Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    I started having the "No connection" issue a two months ago. WebOS 3.0.4
    But I cannot fix it even with 3 buttons restart! So my TP is dead in the water - no Accounts, mail, apps.
    At least the browser and some offline are working...
    Actually after this problem when restarting I have the glowing HP logo screen on 2 of 3 restarts.
    I have to restart several times just to start the WebOS.

I'm using the TP in Europe,Bulgaria, so first I thought this my be an issue with location.
    Tried to change the settings to US, UK .. - no effect.
    Then I tried to use several different WiFi networks - still no effect.

The other thing i notice is that you don't have browser cache, cookies, history. You cannot delete them.

I was thinking about HP doctor, but I'm afraid that the problem my persist even after re-install.
    Then i'll lose even the several apps that i have.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonchev View Post
    I started having the "No connection" issue a two months ago. WebOS 3.0.4
    But I cannot fix it even with 3 buttons restart! So my TP is dead in the water - no Accounts, mail, apps.
    At least the browser and some offline are working...
    Actually after this problem when restarting I have the glowing HP logo screen on 2 of 3 restarts.
    I have to restart several times just to start the WebOS.

I'm using the TP in Europe,Bulgaria, so first I thought this my be an issue with location.
    Tried to change the settings to US, UK .. - no effect.
    Then I tried to use several different WiFi networks - still no effect.

The other thing i notice is that you don't have browser cache, cookies, history. You cannot delete them.

I was thinking about HP doctor, but I'm afraid that the problem my persist even after re-install.
    Then i'll lose even the several apps that i have.
    Well I have proved to myself that it has nothing to do with Touchstone or Exhibition Mode. My Touchpad was fully charged and reset. All was working fine and I used it for an hour or so in the evening. Then just left it without docking it on the Touchstone. I came back to it a day later and ..... the "No Internet Connection" thing.

So it just seems to be a passage of time for me. Maybe some kind of WIFI timeout ? Dunno but it sure is irritating to have to reboot on a daily basis. Perhaps it is time to Doctor it, something I have never done at all since I bought it at the fire sale.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Count me among those experiencing this problem on my HP Touchpad.

I first noticed it about a week ago. Symptoms include:

• "No internet connection" error on loading web pages
    • Most (all?) apps seem unable to access internet, despite strong WiFi connection
    • Bookmarks and history disappear from browser
    • Kindle Reader will launch only as far as the splash screen (this shouldn't depend on a live internet connection)
    • Frequently, a large number of calendar appointments disappear
    • No discernible pattern - has happened while on Touchstone, but also while actively being used

My Touchpad has become so unreliable that I'm going to doctor it tonight, and hope that addresses the problem.
    I fixed this same problem with an application reset....no personal data lost...been weeks since zero issues. No need to doctor.
    Quote Originally Posted by matthp View Post
    I fixed this same problem with an application reset....no personal data lost...been weeks since zero issues. No need to doctor.
    Could you please share how you manage to do it?
    sure....go to device info......then reset options.....then choose erase apps and data......ensure you backed up using the backup app.

All your apps will reload when you log back into webOS account. Once it had finished, my touchpad was back to normal.....no more blank bookmarks....missing email etc..

I originally thought it was an indexing issue with some files on the USB partition....guess I was wrong
    Thank you matthp! Yesterday I performed the 'Erase Apps & Data" from within Device Info and my TP has been trouble free since. Make sure you run the Backup app just before you do the erase.

Having to restart the device every morning and sometimes after just a couple of hours, had started to tick me off. I almost went the webOS Doctor route but as ncinerate and others have pointed out, webOS Doctor should only be run if the TP is really broken. I'm glad I held off as all I had to do after the 'erase' finished and the TP restarted was to reconnect it to my router and enter my accounts passwords. All the apps and bookmarks came back and all the files I had previously saved and/or copied to the device were left intact.
    Add me to the list of happy campers now. I did the app reset 3 days ago and have yet to see the problem since. Before doing the reset, about every 6-8 hours the problem would occur. I am also happy to now have a reliable clock alarm again, as before the problem would prevent the alarm from coming on. THANKS!!!

I did the app reset 3 days ago. Everything is working fine now.
    Thank you matthp!
    I can access bookmarks, open accounts, Backup, install apps, watch videos in full screen...
    Pure delight

Thanks once again.
    The "app reset" wipes all homebrew applications, preware, etc. In addition, we still have no idea what is causing this problem, presumably a bug in the WebOS network stack, so it will likely come back.

So to be perfectly clear, the "app reset" is NOT a fix, and we do NOT know what the problem is. It is, at best, a temporary workaround, and one which is fairly painful - you may not care about homebrew or preware, but as a homebrew developer, I do.
    Good point... but I have gone a week now with no problems. Prior to the app reset, I couldn't go 6 hours. I re-installed preware and my preware-loaded apps, but there is one app that refuses to load - Uber Calendar. I've tried several times to re-install and keep getting error messages. Maybe it is the culprit??? Haven't had time yet to troubleshoot.... so for now, I'm just using the stock calendar.

Finally, thanks for developing for this community. It's people like you that keep WebOS going

Quote Originally Posted by rickr765 View Post
    The "app reset" wipes all homebrew applications, preware, etc. In addition, we still have no idea what is causing this problem, presumably a bug in the WebOS network stack, so it will likely come back.

So to be perfectly clear, the "app reset" is NOT a fix, and we do NOT know what the problem is. It is, at best, a temporary workaround, and one which is fairly painful - you may not care about homebrew or preware, but as a homebrew developer, I do.
    Same thing happened to me, but I did a full erase, that has worked so far. Wish I had seen this thread first, looks like I could have just done the apps & data erase.
    I have the same issue that started last week. Reboot in the morning works after email goes silent during the overnight. Seems like internet works and most everything else. I'd prefer to figure this out and not just do an app restore. I'm pretty computer savvy, any logs anyone want me to look at?
    Quote Originally Posted by 3n1media View Post
    I have the same issue that started last week. Reboot in the morning works after email goes silent during the overnight. Seems like internet works and most everything else. I'd prefer to figure this out and not just do an app restore. I'm pretty computer savvy, any logs anyone want me to look at?
    The issue seems to be related to the device "loosing" the association with the registered webOS account. Next time your bookmarks or email are missing, open up 'Device Info' and you'll notice that the HP WEBOS ACCOUNT field is empty. Once the TP is restarted, the account field is again populated. The app restore was the one solution that solved this problem.
    frank-barnett likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by divuer View Post
    The issue seems to be related to the device "loosing" the association with the registered webOS account. Next time your bookmarks or email are missing, open up 'Device Info' and you'll notice that the HP WEBOS ACCOUNT field is empty. Once the TP is restarted, the account field is again populated. The app restore was the one solution that solved this problem.
    Yup, my HP WEBOS ACCOUNT was empty. I also tried to do a backup to the hp servers and it just hung out. Once I rebooted, all was working and good. Can i look at any logs for anyone? I'm pretty well adept at troubleshooting things. I want to try to avoid doing the app restore so the actual fix could be found as well as what caused it.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3n1media View Post
    Yup, my HP WEBOS ACCOUNT was empty. I also tried to do a backup to the hp servers and it just hung out. Once I rebooted, all was working and good. Can i look at any logs for anyone? I'm pretty well adept at troubleshooting things. I want to try to avoid doing the app restore so the actual fix could be found as well as what caused it.
    Just a heads up on this, i realized this week that this issue has stopped occurring and emails are there in the morning without a reboot. I have not changed anything except installing CM9. When I installed CM9, I had to fix a bunch of file system errors using dosfsck before I could install. There also might have been a few apps updated, but I don't think any of them would relate to this issue. I wonder if some of the file corruption that was fixed helped with this.
    I'm having this issue and it seems to me to act simular to what happens to a windows PC when there is a memory leak or something. I am running JsTop and going to keep it up all day to see if perhaps a program is causing this... Occasionally I've been able to get some limited functionality by closing some/all the cards for just a little while before it acts up again. This is what has caused me to think that there might be a memory leak or something.
    It happened to me again this morning, about a month after the 'app reset'. I agree that it is likely caused by a memory leak, a bug in 3.0.5 webos itself. We will just have to get used to resetting the machine from time to time.
    I have been perplexed by this issue, and tried many things - but not the app restore - yet.
    I am unable to check my backup status as well when this event has occurred.

I think the automatic backup is causing my problems, as it is only the data that is backed up that cannot be found. Manual backup does not cause the same issue, and if I am using the TP while the backup occurs, I notice nothing. But the bookmarks still vanish.

I tried to remove all the apps I loaded since this problem started, but it did not help.
    I also tried to capture the log files, but this cannot be done while the problem exists.

I have not changed the backed up data items, nor turned off auto backup to see the effect.

Steve

I have concluded this may not be due to automatic backup, as the backup time I see is actually the last time I restarted the TP. It still seems to loose only the data which is listed as backed up tho - can we change the data that is backed up?
    I have always thought this was application based, just not sure which one.
    Last edited by Steve.0; 06/09/2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: additional info
    DON'T DO THE APP RESET. Since doing that, novacom is no longer running on my Touchpad, so I can no longer install any apps. I can't do any development. My touchpad has become a portable brorwser only. I've restarted it to no avail. Nobody has any ideas. It's terrible, don't do it!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast