Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes
  1.    #1  
    I can't believe how slick the Facebook app is on the WebOS. I don't think iOS's facebook comes even clclose. But just how bad is this app in functionality? Not showing public photos, can't delete comments, can't see news feeds sometimes! why?!? A perfect example of poor execution really!
    Last edited by billionaiire; 11/22/2011 at 10:20 AM.
    I can agree with that. Neat idea, poor execution. I frequently get stuck trying to slide panes back to the right.
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    Wow I checked out the Facebook apps on my TP and iPad2 side-by-side and I thought the iOS version killed webOS. The iOS has a couple of bugs but other than that it's butter smooth and generally very pleasant to use as opposed to the TP where it's very laggy and glitchy (for me).
    Its been discussed in here that Steve Jobs/apple were furious when they caught wind of the webOS facebook app being developed for the TouchPad and pressured facebook into limiting its features.
    Installed it for my wife, (I don't do Facebook) she tried it, hated it, said "I'll never use this again", I dumped it and that's that.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I think all native Facebook apps have their problems. If you really want to get frustrated, try the Android or WP7 apps sometime. They are both extremely dreadful in their own special ways.
    Quote Originally Posted by billionaiire View Post
    I can't believe how slick the Facebook app is on the WebOS. I don't think iOS's facebook comes even clclose. But just how bad is this app in functionality? Not showing public photos, can't delete comments, can't see news feeds sometimes! why?!? A perfect example of poor execution really!
    The new iOS Facebook (gray pane) is much better than the old version (tiles).
    My biggest issue with the webOS Facebook is how easy to is to slide the pane while posting on someone's wall. Also I accidentally brush Enter and I've posted 5 messages, 3 of which are empty.

Photo integration with Synergy is nice, though.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Global Posts
    254 Global Posts
    I dont mind the facebook app, find it handy for quickly viewing notifications
    Vistaus likes this.
    Exhibition mode is awesome, that is all. The FB app itself is serviceable, for full site features, go to the site, it's a 10 inch device.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I like how the app has a thumbs down but it isn't supported on the page itself.
    The problem with facebook, I think, is they keep changing things making it hard for app updates to keep up. I stopped using the facebook app for that very reason. When I first started using it I was impressed. Its getting more and more unresponsive over the last months. I use the web browser now.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    pinaklonkar likes this.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    All the Facebook apps suffer in functionality loss....its also been discussed on here that part of the reason is that those apps (even the ones made by Facebook) are considered third party, so the privacy settings of some people prevents statuses/photos etc from being shown.

Problem now is that facebook have munted the desktop and mobile versions now, so its a rock and a hard place for using it. Why couldn't they have just kept it simple like the original.....I thought the lessons from the disaster myspace turned into would have been heeded

Anyhoo, the Touchpad version is slow and buggy still :/
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Hmm I like it just fine. It does everything I do on facebook on a daily basis. And I think its laid out very nice with the sliding window panes and overlaid comment window when viewing full screen photos. Exibition mode is also attractive. Compared to the facebook app for Android on the touchpad, I would use webOS.
    Weaser999 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbyrne View Post
    I dont mind the facebook app, find it handy for quickly viewing notifications
    That's about all I rely on it for. It's fine for a quick view of notifications.

The fact that I seem to see about 1/3 of my news feed is the biggest deal breaker for the app.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Would we be able to patch it to better fit our needs, like the way it's done with the Calendar and Quickoffice PDF app? Or are Facebook APIs proprietary?
    Quote Originally Posted by penthus View Post
    I think all native Facebook apps have their problems. If you really want to get frustrated, try the Android or WP7 apps sometime. They are both extremely dreadful in their own special ways.
    I have WP7 and the app is only usefull for notifications haha.

I mean, its not TERRIBLE...but there are a lot wrong with it. I just use the people's hub and it works 10x better for most things i use facebook for.
    Mmmm I remember reading (somewhere, maybe modmyi) that it had something to do with Steve Jobs being mad with Facebook for letting Palm/HP use the Facebook API's. Jobs wanted the iPad version to be the defacto version. So he made some threat (can't remember exactly what) and got Facebook to pull the API's from Palm/HP.

I wish i could remember more details but my memory is crap.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Its been discussed in here that Steve Jobs/apple were furious when they caught wind of the webOS facebook app being developed for the TouchPad and pressured facebook into limiting its features.
    Completely discredited. It is HP and RIM that are writing these Facebook apps on the TouchPad and on the Playbook --- not Facebook developing these apps.

Apple and Facebook were fighting over Facebook Credits (and whether Apple gets a cut of that). Eventually, Facebook backed down.

Facebook Totally Caved To Apple On Its New Mobile Platform - Business Insider
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    It wasn't about facebook building the app. it was about Apple forcing facebook to limit (api) functionality available to HP to build facebook app....
    Quote Originally Posted by spud101 View Post
    It wasn't about facebook building the app. it was about Apple forcing facebook to limit (api) functionality available to HP to build facebook app....
    This is key.... no API's mean lacking certain functions... developers are seeing this with google too when it comes to google docs and what not, they change their API's and reduce functionality
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast