Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By bobwonderful
  • 1 Post By dignitary
  1.    #1  
    Wait, is Adobe killing flash for mobile devices or even tablets?! If they are, webOS is going to have to find a new selling point
    well until all web sites eliminate flash it just means the tp has and will continue to have the best implementation...with no more changes to flash at least we don't need to worry about an update that won't come.
    Adobe is not making any mobile flash software any more.

You tell me what that means.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
    well until all web sites eliminate flash it just means the tp has and will continue to have the best implementation...with no more changes to flash at least we don't need to worry about an update that won't come.
    Sorry, not true. The Flash version on the Touchpad is 10.3 beta. The Flash version on Android is 11. So even though Adobe threw in the towel almost as bad as HP, they still managed to leave us behind.
    Even more, the latest technology most Flash devs I know are immediately moving to because of its advanced 2D/3D GPU acceleration demands at the very least Flash Player 11. It's called Stage 3D (once codenamed 'Molehill'), and it's the best thing since sliced bread for the Flash developer community.

So not only does Android and BB have Flash Player 11 already, the Touchpad won't be able to take advantage of the new tech because it's already behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Even more, the latest technology most Flash devs I know are immediately moving to because of its advanced 2D/3D GPU acceleration demands at the very least Flash Player 11. It's called Stage 3D (once codenamed 'Molehill'), and it's the best thing since sliced bread for the Flash developer community.

So not only does Android and BB have Flash Player 11 already, the Touchpad won't be able to take advantage of the new tech because it's already behind.
    PS I'm pretty sure stage3d is desktop ONLY - this is not enabled on ANY mobile version. 11 also requires a lot of memory so this will likely leave many mobile devices with lower amounts, even if they can install it, in trouble as it will cause slow downs and even crashes. Maybe being limited to just stage will keep the cashes down though? donno... time will tell I guess.

My bad thinking the tp's version was up to date though.. maybe adobe will take pity on webos users and drop 1 more update.. not holding my breath though.
    Last edited by stumblinh; 11/16/2011 at 11:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
    PS I'm pretty sure stage3d is desktop ONLY - this is not enabled on ANY mobile version.
    Wrong. It's right here in the first paragraph of Adobe's Stage3D Developer Connection page: Stage 3D | Adobe Developer Connection

"Stage 3D, previously codenamed "Molehill," is a new method/model of 2D and 3D rendering developed by Adobe and supported with a new Stage3D API—a set of low-level GPU-accelerated APIs enabling advanced 2D and 3D capabilities across multiple screens and devices (desktop, mobile, and TV) through the Adobe Flash Platform runtimes. "

"Using the new Stage3D APIs in Flash Player and Adobe AIR will make it possible to deliver sophisticated 3D experiences across almost every computer and device connected to the Internet."

I can't say I have much problem with Flash 11 on my Android device(s) any more than I do on my webOS device(s) running 10.3. Your mileage may vary, of course, depending on the device and Android version.
    Adobe is doing the right thing. They know that Flash is becoming an obsolete platform. They lost the battle on getting Apple to OEM Flash. HTML5 will be able to do many of the things Flash does without having to load a plugin into the browser. What this means is that Apple Mobile devices won't have a disadvantage in the future that it won't support Flash. The good thing is that many sites will support all browsers better than they do today.
    Here's Stage3D running on Android mobile devices. Check the 2nd video for an accurate depiction of its performance (since the first has choppy video).

Andrew Trice Blog Archive Molehill (Stage3D) on Mobile

Since the Flash Player isn't being developed further on mobile, developers will simply wrap it within the AIR runtime (available in their Android Market for free) to deploy their projects instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwonderful View Post
    Adobe is doing the right thing. They know that Flash is becoming an obsolete platform. They lost the battle on getting Apple to OEM Flash. HTML5 will be able to do many of the things Flash does without having to load a plugin into the browser. What this means is that Apple Mobile devices won't have a disadvantage in the future that it won't support Flash. The good thing is that many sites will support all browsers better than they do today.
    I'm a Sr. Developer with a major international agency and have been an industry professional for 13 years, so I can say this with a degree of confidence. Once the following conditions are met, Flash is done:

1. SVG Adoption
    2. Widespread GPU acceleration of the Document Object Model
    3. Further JavaScript performance increases
    4. Widespread adoption of CSS3 Keyframe Animations
    5. Device API Rollout and Adoption

Because then you essentially have Flash once you wrap it inside HTML5's Canvas. And that affords even further capabilities. It'll be great to see what current Flash developers, already familiar with complex motion graphics and rich interactive projects, will bring to HTML5 without the baggage of Flash.

It'll still be some time before HTML5 catches up, but it's catching up fast. Much faster than it took for Flash to get where it is today.
    LinuxKoss likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    Wrong. It's right here in the first paragraph of Adobe's Stage3D Developer Connection page: Stage 3D | Adobe Developer Connection

"Stage 3D, previously codenamed "Molehill," is a new method/model of 2D and 3D rendering developed by Adobe and supported with a new Stage3D API—a set of low-level GPU-accelerated APIs enabling advanced 2D and 3D capabilities across multiple screens and devices (desktop, mobile, and TV) through the Adobe Flash Platform runtimes. "

"Using the new Stage3D APIs in Flash Player and Adobe AIR will make it possible to deliver sophisticated 3D experiences across almost every computer and device connected to the Internet."

I can't say I have much problem with Flash 11 on my Android device(s) any more than I do on my webOS device(s) running 10.3. Your mileage may vary, of course, depending on the device and Android version.
    That is funny.. it does say desktop only,,, but then lists andriod and ios :P

Adobe Flash Player 11 (version 11.0.1.152, codenamed Serrano) (October 2011)[47]
    Desktop only Stage 3D Accelerated Graphics Rendering[48] Desktop: Windows (DirectX 9), Mac OS X and Linux (OpenGL 1.3), SwiftShader fallback
    Mobile: Android and iOS (OpenGL ES 2)

H.264/AVC Software Encoding for Cameras
    Native 64-bit
    Asynchronous Bitmap Decoding
    TLS Secure Sockets

Desktop and Mobile Stage Video Hardware Acceleration
    Native extension libraries[49] Desktop: Windows (.dll), OS X (.framework)
    Mobile: Android (.jar, .so), iOS (.a)

JPEG XR decoding
    G.711 Audio Compression for Telephony
    Protected HTTP Dynamic Streaming (HDS)
    Unlimited bitmap size
    LZMA SWF compression

Mobile only H.264/AAC Playback
    Front-facing Camera
    Background Audio Playback
    Device Speaker Control
    16 and 32-bit color depth

Adobe Flash Player 11.1 (version 11.1.102.55, codenamed Anza) (November 2011)[50] Last version of the browser plug-in for mobile devices
    iOS 5 native extensions for AIR
    StageText: Native text input UI for Android
    Security enhancements
    Last edited by stumblinh; 11/17/2011 at 07:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwonderful View Post
    And everything will be faster and smoother.