Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    Is this actually true or just speculation? We could just be seeing prototypes.
    Yesterday I've had a look at the (translated) chinese source - there they're talking about a prototype. Nevertheless I'm hoping that quite an amount has been produced and will soon leak to the public (e.g. eBay).
    Pre≥ (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    TopTongueBarry likes this.
    You can't imagine how angry and depressed this TouchPad GO failure has me. Because it IS a winner! You guys are talking a lot about the hardware, but it's not space era after all.

The SOFTWARE is the key! Have you seen all those webOS 3.0.4 screenshots, in perfect chinese? Can you imagine what a HUGE market that would have been? I can imagine perfectly that a HUGE effort had to be made, perhaps more than hardware wise, to realize that. I can imagine that effort stealing resources from the regular webOS development. And it was a GREAT decision, because the opportunity was, not, IS there.

If someone has contacts with the people of "palmjoy.com", please let them know that I find they've done an outstanding, fanatsctic job for reporting this. If only for airing, once again, the sheer cowardness, incompetence, and shortsightness of the people in charge.

Worst of all? That we all know that this could easily be achieved. Like "l4ever" says, why not releasing it? Would that make any sense? I'd love to enjoy a platform, backed by a huge sales in the most dominant country nowadays. Please don't tell me it all was because of the company not thinking outside of the States, because that's moronic.

Is there a way this TouchPad GO can reach the public, preferrably in a HOSTILE way?
    Well I don't have plan to buy 9.7" TouchPad in first place. If Leo not announced discontinued all WebOS devices, I never bought current TouchPad. Since several months ago, there was rumor about 7" TouchPad, I planned to buy it. I want smaller tablet instead my 9.7" iPad, because I want it to be more portable, even 9.7" has its own advantages. But now TouchPad Go is just a Palm Legacy.... I just want it available to buy and have palm logo on its back... not lousy HP
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I posted this in the comments under the story on PreCentral's front page:

They should release them. What sense does it make not to? They are already made which means they are already paid for. HP can recoup some of the money they lost on producing them. They can't do that if they simply throw them away. If they produced, lets say 100,000 of them, release 90,000 and keep 10,000 in reserve for warranty issues. They don't have to advertise because this site, WebOSRoundup, Engadget, and others will pretty much do it for them. Sell them at around $200 a piece. They have more storage space than the Fire, cameras, and a cellular radio. I'm sure AT&T wouldn't mine the new customers (on contract, of course). Limit the release to two per customer to cut down on the Ebay factor and they should go relatively fast. HP needs to also release a statement that they will continue to support the device for 1 full year.

What do you folks think?

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Simply: It would be impossible to make any money on them at $200 each.

~~~
    Quote Originally Posted by All4fun View Post
    Simply: It would be impossible to make any money on them at $200 each.

~~~
    ????
    Ummmm, it seems like they would be making $200 more per unit then not selling them, but, I guess my logic must just be confused...
    Global Posts
    141 Global Posts

Apparently the supply chain was ready to produce a good number of these before August 18th.

Digitimes is reporting HP’s chain of upstream suppliers charged with producing the 7-inch TouchPad Go are currently sitting on enough component inventory to produce about 100,000 of the now cancelled tablet. Production was to start near the end of the third quarter.

Suppliers such as Taiwan-based Inventec, the manufacturer of HP’s TouchPad, are currently negotiating with HP to find a solution for the sitting inventory, but have yet to receive any notification on which direction to take. Inventec declined to comment on HP’s cancellation of its webOS line of hardware and would only point out its relationship with HP remains unchanged. Inventec also makes parts for HP’s desktops and notebook PC’s.

HP is rumored to be taking a $100 million hit from the left over inventory and its selling of the TouchPad at $100. With HP possibly looking to resurrect the TouchPad sometime in the future, will its smaller 7 inch brethren see the light of day?

TouchPad Go components sit piled up with HP suppliers | News |webOSroundup
    Last edited by dna550; 11/16/2011 at 08:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by dna550 View Post
    HPís chain of upstream suppliers are currently sitting on enough component inventory to produce about 100,000 of the now cancelled tablet. Production was to start near the end of the third quarter.
    People, please move to a safe distance. I'm about to explode.
    Pre 3 on GSM Jazztel: UberKernel, Muffle logging & friends, Mode Switcher, Advanced System Menus & Prefs, and then some more.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
    fmarcanojr likes this.
    I visited PalmJoy.com and sent them an email asking them if they could either sell the "TouchPad Go" or make it available via ebay or Amazon. The following is their response:

[胖鱼网]: 您在 [胖鱼评测] 7寸TouchPad Go 加映篇 一文的评论有了一条新回复
    这是您的评论:
    When will the TouchPad GO be sold in United States? Or, can you sell on ebay or Amazon? Thank you.
    这是新回复:
    TouchPad Go may not be sold anywhere unless someone takes webOS from HP, this one is a prototype got from HP inside. We probably won't sold it. Thank you.
    更多信息请在原文查看:
    [
    感谢您在 [胖鱼网] 的评论
    本邮件为自动发送,请勿回复。

Note: Need a translator for the other sentences but essentially these are photos of a "prototype" model. So, I tried, and still hope the TouchPad Go will somehow be resurrected one day after webOS gets a reboot somewhere. Cheers and Peace
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardWiz View Post
    ????
    Ummmm, it seems like they would be making $200 more per unit then not selling them, but, I guess my logic must just be confused...
    I'm sure you are right. Would love to see the math behind your speculation.

~~~
    I'm sure you are right. Would love to see the math behind your speculation.

~~~
    I guess it depends how much commitment HP have for the orders they already made. If they have to pay for parts that will be wasted or even just a contract default fee then that will go some way to offsetting the possible retail price.

If HP do nothing they pay X to the manufacturers.

If HP make the units they pay Y to the manufacturers to complete the orders and make Z from the sale of units.

If Z-Y > 0-X then that is a sensible business decision but the problem is they don't know how big Z will be so they will need some decent forecasts before making that choice.

It's the same calculation that they used to decide to make the remaining Touchpad units and sell them at firesale prices but obviously the numbers will be different so the decision may also be different.

If HP sell webOS then all bets are off as the contracts that are in place may not need to be honoured depending on how the sale is managed.
    If Z-Y > 0-X then that is a sensible business decision
    You are of course talking about a sensible company's business decision. We are of course talking about HP :P
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    Quote Originally Posted by fred1955 View Post
    I visited PalmJoy.com and sent them an email asking them if they could either sell the "TouchPad Go" or make it available via ebay or Amazon. The following is their response:

[胖鱼网]: 您在 [胖鱼评测] 7寸TouchPad Go 加映篇 一文的评论有了一条新回复
    这是您的评论:
    When will the TouchPad GO be sold in United States? Or, can you sell on ebay or Amazon? Thank you.
    这是新回复:
    TouchPad Go may not be sold anywhere unless someone takes webOS from HP, this one is a prototype got from HP inside. We probably won't sold it. Thank you.
    更多信息请在原文查看:
    [
    感谢您在 [胖鱼网] 的评论
    本邮件为自动发送,请勿回复。

Note: Need a translator for the other sentences but essentially these are photos of a "prototype" model. So, I tried, and still hope the TouchPad Go will somehow be resurrected one day after webOS gets a reboot somewhere. Cheers and Peace
    Wish Inventec could sell me just one of every component used to make the TouchPad GO. I'd be happy to build my own!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    so, parts inventory on hand and probably paid for.......

sit and lose mega $$$, or, assemble, sell at better than reasonable prices, maybe a break even situation for HP, no mega loss for unused already paid for inventory....

this is a no brainer, the key is the WebOs, keep it or share it in partnership (rights/patent sharing sale) and market the kr*p out of it...

if they don't do the above, WebOs developement for the TP will grind to a halt sooner than later as HP would only be doing minimum maintenence to satisfy the present Touchpad community....death would soon follow...that leaves only third party and maybe a little private end user developement, and that will die to a trickle too....

RIP
    Last edited by bldegle2; 11/16/2011 at 01:39 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhurley View Post
    I guess it depends how much commitment HP have for the orders they already made. If they have to pay for parts that will be wasted or even just a contract default fee then that will go some way to offsetting the possible retail price.

If HP do nothing they pay X to the manufacturers.

If HP make the units they pay Y to the manufacturers to complete the orders and make Z from the sale of units.

If Z-Y > 0-X then that is a sensible business decision but the problem is they don't know how big Z will be so they will need some decent forecasts before making that choice.

It's the same calculation that they used to decide to make the remaining Touchpad units and sell them at firesale prices but obviously the numbers will be different so the decision may also be different.

If HP sell webOS then all bets are off as the contracts that are in place may not need to be honoured depending on how the sale is managed.
    That's not the full story. Imagine the confusion generated by suddenly introducing an all new WebOS device after walking away from WebOS. HP does not need yet another U turn to further tarnish brand equity.

I checked with someone I know at HP today: zero chance that Opal will come out. Ie, no Touchpad Go with WebOS.

~~~
    Global Posts
    100 Global Posts
    I have funny feeling the Kindle Fire II will look shockingly similar to the TP Go.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I checked with someone I know at HP today: zero chance that Opal will come out. Ie, no Touchpad Go with WebOS.
    Unless they're in upper management, they are speculating just like us. There have been no decisions made and disseminated to the HP masses under a vow of secrecy. If there were they would have leaked by now.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    With current tablet offerings the only profitable arena looks to be the mobile one....As in 4g, LTE, etc.

The GO does look like a nice product tho.
    This would have been amazing and I would have taken it over the 64GB TouchPad I have now. More portable, a good rear camera and no fingerprints while maintaining the same screen resolution.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    Unless they're in upper management, they are speculating just like us. There have been no decisions made and disseminated to the HP masses under a vow of secrecy. If there were they would have leaked by now.
    I asked the individual because I know they would offer a reliable answer. HTH. Time will tell the tale.

~~~
  20. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    So do we have any reliable numbers for how many of those are floating around?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast