Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GMMan
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    How do I turn off exhibition mode (clock, wallpapers) while the TP is on the Touchstone? I want to eliminate screen burn-in and extend screen life.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    How do I turn off exhibition mode (clock, wallpapers) while the TP is on the Touchstone? I want to eliminate screen burn-in and extend screen life.

I don’t have a Touchstone, but you could turn off the screen by pressing the device’s power button, couldn’t you?

— posted via fabulous webOS and Communities —
    webOS is simply fabulous

TouchPad’s Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
    in isagar2004’s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
    Yeah pressing the power button while it's in exhibition shuts the display off.

I've not heard of a LCD display that suffers from burn in .. Probably 20 years.

Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Yeah pressing the power button while it's in exhibition shuts the display off.

I've not heard of a LCD display that suffers from burn in .. Probably 20 years.

I actually have this same problem. However, in my case, even by pressing the button .. after a while, it turns back on again.

Is there a more permanent way to disable?
    go to the app catalog and download the nightstand app -- go to the exibitition icon in your launcher -- click on nightstand to open it and then select it as you active ecibitition mode -- it is not completely off but the darkest i have found.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    Yeah I have noticed that it seems like when the battery stops charging because it's full, then it lets it drain down a little, and recharges, when it starts recharging, it will sometimes flip in/out of exhibition.

Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by gerzhwin View Post
    I don’t have a Touchstone, but you could turn off the screen by pressing the device’s power button, couldn’t you?

— posted via fabulous webOS and Communities —
    That works for me. There was a problem in 3.02 where notifications would turn the screen back on, but that seems to be fixed in 3.04.
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Yeah I have noticed that it seems like when the battery stops charging because it's full, then it lets it drain down a little, and recharges, when it starts recharging, it will sometimes flip in/out of exhibition.

I know this thread is dated but this is exactly what is happening with my TP. The screen sits merrily charging in a screen off state and the second it hits 100% it springs into life. At that point the power button switches it off again for 20 seconds but it just cycles back and fourth between a tiny discharge and back to a full 100% where the screen always flicks back on.

Did anyone ever find a fix for this? It occurs in webos and but from experience i would say it is more persistant and erratic in CM9. My only option just now is to switch the TS off if i want to avoid the continual screen flicking on and off. Its very distracting.
    If you have a flip case, you could close the case. It's usually what I do.
    Odd.. I've never had mine do this, once I turn it off while on the touchstone, it stays off.

Maybe yours is placed a tiny bit off-center?
    Palm M105 > M130 > Zire 71 > Zire 72 >TX > Lifedrive > Pre > Pre2 >Touchpad > Pre3(8GB) > Pre3 (16GB)
    I see a pattern...
    Quote Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
    Odd.. I've never had mine do this, once I turn it off while on the touchstone, it stays off.

Maybe yours is placed a tiny bit off-center?
    Ye it is odd. Thought it may have been the touchstone at fault, however i have ruled this out as it also happens on my daughters TS. Switching notification off doesnt help and a visit to the Dr hasn't cured it

Gonna go through a process of elimination by deleting apps next. Perhaps there is some rogue background process at work. Not confident this will help TBH since it also occurs in CM.
    IIRC the code that provides the notification can be edited, so maybe it's possible to have the notification not show up in the first place.

I was observing a universal charger charging an old iPod touch, and the light would blink when the iPod is full. The device still uses power, especially if the screen is on, from the battery, and would get topped up once it goes below the maximum mark.
    con500 likes this.
    I use battery saver to automatically turn on airplane mode at set time, when i sleep, this stops notifications waking up screen (11.50pm to 6 am) and turn off screen by power button.

this seems to work well.

http://www.webosnation.com/battery-saver
    Last edited by Firepower; 02/05/2013 at 09:52 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
    I use battery saver to automatically turn off wifi when i sleep, this stops notifications waking up screen (11.50pm to 6 am) and turn off screen by power button.

this seems to work well.

Thanx. Is this available in webos or android? Just had a look on google play store and there are more than a few called battery saver
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    The screen turns on if it loses the WiFi connection for a moment and then regains it. (Then it stays on, which is a small bug in WebOS)