Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    ok thanks. I'll do what you suggested and report back.

my gut feeling (I know nothing of the file system) is that there is a master index file which has been set to read-only somewhere. So, no matter what I do, that index never gets updated and therefore it goes back to what it was at the last reboot. But, I could be wrong...

alan
    I had a feeling you were a DOS guy, because for a "non-Linux guy", you didn't seem squeamish at all about using the command shell. I started with DOS myself too, so I always have a soft spot for it, but I digress...

To try and answer your thoughts above, I'm gonna make some DOS analogies.

lvm.static = fdisk
    mkdosfs = format
    dosfsck = scandisk

You can probably tell that we're basically deleting and rebuilding partitions, so the commands we're running, particularly the first 2, are at a lower level than dealing within the filesystem itself. As such, read/write permissions shouldn't really come into play anyway. I guess you could first try running "mount -o remount rw, /" on the TP through novaterm before starting any other commands, just to be sure it is read/write enabled.

Having said that, it is a bit peculiar that your TP showed the 8 partitions after you had just deleted them. Nonetheless, the scan of your flash storage at the end went through without errors so it would seem like your TP is in good shape for running the doctor.

I'll scrutinize your recent output some more, but I still have this nagging feeling that your TP may be ok, and that the issue exists somewhere with the setup on the PC you're using.
    Last edited by sq5; 12/31/2011 at 09:44 AM.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    is there any command I can run from Xecutah/Xterm on the TouchPad itself?

I can try running the dr doctor from another pc - one that I did use successfully before.

its also interesting (??) that I cannot do a full erase from the TouchPad. It seems to work, but after a reboot, the accounts etc are all back again.

also, after each reboot, all the same reminders come back. So, personally, I don't think its my PC at fault. But I will try rebuilding on another PC just to eliminate that possibility.

Alan
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    PS - many thanks for your help here.

Alan
    is there any command I can run from Xecutah/Xterm on the TouchPad itself?

I can try running the dr doctor from another pc - one that I did use successfully before.

its also interesting (??) that I cannot do a full erase from the TouchPad. It seems to work, but after a reboot, the accounts etc are all back again.

also, after each reboot, all the same reminders come back. So, personally, I don't think its my PC at fault. But I will try rebuilding on another PC just to eliminate that possibility.

Alan
    That is an odd twist. (Keep in mind that after any full erase, your TP will resync it's apps and accounts from the cloud once you sign it back into your webOS account. But, it doesn't sound like it even asks you to sign back in from what you're saying.) Could you try doing a Secure Full Erase and see what outcome you get after a reboot?
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Its the same with a secure full erase. I restart it and it just carries on as if I hadn't done it.

Alan
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    I've just tried doing a 3.0.2 doctor using the same executable (JAR file) that worked on my own laptop. I used a different pc, a different cable.

No change - it's stilll failing at 12% and coming back as if nothing had been done.

So, I'm back to thinking some critical file(s) is set read only. Is there any Unix/Linux command I can do to check out permissions or some other such thing. I don't know enough about the O/S to know what to look for.

Alan
    Thanks for helping rule the PC issue out. Typically the most you can do from the booted up tablet itself is a secure erase. You have much more control over a novaterm connection. Two commands you could run to try and force everything on the device to be accessible are:

mount -o remount rw, /

and then,

chmod -f -R 777 /

The first command tells the flash storage to reload in read/write mode if it isnt already. The second command is similar to the "attrib" command in DOS...in particular it says to go through every single file in every folder on the device and give it full read/write/execute accessibility to any user.

You would run those 2 commands at the novaterm prompt before doing any other commands (no reboots in between either).

It does seem increasingly plausible that certain write commands aren't being commited to the device. Not necessarily even with a particular file, but at the hardware level (almost like having the write protect tab set on a floppy). Hopefully that isn't an obscure hardware issue. I'm trying to see if I can simulate the issue somehow on one of my devices.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Second command gives me an error:

root@HPTouchPad:/#
    root@HPTouchPad:/# chmod -f -R 777 /
    chmod -f -R 777 /
    chmod: 777: No such file or directory
    chmod: invalid mode '-f'

What did I do wrong?

Edit - I am trying it without the -f - this is what is going on (
    root@HPTouchPad:/# chmod -R 777 /
    chmod -R 777 /
    chmod: /var/luna/data/extractfs: Function not implemented
    chmod: /dev/.static/dev: Read-only file system
    chmod: /proc/sys: Operation not permitted
    chmod: /proc/1: Operation not permitted
    chmod: /proc/2: Operation not permitted
    chmod: /proc/3: Operation not permitted
    chmod: /proc/4: Operation not permitted
    chmod: /proc/7: Operation not permitted
    chmod: /proc/9: Operation not permitted
    chmod: /proc/10: Operation not permitted
    chmod: /proc/11: Operation not permitted
    chmod: /proc/12: Operation not permitted

various others down to 3006 then it finished.

I'll try erase now.

Alan
    Last edited by alan sh; 12/31/2011 at 01:37 PM. Reason: more info
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    The system hung on me when exiting novaterm. But the full erase didn't work either. I;m going to try a doctor - when that fails, run the novaterm stuff again and then doctor it again - all without a reboot - and see what happens.

Alan
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    No difference. It still won't do anything.

Alan
    You didn't do anything wrong. Those errors are normal during a chmod process as broadly as I had you set it. The /dev folder contains mostly shortcuts to various hardware devices, whether or not they actually exist on your unit, and can't be accessed like regular files. None of those look important. Taking out the -f isn't a problem either since all it normally does is hide those extraneous errors that you saw anyway.

Second command gives me an error:

root@HPTouchPad:/# chmod -f -R 777 /
    chmod -f -R 777 /
    chmod: 777: No such file or directory
    chmod: invalid mode '-f'

What did I do wrong?

Edit - I am trying it without the -f - this is what is going on (
    root@HPTouchPad:/# chmod -R 777 /
    chmod -R 777 /
    chmod: /proc/12: Operation not permitted

various others down to 3006 then it finished.

I'll try erase now.

Alan
    Last edited by sq5; 12/31/2011 at 06:04 PM.
    No difference. It still won't do anything.

Alan
    That really stinks. Thanks for being so quick to try out everything suggested so far (being comfortable with a DOS-like command prompt is usually half the battle). I have to try and formulate a different approach to this now. Let me know in the mean time whether you are able to otherwise normally write to the device in any way and have those things stick across a reboot.

In other words, can you do things like install an app, save a photo from the web, or put your TP into USB mode and drag/drop a file to it successfully and still have them be there after a reboot?
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    the answer is no to all those things. Nothing sticks across a reboot.

alan
    the answer is no to all those things. Nothing sticks across a reboot.

alan
    Wow, that really is odd, and quite telling.

The closest I've found to symptoms this pervasive was in a bit of discussion between some guys trying to work with android on their TouchPads. It seemed like a few people sent them in under warranty and HP found/replaced what turned out to be a faulty EEPROM (flash memory) controller on their devices.

A malfunctioning controller would certainly explain what you're experiencing. If the controller is malfunctioning, it would usually be desinged to fall back into a forced "read-only failsafe mode" like what you see, to prevent data corruption. Even if the operating system says your storage is set to read/write, that malfunctioning controller would be universally forcing it to read-only at the hardware level (think floppy disk write-protect tab again), so no system command could likely circumvent it. I still hope its not that, though it looks increasingly like that may be the case here now.

If you are still under warranty, I'd say it's worth making HP evaluate the hardware. Something is definitely wrong beyond the garden variety software issue if secure erases and partition rebuilds aren't sticking over a reboot.

edit: for reference, here is the link to one of those discussions I just mentioned.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1318019
    Last edited by sq5; 12/31/2011 at 07:22 PM.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Yes, that makes sense. I'll contact HP next week and see what happens. It must still be under warranty - so it should get fixed...

Thanks for all your help.

Alan
    I have the exact same issue. The thing is that touchpad worked for me a couple of weeks, i even put android on it, it worked great, after i had some audio problems(surely not related to hardware) so i wanted to reset it, i tried it the first time on a 64 windows (dont know if that changes anything), that's when i realised that nothing happens, after i did the same process(re-creating the partitions) on windows and linux, same result, no luck.
    I have called HP but they told me that they will not handle my case since i installed another os on it, so basically i am stuck with it. That's why i still hope i could get it to work again(i hope it's a software problem).
    So if you have guys another ideas i'm ready to try it on my tablet. Thanks
    i had the same problem, fixed it the other night.

reference this link:

WebOS Doctor - 12% Issue - Fixed!!!

If that doesnt work, this is the one that did work for me. Using the steps in the above link, when it got stuck at 12%, i followed the steps on this page: (message 14 by nononsense)

HP Touch Pad - Web OS Doctor FREEZES at 12% - Bric... - Page 2 - Support Community
    So to be exact, you had the same issue, you could't write or remove files, you could't remove partitions ?
    Quote Originally Posted by flipnduc View Post
    i had the same problem, fixed it the other night.

reference this link:

WebOS Doctor - 12% Issue - Fixed!!!

If that doesnt work, this is the one that did work for me. Using the steps in the above link, when it got stuck at 12%, i followed the steps on this page: (message 14 by nononsense)

HP Touch Pad - Web OS Doctor FREEZES at 12% - Bric... - Page 2 - Support Community
    Thanks for your input, but I think missed the last page or so of this thread. Those suggestions, and then some, were already tried by the users who are still having issues.
    Last edited by sq5; 01/05/2012 at 09:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by artur90 View Post
    So to be exact, you had the same issue, you could't write or remove files, you could't remove partitions ?
    If the suggestion he made is what worked for him, then unfortunately he was not having the same read-only problem that you and some others have.
    Last edited by sq5; 01/05/2012 at 09:42 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast