Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I have a chance to purchase a HP Touchpad 16 from a friend for $150. I am not sure whether I want it or not, but the price is definitely right. Has the homebrew/modding community really taken up the torch on this product? Is it going to be a paper weight in 6 months?
    Seriously doubt it will be a paper weight in 6 months because of webos. You can always root it to an android sys if you want later on and have an android based tablet that would have cost you $300 to $500.Just look at the nook or the amazon tablets. You get nothing near the TP at $200 and $250. I say buy it. (16gb's were $99 at fire sale by the way but $150 is still very good.)
    Quote Originally Posted by netrate View Post
    I have a chance to purchase a HP Touchpad 16 from a friend for $150. I am not sure whether I want it or not, but the price is definitely right. Has the homebrew/modding community really taken up the torch on this product? Is it going to be a paper weight in 6 months?
    No. Keep the cash and save for an iPad. You won't regret it! (I have both and the TP is a paperweight)
    It's a great buy, I use my TouchPad every day, awesome device for light computer tasks. Even if HP stops supporting webOS, WebOS Internals has already has plans in place to continue support for webOS devices. HP is still selling TouchPads with 1 year warranties so the support will at least continue for 1 more year. I hardly ever fire up my laptop any more and when I travel now I leave my laptop at home.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    if u want one for what it can do for you now then get it
    Unless the screen size is a must, get the Kindle Fire. Webos may not render it a paperweight, but the hardware probably will.
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I think unless you rely on some specific apps heavily that webOS doesn't have, it's a great buy. I use my touchpad everyday and I'm so happy with it.
    Last week, for the cost of an iPad 2, I bought a nice HP Pavilion g4-1215dx notebook plus a 32Gig TouchPad. I already had a TouchPad so I gave this one to my wife. She's very happy about it, much preferring her TouchPad over the Color Nook I bought her in the spring, in spite of my buying an n2a card to give her full Android CM7 after she became frustrated with the limits of the B&N software.

But we are long Palm Pre users who love the integration between phone and tablet. Further I'm a retired software engineer and view the TouchPad as generic hardware that can well run Linux or Android as well as webOS. (WebOS is essentially a gui shell over linux anyway.)

My TouchPad (bought day one) ended up costing me $50 after the refund and the rebates from being a week 1 buyer and a Palm Pre+ user. With the 3.0.4 update plus some nice Preware has made it a very nice platform. SplashTop allows me to watch live and recorded TV, Netflix, Hulu, etc from my home Media Center PC from any room in the house or even from across the country. The 50GB of cloud storage from box.net is more than I'll ever need for my music library, especially since I am now in love with Pandora which runs on both Pre phones, both TouchPads, and all our PCs. Skype works very well on the TouchPad w/3.0.4 and allows us to call anyone from our TouchPads for a small fee easily recovered by reducing the number of minutes in my Verizon subscription.

I've seen my daughter's iPad and am very satisfied knowing I have a system I control rather than an overpriced vendor-controlled device. But that's me and my wife... We hate living in cities and feeling dependent on others to "cook our soup".

Personally I think people need to view the tablet as part of a system. It needs to connect to everything, but it does not need to do everything. The phone should be extended by the tablet, not replaced by it; the PC should view the tablet as a wireless remote terminal, not a replacement. Only Apple and HP have (had) phones, tablets, desktops and servers, enabling the "ecosystem" concept. Too bad HP was so very foolish in managing webOS development and not ensuring the software was solid when the hardware should have been released, a good 6 months earlier than it was.

Time will sort out the place for tablets in the hierarchy.
    Last edited by CWFlink; 11/21/2011 at 08:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ukpetey View Post
    No. Keep the cash and save for an iPad. You won't regret it! (I have both and the TP is a paperweight)
    I'll give you $50 to get that terrible awful paperweight off your hands then.
    rstark, johncc, Rnp and 4 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by totoro80 View Post
    if u want one for what it can do for you now then get it
    I agree. If you will be satisfied with what the TP can do now, get it. If you are basing you're decision on what future OTA updates the TP will get, or possible future apps, or possible Ice Cream Sandwich port, etc don't do it.

There's no guarantee how any of these future plans will turn out. So if you're willing to deal with your TP as is (along with the Homebrew avaialble from the commuity), then get it. Otherwise, don't hold your breath over what future enhancements the TouchPad may get. Treat it as you would any other discontinued product when making your decision.
    Best $150 dollars I ever spent!!!
    I bought the HP touchpad for $300 via tigerdirect and didn't blink an eye. Could careless if I got the $150 rebate(be nice if I did but oh well) long time webos fan. Current android users and tech geek, and I have to say after using every OS out there. Webos just "gets it" which is sad cause I haven't had this much fun with a device since my Nokia N900(another dying OS) so imma enjoy the touchpad for what it can do now and dread the day I have to replace it. So as soon as I get a chance I will try and score an hp pre 3 to use on tmobile network.

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netrate View Post
    Unless you already have a large tablet (9-10 inch), it's a nice product. I just installed the Android alpha tonight, and enjoy having both WebOS and Android on a nice size tablet. Android is a nice addition as it has access to apps that either aren't on WebOS such as Netflix and Nook Reader or better versions such as Kindle and Zinio.

It's also a nice cheap way to create your own mini arcade machine, A TouchPad, the $80 iCade, and Mame4Droid is a nice combination.
    wait, what? iCade works with Android? I thought it docked to the iPhone connector?

If that's the case, a local store has about 2 dozen of them sitting on a shelf rotting for no good reason whatsoever, and I'm so on top of one, if there's some software for it.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    wait, what? iCade works with Android? I thought it docked to the iPhone connector?

If that's the case, a local store has about 2 dozen of them sitting on a shelf rotting for no good reason whatsoever, and I'm so on top of one, if there's some software for it.
    iCade works with webOS too.

It works by sending BT keyboard commands to translate into controller movement. As long as the app has the ability to accept keyboard input, it can use the iCade.

Check out this thread
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ng-ported.html

I linked to some info from the Palm developer forums where Ben was playing with one. Ben also confirmed that any BT controller that sends the commands as keyboard commands *should* work with webOS. webOS just doesn't support the profiles for BT gamepads.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    It's a great buy, I use my TouchPad every day, awesome device for light computer tasks. Even if HP stops supporting webOS, WebOS Internals has already has plans in place to continue support for webOS devices. HP is still selling TouchPads with 1 year warranties so the support will at least continue for 1 more year. I hardly ever fire up my laptop any more and when I travel now I leave my laptop at home.
    I haven't fired up my netbook since I got my TP in July... gonna have to fire it up soon to start pulling the tokens for all these webOS devices I've got laying around. I use my desktop in my home office probably once a week any more, and the wife maybe uses it a couple times a week.

We both use our TouchPads at least 6 days out of 7.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    "..I have a chance to purchase a HP Touchpad 16 from a friend for $150.."

Offer them $100.99c!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
    "..I have a chance to purchase a HP Touchpad 16 from a friend for $150.."

Offer them $100.99c!!

Not really a friend if he/she wants to make money off something that only cost $99 to
    begin with. (unless it was originally purchased for more than $150, of course)

Having said that, any Touchpad is worth buying under $150.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    The TouchPad is a wonderful buy. I've got two and will be purchasing a third. My wife hasn't turned on her desktop or laptop in months in lieu of her TouchPad. I use mine daily, and can quickly VNC to my work servers from the convenience of my Living Room when after-hours customer support is required. Sure beats running up the stairs and booting my desktop. It's nice for the occasional Skype call.

I've got an iPad too and find the TouchPad much more fun. The homebrew community for webos really makes a world of difference.

Sure there are pet peeves, but for $150 they are easy to overlook. Remember, this is about the price of a equivalently sized photo frame device, so what have you really got to loose?
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Sure there are pet peeves, but for $150 they are easy to overlook. Remember, this is about the price of a equivalently sized photo frame device, so what have you really got to loose?
    I spent way more than $150 on dinner for two last week. (and we were both still
    hungry afterwards) Didn't know French chickens were tiny... the size of baseballs.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast