webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Missing Bookmarks, No e-Mail, No connections?
Missing Bookmarks, No e-Mail, No connections?
Like Tree1Likes

Old 11/18/2011, 10:00 AM   #1 (permalink)

So far the Touchpad has given me no major problems but this. I tried searching the forums with no results. Problem is that after the Touchpad has been on for probably 20 hours (most of the time I leave it overnight), the bookmarks in the browser are missing, the "search" bar in the browser won't search (only works if I put in a whole address like precentral.net) I don't receive any more e-mails, I can't see any pictures from my Photobucket account, the App Catalog doesn't load, Facebook won't load, etc. Seems like it cuts off all connections. Only way to fix it is to restart the device, sometimes twice.

Maybe it has to do something with Preware?
chilean03n is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: divuer
Old 12/28/2011, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm seeing this problem with missing bookmarks too, not noticed any other problems since I usually reboot as soon as I notice the missing bookmarks.

Only started after 3.0.4 update.

EDIT: found a couple more sketchy reports of this problem:
- Disappearing bookmarks?
- Bookmarks

Last edited by stuckinstandby; 12/28/2011 at 12:15 PM.
stuckinstandby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2011, 04:34 AM   #3 (permalink)

I lost my email too. The native app says no internet connection, but my web browser and podcast apps work just fine.
JaimitoBond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2011, 12:31 AM   #4 (permalink)

Lost bookmarks.
twstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 04:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Having this same problem with exactly the same symptoms. After 10-20 hours the book marks just don't work. Any news on this?
engreeks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2012, 08:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm having the same problems, no bookmarks, history, email I also get a no internet connection but still loads web pages all this after it sits overnight.
shinigami#WN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2012, 09:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

I am also having this same issue. Similarly, it typically happens sometime overnight. When I first turn on the screen and try using email, preware, or audiophileHD pro (music player), the loading wheel for the latter 2 apps continues to spin with no remorse. My mail app doesn't display any of the mail I have nor does it load anything; the refresh button instantly displays 'no internet connection' after being pressed. I should also note that I actually have an internet connection during all of these issues, but since it doesn't load my music either, I'm thinking this has nothing to do with having internet or not, though it saying that I don't is still a side effect. The only resolution is to do a full restart. I've noticed if I first try a lunar restart, it hangs with the HP logo loading and requires a forced shutdown.

I really wish I knew what was going on here!
jmane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/05/2012, 10:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

I haven't found a solution, but I did load an app called "reboot scheduler" and I have it set to reboot once a day, which resolves these issues most of the time.
engreeks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/29/2012, 08:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

My wife's TP - which we got during the initial Fire Sale - has recently begun the loss what i consider personal settings when sitting "overnight". We haven't really determined a common denominator on when it happens - assume over night or during the day of non usage. Bookmarks are gone. The Facebook app just spins looking for content - and the Yahoo e-mail may show that it has 2 new messages - but there are no messages shown. I assume that the 2 new messages notification (example) was before the "unknown occurrence" takes place and it retains the notification. Similar is if there is a Facebook notification, that icon is shown on the start up page even though the account cannot be found.

The reboot of holding both power buttons has corrected so far - but that seems excessive and I've read that some say that for them that "fix" stopped working.

My TP which we got at Christmas has so far not experienced anything close to these issues.

Hoping that others will see this active thread and share a simple corrective action.
jwcmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2012, 06:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

I've had my TP since the firesale with no real issues. Normally I would restart it about once a week and that was it. I first encountered the "missing bookmarks" syndrome along with the disappearance of all the content in the Music library just about 3 weeks ago. The very fist time it occurred I had been using it continuously for over 2 hours. Choosing to 'Restart' from 'Reset Options' brings everything back to normal. Not a big deal but it is starting to get annoying.

The TP is the 32GB with 16.5GB still available, running 3.0.5.
divuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2012, 09:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

Yeah I think I am experiencing something similar. I get a lot of 'No Internet Connection'. In the Browser I can usually ignore these but something like Box.Net just wont login because of 'No Internet Connection'. After a Device Reset when I type a web address into the Browser I get suggestions for web addresses I have already visited. But after a while I dont get these suggestions any more.

Other effects: some apps wont start eg Kindle, Preware., just the spinning circle.

Doing a Device Reset always fixes all of the above but I seem to have to do this more frequently. It is become more and more irritating. I think for me this started with 3.0.5 - it might have been there at 3.0.4 but nowhere near as bad.

Andrew
andyc247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2012, 11:51 AM   #12 (permalink)

I started having the same issue a couple of weeks ago. Complete restart gets everything working again. In my case it seems to be related to the touchpad having been in exhibition mode. I have really only seen this after exhibition mode has been active. Have even tried different programs in exhibition but still does this funky thing. Won't show emails, browser history, etc. Until I do a complete device restart. Tried doing just a luna restart but it did not seem to be able to do a luna restart, just sat on spinner for a long time. Hope someone out there has an answer, very frustrating. Even tried having the touchpad do a full restart during the night (preset reset). Doesn't help.
I actually have the problem right now as I type this...just took it of touchstone,exhibition mode. Time to reset again.....
Can anyone else associate their issue with exhibition mode?

Last edited by dballew; 03/12/2012 at 12:43 PM.
dballew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/12/2012, 12:40 PM   #13 (permalink)

Update to my previous post. As a test. just tried Luna restart and after 30 minutes it was still on the glowing HP logo screen. Had to do the 3 button restart....
Old 03/13/2012, 08:00 AM   #14 (permalink)

I'm also experiencing this issue. Restart seems to fix everything.

I'll add also one other symptom, as it were.

Sometimes when my TP has this issue, and I'm at work to start the day, it will show me as already connected to the secure network I use. When I open a browser, it will connect to the log in networking interface, but not the app like it normally does.

It will be interesting to see if HP can manage to fix this.

But when the new iPad came out, I was very tempted to buy one, simply because it would be nice to have something that 'just works' as it should, and doesn't need random restarts...
frank-barnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2012, 09:36 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dballew View Post
I started having the same issue a couple of weeks ago. Complete restart gets everything working again. In my case it seems to be related to the touchpad having been in exhibition mode. I have really only seen this after exhibition mode has been active. Have even tried different programs in exhibition but still does this funky thing. Won't show emails, browser history, etc. Until I do a complete device restart. Tried doing just a luna restart but it did not seem to be able to do a luna restart, just sat on spinner for a long time. Hope someone out there has an answer, very frustrating. Even tried having the touchpad do a full restart during the night (preset reset). Doesn't help.
I actually have the problem right now as I type this...just took it of touchstone,exhibition mode. Time to reset again.....
Can anyone else associate their issue with exhibition mode?
Interesting what you said dballew. Now I think about it I recently added a Touchstone and maybe my issues do correlate to when I Introduced it rather than a WebOS upgrade. I might try charging via the USB and not using the Touchstone and see if I still get issues.
andyc247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2012, 10:38 AM   #16 (permalink)

I had this similar issue couple of months ago, I found it really annoying to reset the touchpad frequently. I had to doctor the touchpad and now it no longer happens. I never owned a touchstone, so I don't think that was the problem.
crazylou78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2012, 11:04 AM   #17 (permalink)

Never happened to me. Might be interesting to compare patches of those seeing the issue. As much as I like what preware can provide, I really try not to load preware patches casually but but only after consideration of whether the benefit is really compelling. There is always a risk associated with patches which has to be weighed against the benefit.
texasflood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2012, 02:49 PM   #18 (permalink)

I don't thinkk the issue is with the touchstone but with the exhibition program. It may not be exiting the program properly when it comes out of exhibition mode. Seems like this was a problem way back right after the touchpad came out. I tried searching for the problem on here but could not find anything. It is a strange problem.
Old 03/13/2012, 03:29 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyc247 View Post
Interesting what you said dballew. Now I think about it I recently added a Touchstone and maybe my issues do correlate to when I Introduced it rather than a WebOS upgrade. I might try charging via the USB and not using the Touchstone and see if I still get issues.
It's very unlikely that the Touchstone leads to the missing bookmarks issue. I started charging it on Touchstone from day one, as it was bundled with the TP and did not encounter any problems for the first 5 months. As others have stated, the 3.0.5 update is a strong possibility even though the problem, at least in my case, did not show up during the first month following the update. I also don't think it's related to preware or its patches as I have never installed it on mine.

I'm curious as to how many of us with this issue have their TP set to turn WiFi off in 'When Phone Sleeps'. The default setting as most of you know is for WiFi to be active at all times so I changed it on mine to save battery life.
divuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/13/2012, 05:28 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by divuer View Post
It's very unlikely that the Touchstone leads to the missing bookmarks issue. I started charging it on Touchstone from day one, as it was bundled with the TP and did not encounter any problems for the first 5 months. As others have stated, the 3.0.5 update is a strong possibility even though the problem, at least in my case, did not show up during the first month following the update. I also don't think it's related to preware or its patches as I have never installed it on mine.

I'm curious as to how many of us with this issue have their TP set to turn WiFi off in 'When Phone Sleeps'. The default setting as most of you know is for WiFi to be active at all times so I changed it on mine to save battery life.
I have a touchstone, WebOS 3.0.5, WiFi active at all times, none of the issues described in this thread, so far, knock on wood. Maybe preware isn't the issue, just a "usual suspect". SOME of the issues described above could be network related so the WiFi sleep setting could be a factor. I did once have my Touchpad lock up and had to do the vulcan nerve pinch to bring it back. After that I wasn't getting mail till I went in and re-entered all my account info but no other significant issues before or since.
texasflood is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0