or paid in addition to what is usual or expected.

Webos app sales is not a "bonus", its more akin to a life jacket.
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Under what stone do you live? HP OWNS the app catalog, so they do make money out of it. It may not be enough to survive, but it's at least a nice bonus for them. Samsung doesn't get any income from the android market and they also pay to MS. Now, in which aspect isn't HP making slightly more profit in that aspect?

Let's say I come to your house and I take all of the stuff out of it - when I leave, I give you a toaster. Would you consider that a bonus?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    The definition of "bonus" is something given or paid in addition to what is usual or expected.

Webos app sales is not a "bonus", its more akin to a life jacket.
    "bonus" as in "extra revenue next to webOS hardware". Jeez, was that so hard to understand?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Let's say I come to your house and I take all of the stuff out of it - when I leave, I give you a toaster. Would you consider that a bonus?
    That doesn't even come close to what we're talking about here. You're comparing apples to oranges.
    "bonus" as in "extra revenue next to webOS hardware". Jeez, was that so hard to understand?
    App revenue was expected. It is not extra revenue, it was expected all along. It's not a bonus. A bonus would be dual booting into Android. When people initially brought a Touchpad, they did not expect that one day they would be able to run Android on it.

That being said, with so few sold and based on what I see here on these boards, (people complaining about app prices, you don't need apps when you have a browser, etc.), that revenue is chump change.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 11/24/2011 at 07:15 AM.
    App revenue was expected. It is not extra revenue, it was expected all along. It's not a bonus. A bonus would be dual booting into Android. When people initially brought a Touchpad, they did not expect that one day they would be able to run Android on it.

That being said, with so few sold and based on what I see here on these boards, (people complaining about app prices, you don't need apps when you have a browser, etc.), that revenue is chump change.

So now app revenue was expected all along? Didn't you guys say that HP could not generate revenue from app sales? Didn't you guys say that HP would lose money on running an app store? Hey, at least HP has that revenue. None of the Android or Windows mobile tablet makers, with the exception of Amazon, have that luxury. No one knows how much revenue is generated from app sales, so everything is speculation.

I will speculate that HP made $200 million in sales on the TouchPad at an average cost of $125. If they only sold 1 million units, they made a sizable profit from app sales and services. If they sold over 1.2 million units they still made a sizable profit from apps sales and services. If the only sold 204,000, as the negative folks would have us believe, they made an unheard of profit on apps and services.

As for Android, CM7 is ok. Heck I asked for it. However, webOS kicks its behind on the TouchPad. Granted it is still in the Alpha phase but unless you need to watch a NetFlix movie or have an app you can't live without, there is really no use for it. Android 2.x is just not a good tablet OS. There are too many problems for too few gains.

I think we have all noticed the pattern with you and some others. Figure out any way to turn anything decent about the TouchPad or webOS into a negative. You have nothing to back your statements up beyond the negatives we already know. If you guys don't like webOS, well that's fine. However being overly negative about it on a webOS fan site is counter productive. Deal with the fact that it is number 2. That in itself is a cause for celebration in an uncertain world.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    His point was that if a $500 Android tablet dropped to $99, it would also sell like crazy. Let's say Samsung decided to drop the Android tablet business, and their Galaxy tabs went on sale for $99. They would last an hour before being completely sold out all over the world.

It won't happen since even though they sold only around 200,000, that is probably in line what they expected, and at $500-600 a pop, not a small profit either. Not iPad profits, but no other tablet will ever approach that.
    "If" is only this: "If". "If" is not a reality.

And "If" by "If", "IF" the HP has selling the Touchpad in all countries that the AndroTabs are selling... can you imagine the numbers?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Didn't you guys say that HP could not generate revenue from app sales?
    No, that they couldn't generate *enough* revenue from an app store to off-set the absolute bomb of the hardware in the market.

Didn't you guys say that HP would lose money on running an app store?
    They have.

No one knows how much revenue is generated from app sales, so please don't speculate.
    Since HP take a 30% cut, I'm guessing the App store does not generate $12 billion or so in its life-time?

I will speculate that HP made $200 million in sales on the TouchPad at an average cost of $125. If they only sold 1 million units, they made a sizable profit from app sales and services. If they sold over 1.2 million units they still made a sizable profit from apps sales and services. If the only sold 204,000, as the negative folks would have us believe, they made an unheard of profit on apps and services.
    They made no profit - it's a write-off, a billion dollar write-off. You can try and spin the situation but those are the facts:

* The touchpad line was effectively killed after 49 days
    * HP has taken a $1.5 billion or more bath on the whole thing.

You can argue "well it's because they didn't stick it out" or anything else you like but it's doesn't change the actual reality of 24/11/2011.
    "If" is only this: "If". "If" is not a reality.

And "If" by "If", "IF" the HP has selling the Touchpad in all countries that the AndroTabs are selling... can you imagine the numbers? $2

Best Regards...
    "If" is the statement of desperation and loss. "If they had just made that last touchdown, they would have won". "If I could just run faster I would have won that race". "If I had they're money, I would be rich, too." Well I will agree that if the Galaxy Tab sold for $99 they would have flown off the shelves also. I would buy one or two just for fun. Since "if" didn't happen and is probably not going to happen I believe we should take "if" and throw it off a cliff.

No, that they couldn't generate *enough* revenue from an app store to off-set the absolute bomb of the hardware in the market.

They have.

Since HP take a 30% cut, I'm guessing the App store does not generate $12 billion or so in its life-time?

They made no profit - it's a write-off, a billion dollar write-off. You can try and spin the situation but those are the facts:

* The touchpad line was effectively killed after 49 days
    * HP has taken a $1.5 billion or more bath on the whole thing.

You can argue "well it's because they didn't stick it out" or anything else you like but it's doesn't change the actual reality of 24/11/2011.

How do you know how much they actually made on app sales? I mean several folks here seem to think they sold only 204,000 TouchPads. Several folks here seem to think the TouchPad can't sell for over the fire sale price. Several folks here seem to think that there are only in between 500,000 to 1 million TouchPads sold. However, when we do the math based on the figures that HP gave us and using these folks speculations, we are left with a sizable amount of money that was not generated from hardware sales.

I don't think you will not find one person here that doesn't agree with you on the stupidity of HP and the amount of loss generated from this fiasco, which was their own doing. How do you waste $700 million winding down a division that only cost you around $200 million in annual salaries to run? That is criminal in my eyes. How do you cancel a product and not expect to have to pay the suppliers and manufactures the remaining money guaranteed in their contracts? HP could have slowly killed these entities off and save money. However, none of this what this thread is about. Despite all of HP's foolishness and mismanagement, the TouchPad is the number 2 tablet after the iPad. All of this wreaks of irony.

Edit: I also seem to recall arguing with you and others here when the fire sale started about how that stupid move would have catapulted the TouchPad to the number 2 position. I recall myself and others being ridiculed about that. Guess we were right.

Last edited by k4ever; 11/24/2011 at 08:18 AM.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    How do you know how much they actually made on app sales?
    We know it can't be any significant amount because of the figures in the Q4 results and the size of the bath they took, anything worth noting will have shown up there or changed the figures we saw.

Despite all of HP's foolishness and mismanagement, the TouchPad is the number 2 tablet after the iPad.
    Doubtful it will be for the year - even if the estimates for the Amazon Fire are 100%, it will still outsell the TP over 2011 (even though it was only available for two months of the year).
    We know it can't be any significant amount because of the figures in the Q4 results and the size of the bath they took, anything worth noting will have shown up there or changed the figures we saw.

Doubtful it will be for the year - even if the estimates for the Amazon Fire are 100%, it will still outsell the TP over 2011 (even though it was only available for two months of the year).
    Yeah, selling apps for 1 million TouchPads is definitely not going to make up for the $700 million lost on winding down the hardware division alone. You are preaching to the choir brother. Tell us something we don't know. However I believe there was a good amount of app revenue generated for the number of TouchPads sold when compared to the same number of other tablets sold during the same time period. Bottom line, HP made money on apps. Not enough to cover the losses they took through mismanagement, but you can't expect everyone who bought a TouchPad (or iPad or Galaxy Tab) to spend close to 30 times the amount of the purchase on apps.

Also, we are talking about the Touchpad's numbers up to now, which is what the story and thread are about, not for tomorrow or the next day. It is unrealistic and deceitful on your part to compare the Kindle Fire, a new product, projected future sales numbers to the numbers of the TouchPad, a product that was only produced for 3 months prior to be discontinued. It is amazing that it sold so well up to this point given the fact that they don't make them anymore and given all of the negativity spouted by you and others here.

wow so touchpad is number 2! I just wish HP had been as enthusiastic/fanatical about webOS as i was...shame on HP for even buying the thing...imagine where we would be now if HP had gone balls to the wall with touchpad!!
    I guess it's possible to survive on app store revenue in a world where bandwidth and storage and payment processing is free, as long as the owner of said app store doesn't pay developers out of their own pocket for weekly free app promotions.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    So now app revenue was expected all along? Didn't you guys say that HP could not generate revenue from app sales? Didn't you guys say that HP would lose money on running an app store? ...snip
    Where did I say that? If you're going to rant, at least get your quotes straight.

As for Android, CM7 is ok. Heck I asked for it. However, webOS kicks its behind on the TouchPad. Granted it is still in the Alpha phase but unless you need to watch a NetFlix movie or have an app you can't live without, there is really no use for it. Android 2.x is just not a good tablet OS. There are too many problems for too few gains.

I think we have all noticed the pattern with you and some others. Figure out any way to turn anything decent about the TouchPad or webOS into a negative. You have nothing to back your statements up beyond the negatives we already know. If you guys don't like webOS, well that's fine. However being overly negative about it on a webOS fan site is counter productive. Deal with the fact that it is number 2. That in itself is a cause for celebration in an uncertain world.
    The issue with the rest of your post is highlighted in red, for your convenience.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 11/24/2011 at 11:18 AM.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Yeah, selling apps for 1 million TouchPads is definitely not going to make up for the $700 million lost on winding down the hardware division alone. You are preaching to the choir brother. Tell us something we don't know. However I believe there was a good amount of app revenue generated for the number of TouchPads sold when compared to the same number of other tablets sold during the same time period. Bottom line, HP made money on apps.
    Well what sort of figures are we talking? Forgetting costs and app giveouts - if they did $300 million, HP's cut would have been @ $100 million. However, I saw a story today that said the android market has taken $350 million in revenue* over it's life. Does it seem likely that in such a short period of time that HP took in anything near that level of revenue?

What's your guestimate of what sort of figures we are talking about?

Also, we are talking about the Touchpad's numbers up to now, which is what the story and thread are about, not for tomorrow or the next day. It is unrealistic and deceitful on your part to compare the Kindle Fire, a new product, projected future sales numbers to the numbers of the TouchPad, a product that was only produced for 3 months prior to be discontinued.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities[/color]
    How is it deceitful? I'm not comparing every Kindle Fire sold ever - I'm talking about the period of 15th October - 31 December 2011 - a six week period which I *think* based on estimates of sales so far means that it will push the Touch-pad down to 3rd for the whole 2011 period.

* excluding in-app purchases.
    Yeah, selling apps for 1 million TouchPads is definitely not going to make up for the $700 million lost on winding down the hardware division alone. You are preaching to the choir brother. Tell us something we don't know. However I believe there was a good amount of app revenue generated for the number of TouchPads sold when compared to the same number of other tablets sold during the same time period. Bottom line, HP made money on apps. Not enough to cover the losses they took through mismanagement, but you can't expect everyone who bought a TouchPad (or iPad or Galaxy Tab) to spend close to 30 times the amount of the purchase on apps.

Also, we are talking about the Touchpad's numbers up to now, which is what the story and thread are about, not for tomorrow or the next day. It is unrealistic and deceitful on your part to compare the Kindle Fire, a new product, projected future sales numbers to the numbers of the TouchPad, a product that was only produced for 3 months prior to be discontinued. It is amazing that it sold so well up to this point given the fact that they don't make them anymore and given all of the negativity spouted by you and others here.

Sorry, we can't go by your believes.
    Last edited by sinsin07; 11/24/2011 at 11:40 AM.
    I have a dream... and in this dream, I'll gonna understand what the fans of the other SO's still doing here...

Because one thing I know: of course that is not to help anybody...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    I have a dream... and in this dream, I'll gonna understand what the fans of the other SO's still doing here...

Because one thing I know: of course that is not to help anybody...

Best Regards...
    A lot of people using other OS's are still here, cause they love webOS deep down, and just cant understand why a lot of basic things that were even present in palm OS couldnt be in webOS leave aside all new innovation in android and iOS. We are all tired of hearing, well when iOS was released it never was this good. We would be all happy if webOS actually did well and performed well. Like a browser that was better than safari.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast