1.    #1  
    my in-car navigation system's hasn't been updated since 2008, so many of the recently
    completed interstates in my state(and the neighboring two states) do not show up on
    the car's navigation screen.

I was about to order the 2011 navigation update DVD from the dealer, but I felt really
    stupid paying $349 for a DVD. Even after searching for online dealers, the best price
    I got was $320. That's more than the cost of one of those nice Garmin portable
    navigation units!

Then I thought about the Touchpad. Is there a way that I can turn it into a usable
    in-car navigation system? What additional hardware/apps do I need to get in order
    to accomplish this?

Thanks!
    Last edited by friedscones; 11/14/2011 at 09:59 AM.
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    No sure about using the touchpad as the navi but I had a 300 SRT8 that had no navi disk when I bought it. I seached forums and found a user in the LX forum that sold me a burned copy for $20. Not sure what car you have but I bet there is a forum for it and someone will have a burned copy of the updated maps for it... Just a thought
    Quote Originally Posted by friedscones View Post
    my in-car navigation system's hasn't been updated since 2008, so many of the recently
    completed interstates in my state(and the neighboring two states) do not show up on
    the car's navigation screen.

I was about to order the 2011 navigation update DVD from the dealer, but I felt really
    stupid paying $349 for a DVD. Even after searching for online dealers, the best price
    I got was $320. That's more than the cost of one of those nice Garmin portable
    navigation units!

Then I thought about the Touchpad. Is there a way that I can turn it into a usable
    in-car navigation system? What additional hardware/apps do I need to get in order
    to accomplish this?

Thanks!
    NDrive is supposed to be releasing a TouchPad version fairly soon. I had it on the Veer and absolutely loved it . . . much better than the stock Sprint or AT&T nav. Looking forward to it for both Pre3 and TP.

Sure would be fantastic on that li'l 7" TP on the front page today. *drool*

Drop a line to NDrive to give them a little push.
    Thing is you need to couple the TouchPad with a phone or BT GPS device. TouchPad doesn't GPS (unless yours is a TouchPad 3G)
    For starters, search the forums about PreGO GPS, which is an app that will let your touchpad communicate with the true GPS receiver on a Pre over a bluetooth link (The TP doesn't actually have a real GPS chip of its own built-in). Even if you have an old deactivated Pre laying around, that will work fine.

Then look into something like MapTool Pro (known to work with a PreGO GPS setup), or possibly Navit, or some other compatible navigation app. I'm think there's a thread somewhere about helping with what you're looking to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    NDrive is supposed to be releasing a TouchPad version fairly soon. I had it on the Veer and absolutely loved it . . . much better than the stock Sprint or AT&T nav. Looking forward to it for both Pre3 and TP.

Sure would be fantastic on that li'l 7" TP on the front page today. *drool*

Drop a line to NDrive to give them a little push.
    Thanks for sharing this. I have stayed away from NDrive because of the thread about NDrive issues and basically what sounded like nonsupport. So, you have had no problem with NDrive on Veer? Can others comment on this?

Also, can the Veer link with the TP via BT for gps?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    For starters, search the forums about PreGO GPS, which is an app that will let your touchpad communicate with the true GPS receiver on a Pre over a bluetooth link (The TP doesn't actually have a real GPS chip of its own built-in). Even if you have an old deactivated Pre laying around, that will work fine.

Then look into something like MapTool Pro (known to work with a PreGO GPS setup), or possibly Navit, or some other compatible navigation app. I'm think there's a thread somewhere about helping with what you're looking to do.
    This would also work with Veer, correct?

Thanks
    Can you make It work? short answer... Yes but with a external blue tooth GPS. Problem is that it won't be nearly as good as a TomTom or similar. No good turn by turn at this point. I wish someone would pot the Garmin pc version or the old window smartphone TomTom. Both work great.

I just recently snagged a TomTom via 1505tm, great GPS and only 145.
    you can you navit it in preware its works pretty soild.
    Interesting thread here for GPS, http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    you're probably better off buying an older touchscreen Nokia phone (use as your phone also). These come with full guided navigation and free maps.
    Quote Originally Posted by VaPirate View Post
    This would also work with Veer, correct?

Thanks
    As far as syncing with the Veer with the touchpad with PreGO GPS to use sync the GPS over bluetooth... I don't see why it wouldn't work any different than on a Pre. (Note I don't have a veer of my own to try it with of course, but I bet someone already has).