Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Hello, I just wanted to detail my experience trying to get an HP touchpad without a screen defect / DOA and wanted to know if other people have experienced this... and whether I should just go ahead and give up.

Original : When I first opened my HP touchpad, I immediately noticed that it had a weird 4-5 pixel bright diamond shaped blob, which after reading appears to be a defect during manufacturing. It was was pretty unbearable, so I spoke with chat support and managed to get an RMA and sent my HP touchpad with the normal repair process.

RMA 1: After about a week, I got my HP touchpad back... except it still had the weird 4-5 pixel defect. This time I called the webOS tech support on the phone and was told I would get another box and to send it in. So I sent it back in again using the regular repair process.

RMA 2: Two week later, I got another HP touchpad back.. which was DOA. I left it charging overnight just to make sure, but it was dead. So I called tech support again and this time got an offer for an Advance RMA with the fee waived.

RMA 3: About 5 days later, I got received another HP touchpad. This one had about 5 or 6 white bright splotches under the screen. It didn't appear to be stuck pixels since a few were quite a bit larger than one pixel. So I called tech support again, and they offered to try do another Advance RMA.

RMA 4: So now it's a bit over a week later and I just received my latest HP touchpad. This one has a dead pixel in the lower left quadrant of the screen. Of the several HP touchpads I've gone through, this one has the most minor issue.

Have other people run into this continual exchange of flawed HP touchpads? Should I just give in and accept this one since it's the least offensive unit so far?
    Quote Originally Posted by my11643 View Post
    Hello, I just wanted to detail my experience trying to get an HP touchpad without a screen defect / DOA and wanted to know if other people have experienced this... and whether I should just go ahead and give up.

Original : When I first opened my HP touchpad, I immediately noticed that it had a weird 4-5 pixel bright diamond shaped blob, which after reading appears to be a defect during manufacturing. It was was pretty unbearable, so I spoke with chat support and managed to get an RMA and sent my HP touchpad with the normal repair process.

RMA 1: After about a week, I got my HP touchpad back... except it still had the weird 4-5 pixel defect. This time I called the webOS tech support on the phone and was told I would get another box and to send it in. So I sent it back in again using the regular repair process.

RMA 2: Two week later, I got another HP touchpad back.. which was DOA. I left it charging overnight just to make sure, but it was dead. So I called tech support again and this time got an offer for an Advance RMA with the fee waived.

RMA 3: About 5 days later, I got received another HP touchpad. This one had about 5 or 6 white bright splotches under the screen. It didn't appear to be stuck pixels since a few were quite a bit larger than one pixel. So I called tech support again, and they offered to try do another Advance RMA.

RMA 4: So now it's a bit over a week later and I just received my latest HP touchpad. This one has a dead pixel in the lower left quadrant of the screen. Of the several HP touchpads I've gone through, this one has the most minor issue.

Have other people run into this continual exchange of flawed HP touchpads? Should I just give in and accept this one since it's the least offensive unit so far?
    It's really a personal choice and comes down to your patience. It sounds like RMA4 truly is the least offensive, but a dead pixel is forever dead (right?). If it were me, I would probably go for another RMA and send it in with my fingers crossed. I would also request the advance/fast service due to the number of times you've been unsuccessfully assisted.

My experience was this: My TP ran fine for about a month, then one day while it was charging a large battery icon with question mark appeared. I tried every avenue I could find online to resuscitate it to no avail. Then I did everything an HP tech asked me to try to no avail, at which point HP sent me the box to send it in. A week and a half later I got back my TP in working condition. It appears to be the exact same device I sent in by looking at the serial and product numbers. I also had a white/light spot on the screen (not a dead pixel; a supposed "pressure" spot size of a BB) when I sent it in, and that spot was fixed upon return. Overall, I was pleased with the warranty experience minus the length of time it took for me to get it back.

Here's to wishing you the perfect solution on RMA5!!