Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1.    #1  
    I'm confused. Is it something that is just automatic? Is everything I listen to filtered through the Beats Audio program for example if I turn on My HP Touchpad and listen to Pandora. Or do I have to listen to my music through a certain program to hear the Beats Audio clarity? Confused.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,555 Global Posts
    It's on automatically.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    As CGK said, its automatically turned on however you can change that setting in the Sounds & Ringtones setting
    And to a great extent, it is a marketing gimmick, just FYI.
    "Beats Audio" = slightly improved internal speakers compared to many (but not all) other tablets. You'll still want headphones or external speakers if you want serious sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboladdade View Post
    "Beats Audio" = slightly improved internal speakers compared to many (but not all) other tablets. You'll still want headphones or external speakers if you want serious sound.
    Beats is still a huge upgrade from the garbage speakers HP slaps in their laptops. My DV6 sounds like a tin can inside of a larger tin can.
    Pros: The pills were there.
    Cons: So was the tank.
    Quote Originally Posted by billionaiire View Post
    And to a great extent, it is a marketing gimmick, just FYI.
    I wouldn't go that far. On the internal speakers yeah its totally useless.. But when I plug this into my car which has a very high end sound system, the beats audio makes a huge difference in the Mid range section.

Is it a gimmick, for internal speakers it sure is. But does it really work, yes.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboladdade View Post
    the speakers are bog standard (good quality tho) and have nothing at all to do with beats, beats is basically just an EQ setting, all software.
    Quote Originally Posted by aw9d View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. On the internal speakers yeah its totally useless.. But when I plug this into my car which has a very high end sound system, the beats audio makes a huge difference in the Mid range section.

Is it a gimmick, for internal speakers it sure is. But does it really work, yes.
    It's equalization, modifying/correcting the irregular output frequency response of the internal amplifier's electric circuitry. It happens to be in this case a bass and mid booster setting, something the internal speakers are already poor at reproducing. For earphones, of course any music will sound better than the internal speakers quality wise. It's a marketing gimmick to call it Dr. Beats, that's my point! Dr. Beats didn't make a difference to that sound being who he is, the equalizer did! If they just gave you "equalizers" with ton of settings, the effect would be the same to the sound, but because it's "Dr. Beats", there is an entire thread with people praising it :P (Marketing Gimmick 101)
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Actually, Beats Audio consists of a bunch of things. The equalization is a gimmick to any audiophile. What it does is to try and counteract the frequency response deficiencies of the Dr Beats headphones.

That said, part of this package is some good audio engineering...
    * Reduced EMI pickup at the headphone jack.
    * Separation of digital and analog ground planes.
    * Improved headroom in the output stages.

These are standard techniques to improving sound reproduction that isn't available in most consumer digital devices.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Vistaus likes this.
    I notice a difference between the beats and a normal Xoom tablet using its speaker. Beats is great.
    pre4 and Vistaus like this.
    Beats is better to my ears, not just mktg... ditto on you really want headphones.

~~~
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ggendel View Post
    Actually, Beats Audio consists of a bunch of things. The equalization is a gimmick to any audiophile. What it does is to try and counteract the frequency response deficiencies of the Dr Beats headphones.

That said, part of this package is some good audio engineering...
    * Reduced EMI pickup at the headphone jack.
    * Separation of digital and analog ground planes.
    * Improved headroom in the output stages.

These are standard techniques to improving sound reproduction that isn't available in most consumer digital devices.
    ^^^This.
    The "Beats" brand is more than just a marketing gimmick. It delivers a number of algorythmic tweaks and matched/uprated components.
    pre4 likes this.
  14.    #14  
    Thank you my friend.
    that is exactly my point! I am awed by these speakers let alone by the good sound output when heard through good earphones but all I am saying is, calling it Dr. Beats is a marketing ploy....it is like calling a fragrance Davidoff, where it is just a mixture of chemicals! Audio engineering explained above has been around ages before Dr.Dre existed!
    ... and it's also something that only (or mostly?) affects the headphone jack.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    They just took a little more care about the audio than other people, that's all. Also, put an sticker over this rather obvious techniques, in order to have a selling point. Others have selling points too, such as many apps, better build quality, a company that's not mental...
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    I'm not so sure about "better build quality". My TouchPad just screams "quality". The software sometimes yells "help me", though, sometimes in a garbled speaker voice.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    joysbox likes this.
    I'm not so sure about "better build quality". My TouchPad just screams "quality". The software sometimes yells "help me", though, sometimes in a garbled speaker voice.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    It's a pity that the headphones are a Monster product, and therefore should be boycotted on principle due to their well-documented transgressions against the market and snake-oil vending.

I can't hear any difference whatsoever with the Beats setting enabled or not, either through the speakers, or through my Sennheiser HD280Pro headphones. Do I need to be listening to hip-hop for the change to be obvious?

Regardless, the audio quality from the speakers on the TP is quite impressive.
    kill_dano likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast