Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes
    Trust in Rod. He will take care of you.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    I always thought that palmpad was the better name choice...
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by aboutblank View Post
    I would really like to ship it to you guys, but i'm in beijing, not California (T_T)...as I know, all the other TP Go's leaked(at least 3 more as far as I know) are in china. It seems the TP Go is developed specially for china market(btw, since the trademark "Touchpad" has already been registered in china, the official name of TP Go was to be "Palmpad". How lovely!).
    Fortunately, the other owners are also all big fans of webOS.
    Add them to the three Touchpad GO owners I've been able to uncover in Northern California who won't part with the devices (no, not even for an arm and a leg), that brings my tally to about 6 or 7 of these devices in use out in the wild so far.

In a year or two we might see 1 or 2 of them pop up on eBay or CL, if we're lucky. I dream of that day coming much sooner, like maybe tomorrow!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    Seriously, which company, large or small would only produce -->10 'prototypes' in a potential market of 100's of 000's +?

Anyone got any idea of an industry 'standard' (ie. cost effective) minimum production-run of any such new components required?
    Would the Touchpad Motherboard be small enough to have also doubled-up as the 'Go' board?
    My implication is that there may well be inventory of 'Go'-specific parts still unassembled, as a result of the HP 'indecisions' (read 'chaos'!) around that time?

Be a shame to think they would all simply be destroyed/recycled!

EDIT: Later, OK make that #11 'prototypes' according to 'aboutblank's' post below!

"Go-Go-Guys!"

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/18/2011 at 06:10 AM.
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    It's worth a try if you have the details. It will either work or not

There is plenty of information about the Meta-Doctor, but to develop a reliable solution for a device like this, I would seriously need to have it in hand (that wasn't a joke).

To try and tell you how to do something remotely would risk being able to use that unique device, since we don't have a working doctor for it.

-- Rod
    Hi Rod, I just remembered a guy selling his TP Go. Have a look at my post up here↑↑↑, are you interested?
    I've used Google Translate to read all the blog posts.They've already copied the rom off of it. It looks like they're in the process of making clones otherwise known as knock-offs.

hmmmmmmmm
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 11/18/2011 at 11:15 AM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    I've used Google Translate to read all the blog posts.They've already copied the rom off of it. It looks like they're in the process of making clones otherwise known as knock-offs.

hmmmmmmmm
    This raises an interesting question.

Given HP's case webOS indecision ( which has given some of us indigestion ), would we be willing to purchase Knock-offs just to get our hands on a different form factor?
    Good question. If I can't buy an HP GO am I willing to buy a Palmpad GO?
    Quote Originally Posted by mistaox View Post

Given HP's case webOS indecision ( which has given some of us indigestion ), would we be willing to purchase Knock-offs just to get our hands on a different form factor?
    Even more interesting is the fact they copied the rom.

I was expecting to see knock-offs of the Touchpad GO running Android eventually and those may be forthcoming, but if they try to put a cooked version of webOS on them, well, there's legalities. Doubt legal fears will stop them though. Illegal copies of Win 7 are all over the place running on ePad knock-offs.
    Did you get anywhere with the tar files? What is the name of the 2 tar files you have? The larger will be likely be WebOS.tar, or at least that it the intended name of it. The second file is the more complicated. It is the customisation build. This contains different files depending on the product and intended country of sale. You should compare its contents to the contents of the att.tar file from the 4g file you have.

Anyway, something for you to try (in Linux of course). There is no script available for you TP obviously. I think the closest script available for your TP is the att 3.0.4 one. This is of course a little risky but see if the jar file can be produced safely.
    In terminal;
    git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git
    cd meta-doctor
    mkdir downloads

copy the 2 tar files into downloads. Name the large file webOS.tar, the small one att.tar
    Open meta-doctor/scripts/meta-att-touchpad-3.0.4. On line 58 add the following to the args; "CUSTOM_CARRIER_TARBALL=downloads/att.tar CUSTOM_WEBOS_TARBALL=downloads/webOS.tar"

then make sure your current working dir is meta-doctor, then run ./scripts/meta-att-touchpad-3.0.4

Hao yun!

Edit: It might be safer for you to manually copy the tar files into the jar file and overwrite the existing files. However the recoverytool application probably wont like this and might refuse to use them.
    Last edited by haggismn; 11/18/2011 at 03:06 PM.
    I was about to register my touchpad and realized the full options of touchpad products that were meant to be registered. Touchpad go 3G was one of them. Take a look

HP Product Registration
    https://register.hp.com/americas/flo...&cc=US&lang=en
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by andresigno View Post
    I was about to register my touchpad and realized the full options of touchpad products that were meant to be registered. Touchpad go 3G was one of them. Take a look

HP Product Registration
    Some nice products there - I've just registered my webOS products, too. You can also register your TouchStone and Bluetooth keyboard, but unfortunately they've no serial number so you can't finish the registration.
    Pre≥ (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    People purchasing TouchPad knockoffs that run real webOS.. that'd be hilarious.

I might consider it, though, if it all works, and if it can run real webOS.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    johncampanale likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistaox View Post

As someone who's bought Shanzai tablets before (basically China's "Knockoff Mecca"), no, you don't want to buy a knockoff unless you want something with no warranty, substandard parts usually made afterhours in the factory from the materials that didn't make the grade, dangerous batteries and other parts in some cases (with no legal recourse), and zero resale value.

And yeah, legal issues with upstream suppliers manufacturers are why you don't see an iPad knockoff actually running iOS; they're all hacks made to look like iOS. if someone did that with webOS, you can bet there'd be legal hell to pay and massive contracts cancelled since usually these knockoffs are an inside job at these factories. Android being open-source is why 90% of the knockoff tablets out there use it. Check out Merimobiles.com sometime for plenty of examples.

I'll reiterate: I wouldn't, and I don't expect to see any make it to market anyway.
    Last edited by vanadium; 11/18/2011 at 08:04 PM.
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by andresigno View Post

HP Product Registration
    Interesting. I registered my Touchpad GO and at the confirmation page they tell my that the model name is FB441UA. But on my device I found it's FB386UA.
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
    Some nice products there - I've just registered my webOS products, too. You can also register your TouchStone and Bluetooth keyboard, but unfortunately they've no serial number so you can't finish the registration.
    What's the number under the HP BTKB battery cover then?

Mine says: 'Serial No: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX'

Quote Originally Posted by haggismn View Post
    Did you get anywhere with the tar files? What is the name of the 2 tar files you have? The larger will be likely be WebOS.tar, or at least that it the intended name of it. The second file is the more complicated. It is the customisation build. This contains different files depending on the product and intended country of sale. You should compare its contents to the contents of the att.tar file from the 4g file you have.

Anyway, something for you to try (in Linux of course). There is no script available for you TP obviously. I think the closest script available for your TP is the att 3.0.4 one. This is of course a little risky but see if the jar file can be produced safely.
    In terminal;
    git clone git://git.webos-internals.org/tools/meta-doctor.git
    cd meta-doctor
    mkdir downloads

copy the 2 tar files into downloads. Name the large file webOS.tar, the small one att.tar
    Open meta-doctor/scripts/meta-att-touchpad-3.0.4. On line 58 add the following to the args; "CUSTOM_CARRIER_TARBALL=downloads/att.tar CUSTOM_WEBOS_TARBALL=downloads/webOS.tar"

then make sure your current working dir is meta-doctor, then run ./scripts/meta-att-touchpad-3.0.4

Hao yun!

Edit: It might be safer for you to manually copy the tar files into the jar file and overwrite the existing files. However the recoverytool application probably wont like this and might refuse to use them.
    You'll also need to know the DMMODEL and DMCARRIER values, and use the CUSTOM_MODEL_CHECK and CUSTOM_CARRIER_CHECK values to enable the doctor to recognise the TP Go tokens and allow installation to proceed.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Hi Rod, I just remembered a guy selling his TP Go. Have a look at my post up here↑↑↑, are you interested?
    Yes.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Thanks. At first I thought there is something wrong with the ROM that makes me unable to logon to my Profile, so I thought reflashing it would be helpful. But since it's the server refuses new device registration, I'm not so eager to make a doctor for my TP Go now.

But still, I've uploaded the two tar files to my skydrive so that anyone who wants to do some research could get it. I compressed them into 3 rar volumes.
    Firstly, you should not redistribute those files publicly - they are not open source, and you do not have a license to distribute them.

Secondly, I have made some guesses at some values (DMMODEL and DMCARRIER) and created a scripts/meta-opal-doctor which you can use to experiment with if you are extremely brave. You'll need to read the script to work out where to put things (I'm not interested in detailed hand-holding unless there's a device coming my way somehow).

Having said that, I personally would not use homebrew applications or patches on a device for which I did not have a verified working webOS doctor, so creating and testing a webOS doctor solution would be the first thing I would personally do ... but do it *extremely* carefully and with full understanding of each step before performing it.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 11/20/2011 at 02:54 PM.
    TopTongueBarry and eblade like this.
  20.    #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Firstly, you should not redistribute those files publicly - they are not open source, and you do not have a license to distribute them.

Secondly, I have made some guesses at some values (DMMODEL and DMCARRIER) and created a scripts/meta-opal-doctor which you can use to experiment with if you are extremely brave. You'll need to read the script to work out where to put things (I'm not interested in detailed hand-holding unless there's a device coming my way somehow).

Having said that, I personally would not use homebrew applications or patches on a device for which I did not have a verified working webOS doctor, so creating and testing a webOS doctor solution would be the first thing I would personally do ... but do it *extremely* carefully and with full understanding of each step before performing it.

-- Rod
    Sorry about that. Would you please remove the link in the quotation area please? Thanks!
    btw, the DMMODEL is HSTNS-I32C and DMCARRIER is ROW.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast