webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP TouchPad > Turn off Touchstone Exhibition Mode?
Turn off Touchstone Exhibition Mode?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GMMan

Old 11/12/2011, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

How do I turn off exhibition mode (clock, wallpapers) while the TP is on the Touchstone? I want to eliminate screen burn-in and extend screen life.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
nToxik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2011, 07:32 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
How do I turn off exhibition mode (clock, wallpapers) while the TP is on the Touchstone? I want to eliminate screen burn-in and extend screen life.

I don’t have a Touchstone, but you could turn off the screen by pressing the device’s power button, couldn’t you?

— posted via fabulous webOS and Communities —

TouchPad’s Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
in isagar2004’s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
gerzhwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2011, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yeah pressing the power button while it's in exhibition shuts the display off.

I've not heard of a LCD display that suffers from burn in .. Probably 20 years.

Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2011, 08:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Yeah pressing the power button while it's in exhibition shuts the display off.

I've not heard of a LCD display that suffers from burn in .. Probably 20 years.

I actually have this same problem. However, in my case, even by pressing the button .. after a while, it turns back on again.

Is there a more permanent way to disable?
keplenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2011, 09:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

go to the app catalog and download the nightstand app -- go to the exibitition icon in your launcher -- click on nightstand to open it and then select it as you active ecibitition mode -- it is not completely off but the darkest i have found.

Twitter @robchilcott
pre2
" I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
Daughter -- my old pre+
of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
mespiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/12/2011, 10:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yeah I have noticed that it seems like when the battery stops charging because it's full, then it lets it drain down a little, and recharges, when it starts recharging, it will sometimes flip in/out of exhibition.

Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/13/2011, 12:27 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerzhwin View Post
I don’t have a Touchstone, but you could turn off the screen by pressing the device’s power button, couldn’t you?

— posted via fabulous webOS and Communities —
That works for me. There was a problem in 3.02 where notifications would turn the screen back on, but that seems to be fixed in 3.04.
dirtyfingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 04:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Yeah I have noticed that it seems like when the battery stops charging because it's full, then it lets it drain down a little, and recharges, when it starts recharging, it will sometimes flip in/out of exhibition.

I know this thread is dated but this is exactly what is happening with my TP. The screen sits merrily charging in a screen off state and the second it hits 100% it springs into life. At that point the power button switches it off again for 20 seconds but it just cycles back and fourth between a tiny discharge and back to a full 100% where the screen always flicks back on.

Did anyone ever find a fix for this? It occurs in webos and but from experience i would say it is more persistant and erratic in CM9. My only option just now is to switch the TS off if i want to avoid the continual screen flicking on and off. Its very distracting.
con500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 07:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

If you have a flip case, you could close the case. It's usually what I do.
sledge007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/04/2013, 11:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Odd.. I've never had mine do this, once I turn it off while on the touchstone, it stays off.

Maybe yours is placed a tiny bit off-center?
Old 02/04/2013, 01:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfallen_angel View Post
Odd.. I've never had mine do this, once I turn it off while on the touchstone, it stays off.

Maybe yours is placed a tiny bit off-center?
Ye it is odd. Thought it may have been the touchstone at fault, however i have ruled this out as it also happens on my daughters TS. Switching notification off doesnt help and a visit to the Dr hasn't cured it

Gonna go through a process of elimination by deleting apps next. Perhaps there is some rogue background process at work. Not confident this will help TBH since it also occurs in CM.
Old 02/04/2013, 02:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

IIRC the code that provides the notification can be edited, so maybe it's possible to have the notification not show up in the first place.

I was observing a universal charger charging an old iPod touch, and the light would blink when the iPod is full. The device still uses power, especially if the screen is on, from the battery, and would get topped up once it goes below the maximum mark.
webOS Releases: Change your App Catalog country: TouchPad/PC | TouchPad/webOS Resources | Search suggestion patch for browser | Cycling Email Notifications | Don't Doctor! Make a good support request. | How to post logs | webOS Charge Monitor
GMMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by con500 likes this.
Old 02/04/2013, 04:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

I use battery saver to automatically turn on airplane mode at set time, when i sleep, this stops notifications waking up screen (11.50pm to 6 am) and turn off screen by power button.

this seems to work well.

http://www.webosnation.com/battery-saver

Last edited by Firepower; 02/05/2013 at 08:52 AM.
Firepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: con500
Old 02/05/2013, 04:57 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firepower View Post
I use battery saver to automatically turn off wifi when i sleep, this stops notifications waking up screen (11.50pm to 6 am) and turn off screen by power button.

this seems to work well.

Thanx. Is this available in webos or android? Just had a look on google play store and there are more than a few called battery saver
Old 02/05/2013, 08:27 AM   #15 (permalink)

The screen turns on if it loses the WiFi connection for a moment and then regains it. (Then it stays on, which is a small bug in WebOS)
Semma2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0