Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I'm not sure what caused the problem. This was given to my sister. I believe TP failes when she tried updating theto 3.04. When TP turns on the HP logo sticks. I've charged up fully with multiple chargers. I tried holding the card button and power button down for 15 secs. At that point the screen did flash and restart but the HP logo again was stuck. I then tried holding down volume up and other combinations of card power buttons. I got it to restart or turn off this way but would always restart with stuck HP logo. Doing this though I was able to get the white usb logo to appear. At this point I plugged into my PC and ran web doctor. At %12 it fails. I removed the webdoctor and tried downloading and running it again but it also failed at %12. Any help out there? Time to contact HP? What will they do replace it?
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I have the same problem on Pre3 AT&T . While I doctor Pre2 is Ok
    if it fails at 8% all the time then you have to do a memboot but 12% just says something is disconnecting so use a different usb port and cable if you can. i would try running the web doctor 4 or 5 times then come back if it fails again , or just check out this wiki page it tells how you can fix your issue . but i believe if you reboot your computer and then check that novacom is running it should work eventually. make sure touchpad is off . then start the doctor with the usb already plugged into the touchpad , and when the doctor tells you to plug in your device while holding the volume up button plug in the other end of the usb cable into your computer. this will put into recovery mode. then hit next . pm me if you have any questions.
    ( to make sure novacom is running )
    open start menu and in the search type in " services.msc " in the populated results click on services or services.msc . then in the window that opens scroll down to palm novacom and right click on it and hit restart.
    this should work for both of you !
    Last edited by Shadavis08; 11/11/2011 at 10:09 PM.
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    http://forums.precentral.net/webos-i...e-fixed-2.html
    I found this thread with others stuck at %12 with potential fix but I don't understand directions. I think it may suggest if I try web doctor from a 32 bit version of windows instead it might work? Any help with understanding the suggestions in that thread would be much appreciated.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I don't know if this matters but at %4 during web doctor the TP screen turns from usb picture to hp logo and then back to micro chip icon with down arrow. At this time I can hear 2 occasions the dual sound that means something usb was plugged in and out. Also the %12 progress remains for quite a while before I get the unable to restart my device message. I went into services and saw the palm novacom was started and restarted anyways to no avail.
    One thing I did notice is the first time I tried web doctor there was kind of a v picture on screen with two stick looking things. Since then every time i try web doctor, instead of that I get a picture of a microchip and a big fat down arrow.
    Last edited by leif; 11/11/2011 at 11:29 PM.
    Another suggestion to the 12% fail problem is to just fully delete and rebuild your meta-doctor again using the appropriate script. That has worked for me.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    Another suggestion to the 12% fail problem is to just fully delete and rebuild your meta-doctor again using the appropriate script. That has worked for me.
    Bit more of a clue? How do I fully delete and rebuild? If you mean a full erase, then that didn't work for me.

Alan
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    Bit more of a clue? How do I fully delete and rebuild? If you mean a full erase, then that didn't work for me.

Alan
    I don't mean a full erase or anything at all on your webOS device for that matter. What I mean is this...

On the computer running Linux which you are using for metadoctoring (not your webOS device), do the following:

-go to the "meta-doctor" folder that was created when you downloaded metadoctor, and you will see several subfolders, 2 of which should be named "build" and "downloads".

-delete everything inside of the "build" sub-folder and the "downloads" sub-folder.

-rerun the appropriate script that you originally ran to build the metadoctor for your phone and let it redownload/rebuild as necessary.

-(putting your webOS device into recovery mode first if necessary) run the newly rebuilt metadoctor on your webOS device and it should work this time without failing at 12%.
    For a TP, I would download the doctor directly here:
    WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals instead of building a meta-doctor and possibly, rather than the 3.04 doctor, even try running the 3.02 version and letting an OTA bump you up to 3.04.
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    For a TP, I would download the doctor directly here:
    WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals instead of building a meta-doctor and possibly, rather than the 3.04 doctor, even try running the 3.02 version and letting an OTA bump you up to 3.04.
    Thanks for adding that, kayphoonstar. My instructions are mainly applicable to fixing the 12% problem when it occurs with a webOS phone rather than a Touchpad. With a Touchpad, just redownload an official doctor off the web to make sure you have a good copy, and run it again. If that doesnt work by itself, try also following the instructions in this thread: WebOS Doctor - 12% Issue - Fixed!!! .
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    well, as I have said in other posts, nothing works at all. Its as if the whole TouchPad is set to read-only. I have no idea where to go from here.

alan
    well, as I have said in other posts, nothing works at all. Its as if the whole TouchPad is set to read-only. I have no idea where to go from here.

alan
    Can you clue us in on what kind of errors or messages you're getting when you run the console commands from the other thread?

Also, when you run your webOS doctor, do it from the linux command shell so you can also see background output messages, then copy and paste them here.

To run the doctor this way, open a command shell, then from the folder containing the webOS doctor, run:

java -jar <your-webOS-doctor-name>.jar

(without the <> brackets of course)
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Can you clue us in on what kind of errors or messages you're getting when you run the console commands from the other thread?

Also, when you run your webOS doctor, do it from the linux command shell so you can also see background output messages, then copy and paste them here.

To run the doctor this way, open a command shell, then from the folder containing the webOS doctor, run:

java -jar <your-webOS-doctor-name>.jar

(without the <> brackets of course)
    Many thanks for taking an interest (you may regret this....).

I ran the command as you said and it produced many thousands of lines of text. So, I set the maximum line size in myu command window (9999) and ran it again. The attached zip file expands to 500Kb of text but I have no idea how to interpret it. Any help appreciated.

I did see a few lines like this:

Dec 30, 2011 2:26:15 PM com.palm.nova.installer.recoverytool.CardController logPrint
    INFO: Trenchcoat: A bug has been detected in GNU Parted. Refer to the web site of parted Parted - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation.
    html for more informations of what could be useful for bug submitting! Please email a bug report to bug-parted@gnu.org containing a
    t least the version (1.8.9) and the following message: Assertion (cluster >= 2 && cluster < fs_info->cluster_count + 2) at calc.c:3
    78 in function fat_cluster_to_frag() failed.

[edit 2]
    I ran the webos300 doctor and it produced more (to me) meaningful information and a much smaller file size. It's attached as well. It may mean something to someone who understands this stuff.

regards

Alan
    PS - Sorry about hijacking this thread - if someone wants to move it, just do so
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by alan sh; 12/30/2011 at 08:52 AM.
    I took a quick glance at both files you attached. Which doctor or command were you running when you got the first set of errors about gparted and such? That was strange indeed. Curious that it is referring to the gparted partition manager which handles setting up the flash storage on the TP, so it sounds like it's in the same ballpark as where the rest of us were.

On the other hand, the better news is that the second set of messages you attached actually look almost identical to those that I've seen before with myself and a few other folks who had this problem.

The short story in my case was that the doctor I was running must not have downloaded properly, and after just redownloading it again from the web, everything worked a charm. Lucky me.

For a lot of others, the problem was with a small glitch in the flash storage on the TP, which was fixed using the "dosfsck -r /dev/mapper/store-media" command on the TouchPad itself (NOT on the computer) over a novaterm connection. What I mean by that is that after your doctor has failed at 12%, you can run the "novaterm" command from the linux command prompt on your PC, and it will take you to the command prompt INSIDE the TouchPad itself. From there, you run the "dosfsck -r /dev/mapper/store-media" command. Afterwards, type "exit" and try running the doctor again.

If THAT doesnt work, I would suggest running the commands to rebuild the flash storage structure altogether (btw, this will erase everything currently saved on your TP).
    Here are the steps:

-after the doctor fails at 12%, run the "novaterm" command from the linux command prompt on your PC. This will access the command prompt of the TP itself.
    -from that command prompt, run "lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure"
    -then run "lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure"
    -then run "mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media"
    -then, type "exit" and try running the webOS doctor again

Between redownloading a fresh doctor, repairing the flash storage, or rebuilding the flash storage, you should be able to resolve this.

Side note: I suggest using a copy of the newest webOS 3.0.4 doctor during this whole endeavor.
    Last edited by sq5; 12/30/2011 at 10:43 AM.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I am rebooting the touchpad in between each try. Is that wrong?

My latest attempt was to run the commands in the "how to recover". To get there, I start up WOSQI and then do "tools - Linux Command Line". That gets me a command prompt on my TP.

I get this:

C:\Users\Alan\Downloads\Touchpad>"C:/Program Files/Palm, Inc/novacom.exe" -d dc3

root@HPTouchPad:/# lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
    lvm.static vgscan --ignorelockingfailure
    Reading all physical volumes. This may take a while...
    Found volume group "store" using metadata type lvm2
    root@HPTouchPad:/#
    root@HPTouchPad:/# lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
    lvm.static vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
    8 logical volume(s) in volume group "store" now active
    root@HPTouchPad:/# lvm.static vgremove store
    lvm.static vgremove store
    Do you really want to remove volume group "store" containing 8 logical volumes?
    y

Can't remove open logical volume "root"
    Do you really want to remove volume group "store" containing 8 logical volumes?

So, that failed.

I then ran your command: mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media

Which seemed to work.

So, now I'm downloading 3.0.2 again so I can try that.

Alan
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    And that failed again at 12% with the same set of messages as the 3.0.4 (first file) try.

Alan
    And that failed again at 12% with the same set of messages as the 3.0.4 (first file) try.

Alan
    Yuck, ok.

Just to note, I typically haven't rebooted the TP between any of the steps, which could possibly make a difference. After completing any command sequences through novaterm, just go ahead and rerun the doctor without rebooting the TP.

It is important that your TP not be booted up all the way during any of these steps because your access to the filesystem is more restricted when the tablet is booted past a certain point. The reason I said to start novaterm and such after the doctor fails at 12% is because at that particular point, the TP is booted up just enough to allow novaterm access, but not so far that low-level filesystem access is unavailable.

Some other thoughts:

-It might be good to run the check/repair command ("dosfsck -r /dev/mapper/store-media") right after doing the last rebuild command ("mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media"), but before rerunning the doctor, just to see if it goes through clean.

-This may sound crazy but the problem still may not necassarily be with the TouchPad itself, like in my case and some others. Try doing all of this using another computer (preferably one running Linux) if at all possible, to rule out using windows (especially if it's 64-bit) and the WOSQI provided command prompt as an issue. If that isnt possible, at least try updating or reinstalling your Java interpretor and WOSQI/Novacom drivers, or using a different 32-bit windows machine.
    Last edited by sq5; 12/30/2011 at 08:20 PM.
    Btw, did you try to run the whole sequence of commands from the How To Recover page?

lvm.static vgcreate -s 8M store /dev/mmcblk0p14
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 71 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 0 -n root store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 8 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 1 -n var store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 2 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 2 -n update store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 3 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 3 -n log store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 32 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 4 -n mojodb store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 17 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 5 -n filecache store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 3523 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 6 -n media store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 64 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 7 -n swap store
    mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media

Even if the "lvm.static vgremove store" command gave an error, try continuing through all the rest for manually reinitializing various parts of the filesystem.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    ok thanks. I'll do what you suggested and report back.

my gut feeling (I know nothing of the file system) is that there is a master index file which has been set to read-only somewhere. So, no matter what I do, that index never gets updated and therefore it goes back to what it was at the last reboot. But, I could be wrong...

alan
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Btw, did you try to run the whole sequence of commands from the How To Recover page?

lvm.static vgcreate -s 8M store /dev/mmcblk0p14
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 71 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 0 -n root store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 8 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 1 -n var store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 2 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 2 -n update store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 3 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 3 -n log store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 32 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 4 -n mojodb store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 17 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 5 -n filecache store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 3523 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 6 -n media store
    lvm.static lvcreate -l 64 -i 1 -M y --major 254 --minor 7 -n swap store
    mkdosfs -f 1 -s 64 /dev/store/media

Even if the "lvm.static vgremove store" command gave an error, try continuing through all the rest for manually reinitializing various parts of the filesystem.
    I ran all the commands above. The attached text file shows what happened. Basically, even though it said it had removed all the partitions, when I came to recreate them, they were still in existance. But I persevered to the end and then ran the DOSFSCK command after.

I then re-ran the 3.0.4 update again. This stuck at 12% as always. So, still think there is one master file somewhere which I can't get at or update. But I know nothing about the internal file system here (I'm an old DOS man from way back).

Alan

PS - I can't try a 32 bit Windows or a Linux machine - I don't have any.
    Attached Files Attached Files
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast