Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ribeyesteaks
  • 1 Post By melanogaster
  1.    #1  
    Hi folks,

So, I want to go back to 3.0.2 on my other TP to make some comparisons to 3.0.4. It seems to me that the battery life in standby mode on 3.0.4 sort of sucks. I can't say for sure, exactly, and would like to do a benchmark. The biggest problem for me is that 3.0.2 automatically does the 3.0.4 update (eventually) even though the user requests not to. That was extremely annoying to me when it did that. So, has anyone figured out how to completely disable system update monitoring on 3.0.2?
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    stop UpdateDaemon, then remount / re, remove the executable flag of the UpdateDaemon and no one will bother you again.

Code:
    stop UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,rw /
    chmod -x /usr/bin/UpdateDaemon
    mount -o remount,ro /
    I wish I had done this, I let my 3 yr old son use the Touchpad and he updated it for me
    I'm a total noob and have avoided charging on the touchstone to prevent automatic update. Could some one (perhaps @filmor_) please explain, as in a tutorial, step by step as to how I can disable update and of course remove the patch once we have a stable version.
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by melanogaster View Post
    I'm a total noob and have avoided charging on the touchstone to prevent automatic update. Could some one (perhaps @filmor_) please explain, as in a tutorial, step by step as to how I can disable update and of course remove the patch once we have a stable version.
    Count me in on this one too. I don't want to update to 3.04 I'd rather wait for 3.05 or just stay at 3.02 for now and I would like to be able to use my touchstone again. I don't have any problems with 3.02.
    thanks for posting this ribeyesteaks and melanogaster.
    shanpalm61
    I'm not sure that this method works, to be honest. I reverted back to 3.0.2 due to the messaging app not working and tried the method above to make sure it wouldn't autoupdate back to 3.0.4. Since then, it has been notifying me of app updates, which if I'm understanding correctly, if you turn off UpdateDaemon, it should not be doing. It hasn't told me to update the system back to 3.0.4 though, but I've also been careful to never charge it when wifi is on, which may or may not be totally unrelated.
    You should be able to charge with the touchstone all you want... Just turn off the wifi connection. Thing cant do anything if its not connected to the server. I've been using the touchstone for weeks, no 3.0.4.
    Unless the TP capable of doing things against it's owners wishes? Hmmmmm....
    If your pad is on 3.02 and you have 10 minutes to test a website that is not working on 3.04, please let me know, thanks.
    I've had no problem disabling the update - easy to do, no command line needed. This is what I did...

> Install Internalz Pro.
    > Open Internalz Pro and tap on the top folder (the one with only two dots). Repeat until you get to the root (under the Internalz Pro label it shows a slash " / ").
    > Scroll down and tap on the "usr" folder.
    > Tap on the "bin" folder.
    > Scroll down to the file "UpdateDaemon" then tap on the number on the far right.
    > Tap on "Info".
    > Tap on "Linux Permissions".

There are three columns: User, Group, Other.
    There are thee lines of switches: R (stands for READ), W (stands for WRITE), X (stands for EXECUTE).

Set the switches like this:

+R +R -R
    -W -W -W
    -X -X -X

Tap OK.

Done. No more auto-updates.

Regards,
    GEWB
    Using internals pro looks like easy, but it was read only, no permission to edit
    Quote Originally Posted by seylee View Post
    Using internals pro looks like easy, but it was read only, no permission to edit
    In "just type" enter "webos20090606" to put you Tp in developer mode, first.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Hi,
    I here there is a new update 3.0.5 that fixes the accelerometer issues. Excuse my ignorance but how would I go about re-enabling the HP touchpad updates? Thanks!