• 2 Post By Steep
  • 1 Post By russg
  • 2 Post By Heist
  • 1 Post By WebOSMember
  • 1 Post By dabombcra
  • 1 Post By dirtyfingers
  1.    #1  
    Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knows what the expected life of a TouchPad display is? I hate having the screen turn itself on while on the Touchstone because I don't want the brightness to decrease over time in case this is the last webOS tablet made.

Stu :-)
    Years, certainly far longer than you're likely to be using it for, the way technology advances.
    stuartguthrie and ohiomoto like this.
    Stu,

It will last right up to the point where you drop it and break it.

In all seriousness, LED backlight is typically rated at about 100,000 hours and the LCD color components have near the same rating. In theory you could leave it on continuously for 11 years but YMMV.
    stuartguthrie likes this.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    By the time the screen's backlight starts dimming or going bad, this device will be nearly obsolete. And if the display / light does bad, replacements parts will be almost impossible to find. So, don't worry about it.
    stuartguthrie and Vistaus like this.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks heaps for your replies! I'm glad to know using it on the touchstone isn't going to kill the screen.

Be careful about burn in though. An image dissipated for too long can leave an after image.

Sent from my G2
    I'd be more concerned with the life of the Touch Sensor & surface wearing out itself long before the lcd screen.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by chronoreverse View Post
    Be careful about burn in though. An image dissipated for too long can leave an after image.

Sent from my G2
    I thought that was no longer an issue with LCD monitors. I was under the impression that that only affected the older CRT monitors and plasma TVs. ???

Quote Originally Posted by chronoreverse View Post

Sent from my G2
    that is incorrect with todays LCD technology. For CRT yes but even that depends.
    Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone knows what the expected life of a TouchPad display is? I hate having the screen turn itself on while on the Touchstone because I don't want the brightness to decrease over time in case this is the last webOS tablet made.

The display will be fine. I would be more concerned with the battery going out. The battery will not last as long as the display.

Sent from Communities. I am the webOS 1%
    Quote Originally Posted by crucialcolin View Post
    I'd be more concerned with the life of the Touch Sensor & surface wearing out itself long before the lcd screen.
    I would be more concerned about battery degradation since it is not replaceable.
    yeah, besides physical damage, battery life is my main concern. That and my white touchpad's USB port is bent at an angle now....must have damaged it recently, it did not do this before. But it still works for now, and I charge it via the touchstone primarily to maintain the life of the port.

I bought armour suit carbon fiber skins with screen protectors and HP cases, as well as fabric sleeves...I'm trying to make these touchpads last.
    Palm Centro -> Palm Pre- -> HTC Evo 3D SPRINT
    iPhone 3G -> HP Veer Black -> HP Veer White AT&T
    Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer Black -> HP Pre 3 (UK - Unlocked 8gb) AT&T
    HP Pre 3 (US - AT&T 16gb)
    HP TouchPad Black 1.2GHz 32GB
    HP TouchPad White 1.5GHz 64GB
    HP TouchPad Black 1.5GHz 32GB AT&T

(You have no idea what I would do to get a TouchPad Go)

Obviously I have a problem (see above). . .
    And it has nothing to do with more cowbell. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorhead777 View Post
    that is incorrect with todays LCD technology. For CRT yes but even that depends.
    Even with LCD's it's still possible. Try leaving the exhibition mode clock on for a couple continuous days and you'll already see temporary image ghosts.

The mechanism is entirely different from CRT's and it takes a lot more to cause permanent ghosting, but even LCD's can have it happen.

Still, it's almost certainly not a problem with normal use.

Sent from my G2
    I assume you can just shut it down like I do after plugging the conventional charger in. As opposed to using the power button I use Device Information>Reset Options>Shut Down>Shut Down
    Once your TouchPad is in exhibition mode (clock), just tap the power button to turn the screen off
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyfingers View Post
    I would be more concerned about battery degradation since it is not replaceable.
    I'm very hopeful that some third-party company will come up with a replacement battery
    for the Touchpad. There will be a demand in a year or so, after all the Touchpads go out
    of warrany. (except those who bought HP ADP)
    No need to worry about this. Unless you drop it, it'll outlast rest of your TP. I'm not even worried about the battery. Unless something abnormal happens, the battery should last 2-3 yrs and that's good enough for me. After that, a quad-core or better tablet should be in my hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by stuartguthrie View Post
    Hey all,

Longer than the battery will remain working and longer than the case will hold together. So I wouldn't worry about it. So, alarm clock away.