webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > HP TouchpadGO stuck after IPK install
HP TouchpadGO stuck after IPK install
Like Tree28Likes

Old 11/20/2011, 08:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hi All,

I have a HP touchpad Go (7") that I tried to update with Chinese input (com.mporting.ime.zh-cn.patch_3.0.2_all) my firmware was 3.03 but since i found nothing else I gave it a try.. stupid me.

The device still boots but hangs on the screen <HP>, I can still connect via terminal, is there a way to reverse this? I cannot find any version of webOSdoctor for it since this item was never released, tried the touchpad webOSdoctor but this did not work
henri_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2011, 09:23 AM   #2 (permalink)

congrats, you killed a unicorn.
Consequence_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sketch42, Rnp, CvvB and 16 others like this.
Old 11/20/2011, 10:36 AM   #3 (permalink)

I would bet that it would be possible to create a metadoctor to make it flash a regular touchpad doctor but Rod from @webosinternals will probably need to actually use and test the device.
Old 11/20/2011, 10:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Esp considering, from all other reports we've heard, the TouchPad Go has built in Chinese input support.

Better look into that patch and see what it changed and figure out how to un-change it. Or send it to Rod.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and blue duck butter like this.
Thanked by blue duck butter, Rnp
Old 11/20/2011, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Can we have the patch so we can actually create a reverse for it?
CvvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/20/2011, 12:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

So.... You just killed one of the most sacred webos devices ever. >.>
giggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp and Vistaus like this.
Old 11/20/2011, 12:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by henri_p View Post
Hi All,

I have a HP touchpad Go (7") that I tried to update with Chinese input (com.mporting.ime.zh-cn.patch_3.0.2_all) my firmware was 3.03 but since i found nothing else I gave it a try.. stupid me.

The device still boots but hangs on the screen <HP>, I can still connect via terminal, is there a way to reverse this? I cannot find any version of webOSdoctor for it since this item was never released, tried the touchpad webOSdoctor but this did not work
<<Staff edit>> PLEASE boot into recovery mode and make a memboot backup from there before you mess the device up any further. I'll need that backup from you when you decide to accept my offer later on!

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 11/23/2011 at 11:50 AM. Reason: This isn't the marketplace forum.
TopTongueBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: craftsman
Old 11/23/2011, 12:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hi Barry

I managed to get a install file, will get it on Thursday, I can upload this somewhere if needed
I also noticed that this device was actually made for ATT .. a shame it didn't go trough since it looked very professional

as for the patch, you can find it here >Download com.mporting.ime.zh-cn.patch_3.0.2_all.ipk for free on uploading.com

Sorry for killing this "Unicorn" ... but he wasn't a unicorn, I managed to get some more, will keep you guys posted
Thanked By: sketch42
Old 11/23/2011, 12:36 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Esp considering, from all other reports we've heard, the TouchPad Go has built in Chinese input support.

Better look into that patch and see what it changed and figure out how to un-change it. Or send it to Rod.
Basically, this touchpad go gave me only 2 choices, English and Spanish ...
Old 11/23/2011, 12:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
if you hold the Power Button + Volume Up + Home button

i believe it will start a Full erase

follow me on twitter or Catch me at LOOT

ATTN: If You like my Patches or Themes please feel free to DONATE
sketch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 01:02 AM   #11 (permalink)

nope..that puts it in recovery mode, but without the correct webosdoctor... useless
Old 11/23/2011, 01:07 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
nope..that puts it in recovery mode, but without the correct webosdoctor... useless
are you sure?

i dont meant Vol. up + Power

you need all three

Home + Vol. Up + Power for 15 seconds

or try

Home + Vol. Down + Power for 15 seconds

http://forums.precentral.net/3044655-post14.html
http://forums.precentral.net/3044890-post16.html

Old 11/23/2011, 01:11 AM   #13 (permalink)

I don't think a full reset or full erase will help him at all. the patch modified things in webOS so that it won't boot. a full erase doesn't change any OS files, all it does is remove all the apps and user data, plus divorce it from the webos profile.

what's needed is a careful examination of the patch file so that whatever it did can be undone; hopefully the patch script made backups of the file(s) it changed so recovery would simply be a matter of putting the original files back in place.
johnsonx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 01:21 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
I don't think a full reset or full erase will help him at all. the patch modified things in webOS so that it won't boot. a full erase doesn't change any OS files, all it does is remove all the apps and user data, plus divorce it from the webos profile.

what's needed is a careful examination of the patch file so that whatever it did can be undone; hopefully the patch script made backups of the file(s) it changed so recovery would simply be a matter of putting the original files back in place.
no a full erase squashes everything .. including usb drive.. its sorta like a dr visit just worse cuz the usb partition gets wiped as well

Erase Apps & data is what youre talking about

either way according to you doing the full erase wont alter any of his altered files so he has nothing to lose if he tries it

Old 11/23/2011, 01:25 AM   #15 (permalink)

when I said user data, I meant the 'usb partition' too. that's user data. it's not at all like a doctor visit. the doctor re-installs the os from original files. the full erase doesn't touch the OS.

the point is though it's not going to fix anything. in fact if the script made backup files, it's possible the full erase would erase them if it put them anywhere that's going to get erased.

in other words, at this point doing a full erase would be ineffective at best, and possibly could close avenues of recovery.
johnsonx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by henri_p, sketch42
Old 11/23/2011, 01:28 AM   #16 (permalink)

No wonder the device is stuck. I guess, also, the HP logo sits still and doesn't glow. Correct?

I can see that the IPK is changing a bunch of Luna and system Libraries ... I don't know why. I am not at home currently, once I get back, I will try to determine which libraries are most vital.

What you can do now is: Contact one of the people who has the same device and try to get a copy from him/her. I will try to outline the important libraries you can copy once I get back home. Also, don't forget to attach "/var/log/messages" here so I can narrow down my search.

EDIT:
Question, can you open the "Linux Commandline" from webOS Quick Install? Better yet, can webOS Quick Install identify the device and deal with it correctly?

Regards,
CvvB is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: henri_p
Old 11/23/2011, 02:24 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Hi Barry

I managed to get a install file, will get it on Thursday, I can upload this somewhere if needed
I also noticed that this device was actually made for ATT .. a shame it didn't go trough since it looked very professional

as for the patch, you can find it here >Download com.mporting.ime.zh-cn.patch_3.0.2_all.ipk for free on uploading.com

Sorry for killing this "Unicorn" ... but he wasn't a unicorn, I managed to get some more, will keep you guys posted
Please do, Rod should get first dibs on one. Then you could draw straws for the rest of them .... Oh, and don't forget about one for muah, I'd hope to get TP GO #2, after Rod's of course. Then you could pull random names out of a hat or do the straws thing. Something like that. .....

Don't rush into doing that full erase or anything drastic, please hold off. Follow Rod's advice and sit tight. Now that you've provided the patch you used, several of us are looking at options for you . A script to reverse or back out of the patch might be possible, and that would hopefully save the device.

Even though you are getting the install files on Thursday, you need to make sure those are good before taking any drastic measures to attempt recovery of this rare (or one of a kind) device. Find a way to test them first, maybe use the install files on one of those other devices you refer to (feel free to avoid testing them on one of the two that's hopefully earmarked for Rod and I

Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 11/23/2011 at 02:50 AM.
TopTongueBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/23/2011, 02:25 AM   #18 (permalink)

You are 100% correct about the logo... it just sits there doing nothing

I can still connect via novaterm, and also via quickinstaller
Attached Files
File Type: txt messages.txt (484.7 KB, 15 views) Email Attachment
Old 11/23/2011, 02:29 AM   #19 (permalink)

this is the screenshot from webOS quickinstall
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Full page photo.pdf (661.2 KB, 62 views) Email Attachment
Old 11/23/2011, 04:10 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
So this was actually one of the rumored AT&T Touchpad GO devices. Explains the lack of Chinese input.

These were supposedly coming to market about a month or two after the TouchPad GO in Asia. Sounds like you have found more than one or two of them. Can you share how extensive a supply you have?

As for webOS 3.0.3 that's what version was being installed on the Engineering , Test, and development Touchpad's and Touchpad Go's back in Auguest when duffASS Leo dropped the hammer. It's basically version 3.0.4 minus a couple late fixes and it includes 3G/4G support.

The differences between 3.0.2 and 3.0.3/4 are many and you DON'T want to put any patches designed for 3.0.2 on a 3.0.3/4 Touchpad, whether its the 9.7" or 7" model.

I'm sure you figured that last part out now, just wanted to reinforce it.

Can you elaborate on how many of these originally destined for AT&T 7" devices you have run into?

Tags
hangs, tochpad, webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0