1.    #1  
    Hi,

I recently bought Remote Desktop Client by Syllogithm for $.99. Plenty of great reviews on it, however I'm too much of an ***** to get connected I guess.

The very first step is:
    "Please enter hostname of the RDP server:"

Now, I am on a wireless network at my house. So I know my IP address on my computer(the one I'm trying to connect to) is 192.xxx.x.x on the network. My public IP that's displayed via whatsmyip is 173.xx.xx.xxx. (I believe that is the IP displayed to the public for all the computers on the network?) I am on Vista and have enabled "Allow remoted desktop assistance".

I cannot get past the first step. It keeps saying: "Unable to connect". Or, it will say "getaddrinfo: Name or service not known".
    I have tried entering just the 192 IP alone. I have tried just the 173 alone. I have tried both addresses with a ":3389" as I think that is the default remote port? Anyone know what the hell I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.
  2. cb7
    Remote Desktop Assistance is not necessary. Although Allowing Remote Desktop Connections is.
    You are correct about needing to use the 192 address.

Take a look at the image: http://www.howtogeek.com/geekers/up/...9-01-23-27.png
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    do as cb7 said
    if you intend to access it from outside of ur network then you will use ur external ip 137.x and configuring ur router / firewall to pass through incoming 3389 port to ur local 192.x specific ip of a machine you intend to connect to
    Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety - Benjamin Franklin
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    You bought a 'Remote Desktop' Client. Not a 'Remote Assistance' Client. You need to enable Remote Desktop.

Assistance requires a windows message/messenger request for assistance the RDP client doesn't do.

Windows Tip of the Day: Remote Desktop vs Remote Assistance

Welcome to the home of Syllogithm's WebOS RDP Client
    Quote Originally Posted by cb7 View Post
    Remote Desktop Assistance is not necessary. Although Allowing Remote Desktop Connections is.
    You are correct about needing to use the 192 address.

Take a look at the image: http://www.howtogeek.com/geekers/up/...9-01-23-27.png
    I'd like to see this image for a friend who I might help to set this up. He has windows-probably Vista.
    Can you upload it to precentral?

Would remote desktop be a secure way for him to view his laptop files or if not, what would be the best way for him? He does not have a VPN.

Thanks.
  6.    #6  
    Thank you for the responses and input!

I was also able to figure out that Vista Home Premium has the Incoming Remote Desktop service disabled and I ended up running a Vista patch that enabled it.

CB7, thank you for the assurance that I was using the correct Ip address. I had an error message when opening that link, but I appreciate it nonetheless.

Fahed, thank you for the clarification on what I need to do to access from outside the outside of the network.

Lurker, sorry I offended you with my incorrect lingo :-(. Also, thanks for the links!