Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dignitary
  1.    #1  
    When shipping the Touchpad via FedEx/UPS/USPS, should I insure it for $499 or $99?
    ($499 original retail price, $99 firesale price)

I realize I only paid $99 plus shipping/tax(think it was around $25?). On the other
    hand, if I insure it for only $99 and it gets lost during shipping, there's no way that
    I can replace it for only $99.

I read that HP charged $350+ if you don't return the defective Touchpad back
    during a warranty replacement? Prices on the street for a 16GB unit is around
    $220 to $250, the last time I looked..... is that a more reasonable amount to
    insure it?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by friedscones View Post
    When shipping the Touchpad via FedEx/UPS/USPS, should I insure it for $499 or $99?

I realize I only paid $99 plus shipping/tax(think it was around $25?). On the other
    hand, if I insure it for only $99 and it gets lost during shipping, there's no way that

insure it?

Thanks!
    You insure it for the price it would cost to replace it.
    Quote Originally Posted by toaste View Post
    You insure it for the price it would cost to replace it.

I agree with toaste, insure it for what it would cost you to replace it incase it get's lost. If I were selling one, I would insure it for $400.
    From what I've seen (E-Bay, Craigslist) replacement cost for a 16GB Touchpad is around $200 to $240 dollars. If you think they will just hand over the amount you insure an item for without any investigation or multiple proof of value, good luck with that.
    I choose $99 if I ship internationally, because of customs cost. Higher the insurance, higher customs cost. I choose to gamble it.
    I'd suggest OVER 9000.
    knownboyofno likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by friedscones View Post

insure it?

Thanks!

I work for UPS.

Everything shipped always has a $100 insurance on it. Insuring it for $400 will not guarantee UPS will pay you $400 for it. They will access how much one costs and give you a reasonable price.

Think about it. Someone could ship a tee shirt to a buddy of theirs, insure it for $10,000 and have the buddy say they never got the pkg. Is UPS going to pay $10,000 for a tee shirt?

I would insure it for twice what you want to receive if it does get lost.