webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > [HOW TO] USB OTG - Read and write on NTFS
[HOW TO] USB OTG - Read and write on NTFS
Like Tree4Likes
  • 4 Post By hakkinen

Old 11/16/2011, 04:50 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hello,

As you know, there is fully functional USB Host support in TP but we need external power. It's very useful if we can watch HD video from USB or HDD external (TP can play 720p, 1080p videos flawlessly with Kalemsoft). The problem is that for HD video files > 4GB, we need USB or HDD external with NTFS file system (or ext3 that webOS supports natively, but I don't think it's a good idea for Windows users).

NTFS-3G is an open source cross-platform implementation of the Microsoft Windows NTFS file system with read-write support. NTFS-3G often uses the FUSE file system interface, so it can run unmodified on many different operating systems. (NTFS-3G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The good: FUSE (FUSE: Filesystem in Userspace) is built statically in webOS. I built a ntfs-3g binary for Samsung GS2 (Android smartphone) by an instruction I found on the net and it also works on TP.

How can we do it:
1. Download zip file attached. Unzip it but don't rename it
2. Copy ntfs-3g to folder bin (use Internalz with Master mode). This folder is on the root level of TP.
3. Install Xecutah by Preware
4. Connect your USB or HDD external (with only 1 partition, in NTFS)
5. Run Xcutah --> Xterm.
6. Type:
ls -lrt /dev
(to see the name of your disk, normally it's sda1, but sometimes sdb1, sdc1,...)
7. Type:
ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb
(usb is the name of folder that we created in media/internal
8. Yes we go. Use Internalz and you can see the content of your usb or HDD NTFS.
9. Before unmounting USB, don't forget to use umount command:
umount -l -f /media/internal/usb
(If not you can't connect your TP to PC, need restart)

The bad:
- Kalemsoft can't browse video files in mounted folder (Touchplayer can browse and play fine)

Read more here:
http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html

I hope we can mount automatically USB or HDD NTFS by an application or by script (need a script manager) and TP can power usb port itself but I can't do it, I'm very new in Linux or webOS.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ntfs-3g.zip (916.5 KB, 217 views) Email Attachment

Last edited by hakkinen; 01/23/2012 at 09:27 AM.
hakkinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, stickerboy, lar3ry and 1 others like this.
Old 11/16/2011, 04:54 AM   #2 (permalink)
Legend

Just a heads-up, this will almost certainly break mtools, thus breaking a fair chunk of Internalz Pro (and anything else that uses mtools). Only workaround would be to enable "Show Hidden", and even then, the Hidden and Readonly checkboxes will not function correctly.

EDIT: This does give me some ideas for Internalz HD though

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook

Last edited by Jason Robitaille; 11/16/2011 at 05:19 AM.
Jason Robitaille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/16/2011, 05:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Can't wait for your Internalz HD. You'll release it soon? I hope there is a search function too ^^
Old 11/16/2011, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks it works flawlessly =) I tried this method in android system but I can't achieve =)
muhsingullu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/17/2011, 12:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by muhsingullu View Post
Thanks it works flawlessly =) I tried this method in android system but I can't achieve =)
Sorry but in Android, you have to wait for the module Fuse.ko from CyanogenMod team (the demand is accepted). I think this module works only if it is built with the kernel by CM. When you have fuse, you can go with ntfs-3g I built
Old 11/20/2011, 09:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hi there,
I did everything with my usb thumb drive, external, and portable hdd, but unfortunately, I can not see my device after this: ls -lrt /dev. Please help.

Thanks alot

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkinen View Post
Hello,

As you know, there is fully functional USB Host support in TP but we need external power. It's very useful if we can watch HD video from USB or HDD external (TP can play 720p, 1080p videos flawlessly with Kalemsoft). The problem is that for HD video files > 4GB, we need USB or HDD external with NTFS file system (or ext3 that webOS supports natively, but I don't think it's a good idea for Windows users).

NTFS-3G is an open source cross-platform implementation of the Microsoft Windows NTFS file system with read-write support. NTFS-3G often uses the FUSE file system interface, so it can run unmodified on many different operating systems. (NTFS-3G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

The good: FUSE (FUSE: Filesystem in Userspace) is built statically in webOS. I built a ntfs-3g binary for Samsung GS2 (Android smartphone) by an instruction I found on the net and it also works on TP.

How can we do it:
1. Download zip file attached. Unzip it but don't rename it
2. Copy ntfs-3g to folder bin (use Internalz with Master mode). This folder is on the root level of TP.
3. Install Xcutah by Preware
4. Connect your USB or HDD external (with only 1 partition, in NTFS)
5. Run Xcutah --> Xterm.
6. Type:
ls -lrt /dev
(to see the name of your disk, normally it's sda1, but sometimes sdb1, sdc1,...)
7. Type:
ntfs-3g /dev/sda1 /media/internal/usb
(usb is the name of folder that we created in media/internal
8. Yes we go. Use Internalz and you can see the content of your usb or HDD NTFS.
9. Before unmounting USB, don't forget to use umount command:
umount -l -f /media/internal/usb
(If not you can't connect your TP to PC, need restart)

The bad:
- Kalemsoft can't browse video files in mounted folder (Touchplayer can browse and play fine)

Read more here:
http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html

I hope we can mount automatically USB or HDD NTFS by an application or by script (need a script manager) and TP can power usb port itself but I can't do it, I'm very new in Linux or webOS.
congiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2011, 02:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by congiday View Post
Hi there,
I did everything with my usb thumb drive, external, and portable hdd, but unfortunately, I can not see my device after this: ls -lrt /dev. Please help.

Thanks alot

Did you read this topic http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html ??? You need external power for your usb hub or cable Y
Old 02/02/2012, 02:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

hi everyone

I am an android user .,., OTG cable Is working with My device " galaxy Note".

I Just Want to get the xecutah app installed on my device.

I've followed each step, But I stopped at installing Xcutah .,,.
""""""""""
the WebOS Quick Install can not show my device in the list .,.,What do you suggest, DevePros ?
"""""""""""
icloudnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/02/2012, 08:02 AM   #9 (permalink)

Reinstall the novacom driver by webOS quick install, or install webOS SDK https://developer.palm.com/content/r..._download.html
Old 02/02/2012, 08:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Just to chime in, NTFS-3G is also installable via optware if you have that installed.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: hakkinen
Old 02/02/2012, 11:18 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
Just to chime in, NTFS-3G is also installable via optware if you have that installed.
Exactly, now we can install ntfs-3g by optware:

ipkg-opt install ntfs-3g
Old 02/12/2012, 05:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have shared and translated this article in a Chinese WebOS BBS. Furthermore, I have shared your attached file.
At the title of ' my' thread, I noticed everyone that is a sharing thread. Also, at beginning of that Thread, I posted your thread address as reference.
If you want me to remove that thread or attached file, please send me a email. My email address is: yd7156@mun.ca
thank you for your sharing. Best wishes.

P.S. ' my' thread address is: http://bbs.zoopda.com/forum.php?mod=...ead&tid=126682

Last edited by Desmond.Du; 02/13/2012 at 06:16 PM.
Desmond.Du is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/13/2012, 09:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond.Du View Post
I have shared and translated this article in a Chinese WebOS BBS. Furthermore, I have shared your attached file.
At the title of ' my' thread, I noticed everyone that is a sharing thread. Also, at beginning oft hat Thread, I posted your thread address as reference.
If you want me to remove that thread or attached file, please send me a email. My email address is: yd7156@mun.ca
thank you for your sharing. Best wishes.

P.S. ' my' thread address is: http://bbs.zoopda.com/forum.php?mod=...e=1#pid2267075
No problem, you are welcome. Best regards
Old 02/18/2012, 12:01 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakkinen View Post
Hello,

I built a ntfs-3g binary for Samsung GS2 (Android smartphone) by an instruction I found on the net and it also works on TP.

<snip>

hakkinen,
Thanks for posting this. I have been successful in mounting both FAT32 and NTFS filesystems with a script I adapted from one by Wheel_nut in message #1 at http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...e-kbd-etc.html

I am including the script here, in case anyone wants to use it. I called it 'mt' for ease of typing. The help ("mt h") reads as follows:

--- begin help text ---

This is a program to mount USB OTG Drives on the HP TouchPad
Mounts to directory /media/internal/usb
Mounts one of sda1, sdb1, sdc1, or sdd1

Usage: mt [option]

Options:

h - Display this help message and exit.
no arg - Mount a FAT32 device (default action)
f - Mount a FAT32 device
n - Mount an NTFS device
d - Dismount a mounted usb device

Option 'n' requires a program called ntfs-3g
You can download it at:
See attachment to message #1

--- end help text ---

Rename the scropt from "mt.txt" to "mt" and place it on the TouchPad in the /bin directory. Do not edit with a standard windows editor, as it will mess up the line endings. If you edit it with notepad++ you will preserve the Unix line endings.
Attached Files
File Type: txt mt.txt (3.2 KB, 48 views) Email Attachment
lar3ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by Desmond.Du, hakkinen
Old 02/18/2012, 06:54 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar3ry View Post
hakkinen,
Thanks for posting this. I have been successful in mounting both FAT32 and NTFS filesystems with a script I adapted from one by Wheel_nut in message #1 at http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...e-kbd-etc.html

I am including the script here, in case anyone wants to use it. I called it 'mt' for ease of typing. The help ("mt h") reads as follows:

--- begin help text ---

This is a program to mount USB OTG Drives on the HP TouchPad
Mounts to directory /media/internal/usb
Mounts one of sda1, sdb1, sdc1, or sdd1

Usage: mt [option]

Options:

h - Display this help message and exit.
no arg - Mount a FAT32 device (default action)
f - Mount a FAT32 device
n - Mount an NTFS device
d - Dismount a mounted usb device

Option 'n' requires a program called ntfs-3g
You can download it at:
See attachment to message #1

--- end help text ---

Rename the scropt from "mt.txt" to "mt" and place it on the TouchPad in the /bin directory. Do not edit with a standard windows editor, as it will mess up the line endings. If you edit it with notepad++ you will preserve the Unix line endings.
Thanks for sharing. I always think a script manager is more pratique than Xterm On Android we have many programs to do it, don't know if anyone can make it for webOS
Old 03/28/2012, 08:08 PM   #16 (permalink)

After I tried the ntfs-3g and the 'mt' (from lar3ry), i found this method is very useful high efficiency. However there is a problem that Chinese characters in name of directory or file cannot be shown. Each Chinese character is shown as a '?'. Also, when Chinese character appears in a file name, touchpad cannot open it.
Desmond.Du is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/11/2012, 04:20 AM   #17 (permalink)

非常感谢 虽然e文不是完全看懂иии
klzsysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07/16/2012, 08:14 PM   #18 (permalink)

check it , try it thks......
extuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/07/2013, 06:31 PM   #19 (permalink)

How is this progressing? Trying hard to get USB devices to work on my touchpad!
Paulscarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2013, 03:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulscarbs View Post
How is this progressing? Trying hard to get USB devices to work on my touchpad!
This my also help:

New TP-App: USB FlashMount OTG

TP 32Gb 4G. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Pre3 16Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ TS2 BT A-D. ~ HP iPaq. hx-2110. WM 6.01.
TP 32Gb Wifi. 3.0.5 / CM10. ~ Veer (Wht.) 8Gb GSM. 2.2.4. ~ HP Mini-5101.120Gb SSD. 3G/Wifi/BT. Win7.
Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0