Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
    My son dropped my 32GB touchpad today and the screen is totally cracked all over.

May try the above $33 solution.
    I actually went ahead and purchased from the Ebay link provided here just after I posted that I might do it. Well it arrived today around noon in the mail! Talk about fast shipping and I didn't pay for expedited shipping either!

I'm heading to Nashville tomorrow to have the screen replaced. I read a couple of online tutorials on how to do it, but I don't have the tools, nor inclination to get them. Plus the guys where I'm going specialize in screen replacements for iPhones and iPads and all that kind of stuff.

We'll see how it goes....

(Pictures are attached of the damage)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    derrig likes this.
    Virtualkyr, thanks for the pics. Good luck today with the fix. How did you find your fixit guy? And I wonder where USmobileparts got their screens. Pretty neat stuff.
    You plug your phone in?
    Woosh - a good friend in Nashville had this company repair his broken iPhone screen. He was very pleased with the service.

Yesterday, I took off from work and drove 1.5 hours to Franklin TN (just a few miles South of Nashville) to get my TP screen replaced with the one I got off Ebay from the link in this thread. The office he is in, is about a mile behind Dave Ramsey's Plaza.

It was the first time this guy had ever done a TouchPad. It only took him about 30-45 minutes to get it done. Looks just like new. It was about $30 for that screen and $30 for him to install it. So for $60 I'm very satisfied.

He primarily does iPhone and iPad replacements and fixes... and does about 25 screens a day!! I was amazed!

Anyways, if you're within 2 hours of the Nashville area: Center Stage

He says he also gets shipments of stuff from all across the US too.
    Last edited by virtualkyr; 02/11/2012 at 01:44 PM. Reason: added more info.
    Hi can you take the home button out of the old screen, the replacement one I got on eBay just has a space where the home button should be
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinnersboy View Post
    Hi can you take the home button out of the old screen, the replacement one I got on eBay just has a space where the home button should be
    Yes - the home button isn't actually a part of the screen, it just sticks up through it.
    Quote Originally Posted by qwst View Post
    How did you break the glass? I was under the impression the TP came with gorilla glass. No?
    I've read many times the TP has gorilla glass but not 100% sure of it.
    Even so, it's tough glass but not unbreakable.
    I've read more than one report of gorilla glass shattering on concrete.

On the Corning site FAQ it states:

CAN I BREAK GORILLA GLASS?
    If subjected to enough abuse, Gorilla Glass can break.
    However, Gorilla Glass is better able to survive the real-world events that most commonly cause glass to scratch, chip, or break.
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    Yes - the home button isn't actually a part of the screen, it just sticks up through it.
    When I took off the screen the home button was attached and secured in place by a small circuit board which seems to be glued in place
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinnersboy View Post
    When I took off the screen the home button was attached and secured in place by a small circuit board which seems to be glued in place
    The thing is, the broken glass that you need to replace, is glued to that plastic frame which contains the button circuit board. You need to remove the broken glass from that frame, and then replace it with the new glass you bought. (the new glass does NOT have a plastic frame right?)

The adhesive that keeps the glass on the frame holds it very securely, so you need to use a blow dryer to heat it up a bit so you can pry it off a bit at a time. It can be a bit tedious, but it does come off. Oh, and try not to burn your fingers - ouch!

Also, keep in mind that depending on how badly broken the glass is it may not come off in one piece. You might need to use tweezers to get rid of the little shards.

In post #16 earlier in the thread, you can look at numbers 4 to 7 for relevant tips.

Hope it goes well! Feel free to ask if anything isn't clear enough.
    How much are you guys saving with the repair over buying a used one on ebay/CL?
    Quote Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
    The thing is, the broken glass that you need to replace, is glued to that plastic frame which contains the button circuit board. You need to remove the broken glass from that frame, and then replace it with the new glass you bought. (the new glass does NOT have a plastic frame right?)

The adhesive that keeps the glass on the frame holds it very securely, so you need to use a blow dryer to heat it up a bit so you can pry it off a bit at a time. It can be a bit tedious, but it does come off. Oh, and try not to burn your fingers - ouch!

Also, keep in mind that depending on how badly broken the glass is it may not come off in one piece. You might need to use tweezers to get rid of the little shards.

In post #16 earlier in the thread, you can look at numbers 4 to 7 for relevant tips.

Hope it goes well! Feel free to ask if anything isn't clear enough.

Wow I would have never figured that out my replacement screen came with no instructions.Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    How much are you guys saving with the repair over buying a used one on ebay/CL?
    I just had to do mine again (see posts earlier in this thread for the first time) this past week.

Not only mine, but my 4 year old son's also.

I ordered two more replacement screens and drove them up to Nashville. Total Cost to for labor on both TPs was $60. The screens cost me about $40.

So, for $100 I got two functional TPs again.

That's still cheaper than what you can buy one for online.

Cracked the screen on my 64GB Touchpad, is it just the glass or the LCD also?

I need to disassemble my touchpad to replace a faulty touchscreen. I've looked at the iFIXIT pictures but can't tell which direction the J-clips release. Do I press them inward away from the case's outside edge, or outward toward the case's outer edge?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12