Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Does anyone know why my mobile hot spot on my Verizon Pre Plus will allow me to connect to the Internet on my Dell laptop, but will not allow me to connect with my HP TouchPad? I am in a parking lot right now waiting for my daughter to finish her dance class. I have my phone, laptop, and Touchpad with me. I am connected with my laptop, but my TouchPad will not connect. I am posting this to the forums USING my connected laptop but I would much prefer to leave the laptop at home and just use the TouchPad while passing my waiting time.

I get the following error message on my pre:

Auth Error
    Your service account does not allow internet connection sharing. Contact Verizon for help.

What is the difference between the laptop having full access and my TouchPad? (I know the error message suggests calling Verizon, but I wanted to see if I could get any answers here first since calling any service center is always either a big run around or 90 minutes on hold.)

Any ideas?
    Palm IIIc --> m515 --> Tungsten T3 --> Centro --> Pre Plus --> HP Touchpad!!!

Tommy'sWorld | Rusty's Ramblings | No Coincidences | Words Of Wisdom . . . | Get Paid
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I guess nobody else has had a similar problem? I submitted a support e-mail to Verizon to see what they might say about it. :::fingers crossed:::
    Palm IIIc --> m515 --> Tungsten T3 --> Centro --> Pre Plus --> HP Touchpad!!!

Tommy'sWorld | Rusty's Ramblings | No Coincidences | Words Of Wisdom . . . | Get Paid
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke35 View Post
    I guess nobody else has had a similar problem? I submitted a support e-mail to Verizon to see what they might say about it. :::fingers crossed:::
    I hope you aren't tethering to your laptop without the $20 tethering feature and just emailed Verizon letting them know you are using it without paying. Your account could be flagged and they block all packets that come from a desktop browser until you buy the feature.
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
    I hope you aren't tethering to your laptop without the $20 tethering feature and just emailed Verizon letting them know you are using it without paying. Your account could be flagged and they block all packets that come from a desktop browser until you buy the feature.
    The Pre+ was sold starting in April 2010 with free lifetime (of the Pre+) Mobile Hotspot with 2GB/month from Verizon as a promotion. Many of us are not upgrading our phones to newer models specifically because we lose this useful LEGAL freebie if we change phones or contracts.....
    Sent from my Etch-a-Sketch.

#staycoolmybabies
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    kakel33, have tethered my Verizon phone many times using WiFi tether. Never have had a problem or billed. As long as you do not push a lot of data across the connection they will never notice. They claim there is code in the android kernel for catching this but there are kernels available with that code removed. I use tethering to check email and web browsing not streaming video.

As far as Connection TP to phone. Is the phone tether ad-hoc? TP has issues connecting to ad-hoc. Several threads here about that. My tether software does Infrastructure so no problem for me.
    --bill
    Global Posts
    506 Global Posts
    Stupid question - do you have the phone and TP linked by Bluetooth? If so, could the TP be trying to use the Bluetooth link instead of MHS and throwing the tether warning legitimately? Guess you could easily rule this out by disabling Bluetooth on the TP.....
    Sent from my Etch-a-Sketch.

#staycoolmybabies
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by myersw View Post
    kakel33, have tethered my Verizon phone many times using WiFi tether. Never have had a problem or billed. As long as you do not push a lot of data across the connection they will never notice. They claim there is code in the android kernel for catching this but there are kernels available with that code removed. I use tethering to check email and web browsing not streaming video.
    Verizon does the same thing that T-mobile does, they packet sniff for packets sent out by a different browser. Just like with T-mobile, it works for awhile and then all of a sudden it quits. I'm a person running custom ROMs and tried out many kernels. Nobody on XDA, at least in the phone areas I follow, have found a way to bypass the tethering block, except by changing the browser on the computer to make it look like a mobile browser. T-mobile also uses that same type of coding to throttle your speed when you exceed your limit and many many people have tried everything to bypass it too with no success.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I've had the same issue from time to time. Reboot the phone as painfully slow as that is.