Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Found this on another site: [App] Add-Hoc tethering by Bedrock

App link: http://1ac5b9a8.theseforums.com

Someone named BedRock developed a custom hack to get TPs to recognize and use Ad-Hoc networks.
    I haven't tried it yet myself but others are reporting success tethering to various non-Pre phones.

1. Delete saved wifi profile (WiFi->WiFi Preferences ->Choose a network ->Forget Network)

2. Launch ad-hoc tethering app in touchpad

3. Use Google DNS settings in the ad-hoc tethering app (SSID: <whatever-name-you-gave-for-your-wifi-hotspot>; Preferred DNS:8.8.8.8; Alternate DNS 8.8.4.4)

4. Start tethering app on phone (in my case MyWi5 in iPhone 4; make sure it's unsecure - i.e. no WEP/WAP/WAP2, you can do this by playing with your advanced WIfI settings)

5. Start Add-Hoc mode on TP through this app
    Last edited by Heist; 11/21/2011 at 12:24 PM.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    Just looked at the link. Doesn't work with any secured (WEP) access. Doesn't work with 3.0.4.

Personally, I have something called Connectify for when I am in the office (no wifi but my laptop has wired connectivity). Away from there, I tether to my HTC Desire which works fine (but kills the battery, so I do try and limit that)

ALan
    OMG!OMG!OMG! It's working! Browser (Including advance) TuneIn readio works(it first gave me error but then it started playing). Email, chat and call stay offline though. But hey it is betterthan nothing. Long live for my N8

More apps that work: Facebook, USA Today, Accuwearher, App catalog.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    Just looked at the link. Doesn't work with any secured (WEP) access. Doesn't work with 3.0.4.

Personally, I have something called Connectify for when I am in the office (no wifi but my laptop has wired connectivity). Away from there, I tether to my HTC Desire which works fine (but kills the battery, so I do try and limit that)

ALan
    it works with 3.0.4.
    Some lucky cellphone owners have been able to use apps on their cellphone that TP seems to agree with and allows it to connect, but there are a larger number of users -especially iPhone users - for whom no native or 3rd party app would work.
    Interesting. Though I obtained a couple of Pre phones for this sort of purpose (and more). I was under the impression that the whole "adhoc" networking theory was a complete sham, as I've never seen any devices that were able to connect in such fashion
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Interesting. Though I obtained a couple of Pre phones for this sort of purpose (and more). I was under the impression that the whole "adhoc" networking theory was a complete sham, as I've never seen any devices that were able to connect in such fashion
    Well, its pretty nefarious on HP's part to create a tablet with no ability to connect to ad hoc wifi hotspots, unless it is one generated by one of their Pre phones (probably the least owned smartphone on the market) and not inform consumers of this.

I believe for many people it would have played a major factor in their purchasing decision, because wants a $500 device that you can only use when at a fixed IP address?
    I'm not so sure that's "nefarious" as "rather uncommon". In all the years I've been using WiFi (many), I've never seen any device that would successfully talk to a router that was marked adhoc rather than infra. Just personal experience, though, certainly not empirical. Never bothered to try to figure it out, since I didn't own any device that wouldn't give an Infra mode connection.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist View Post
    Well, its pretty nefarious on HP's part to create a tablet with no ability to connect to ad hoc wifi hotspots, unless it is one generated by one of their Pre phones (probably the least owned smartphone on the market) and not inform consumers of this.

I believe for many people it would have played a major factor in their purchasing decision, because wants a $500 device that you can only use when at a fixed IP address?
    The WiFi network created by webOS phone isn't ad hoc, it's infrastructure (and always has been). My observation so far is that ad hoc networking is most often used for various wifi hacks. I understand the frustration for those who do need ad hoc connections, but ad hoc wireless networking is really very uncommon and barely worth supporting. I don't see any 'nefariousness' on HP's part here.
    Works well with Android tether. App catalog works to browse, but not to purchase apps. Some apps may not detect internet connection.
  10. z0g
    This does work well. Found out about this in some other very long thread that offered several shell scripts to do this. I've tethered my iPhone with PdaNet. Observations - WEP key must be blank, and SSID is case sensitive. I use Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Mail does not work. Web does. TuneIn Radio works, but iHeartRadio doesn't. your mileage may vary.

I think a newer version of iOS can run PdaNet in Infrastructure mode, but i am stuck on 4.1 for a number of reasons (too much stuff from cydia to reinstall and im lazy) so its AdHoc only for me

The TP is not the only tablet that doesn't "see" ad-hoc connections. Androids of any ilk only connect via infrastructure. As far as phones, the pickins' are quite slim too. My Droid X was capable of tethering via infrastructure and could also send & receive SMS but that's because it had native AP capabilities and also the MAP bluetooth profile. The EVO 4G also has the same capabilities but both are huge phones that are not exactly "portable". Get a dev to come up with a way to install MAP on a Pre+ and I'm very happy.
    I can tether my TP to my Samsung Vibrant with no problems. Everything I have tried works. I have not tried purchasing apps though.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    I'm not so sure that's "nefarious" as "rather uncommon". In all the years I've been using WiFi (many), I've never seen any device that would successfully talk to a router that was marked adhoc rather than infra. Just personal experience, though, certainly not empirical. Never bothered to try to figure it out, since I didn't own any device that wouldn't give an Infra mode connection.
    Nefarious upon retrospect was too strong a word.
    That said, when creating a consumer level item you would think HP would understand that 90% of consumers wouldn't know the difference between a ad-hoc and an infra WiFi connection. Especially given how so many phones now tout that they are hotspot enabled and can act as router for all your wireless devices.
    And to that end, HP would understand most people are not going to have Pre phones and with a high probability that they would use their phone as the hotspot.
    And to that end, HP would understand most people are not going to have Pre phones and with a high probability that they would use their phone as the hotspot.
    But again, it isn't just Pre phones that create a infrastructure wifi network. I honestly don't know how many LEGITIMATE devices create only ad hoc networks, but I've run into essentially none myself. I understand that some of the tethering hacks do it that way (since as hacks they don't have access to the full functions of the wireless chip), but few other devices do this. I have been working as a computer consultant and technician for over 20 years (i.e. since long before wifi existed), and have never once connected anything to an ad hoc wifi network (I have seen a few in wifi scans over the years though, so I'm not claiming they don't exist).

Ad hoc networks were primarily meant to provide device-to-device connections for data exchange between the two devices - i.e. so two computers can share files wirelessly without the presence of an access point. The idea of providing a routed internet connection via an ad hoc network is almost a hack by definition.

I certainly agree that it would be nice if the Touchpad would connect to every possible network, but just I can't see the claim that HP has been short-sighted or purposely limited the networking capabilities of the Touchpad to limit the connection to Pre phones. Expecting HP to support ad hoc networks because some tethering HACKS for other phones can only do ad hoc is a bit much.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    I see your point, Johnson, however it's a bit frustrating considering my laptop, my friend's Ipad, and my other friends Xoom will all connect with no problems.
    My iPod, netbook, and laptop do not. There's an adhoc interface nearby where I work somewhere, and I've never been able to connect to it.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    Hi, i'm responing now through a ad-hoc connection right now from iphone to laptop. I also connect to my android 2.2 and 3.2 tablets with ad-hoc. So this can be done.
    johnsonx42 i can't belive you have never connected to a ad-hoc network in all your years. It works great with most sites. Still trying with HP touch, work in progress. thanks all
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    My iPod, netbook, and laptop do not. There's an adhoc interface nearby where I work somewhere, and I've never been able to connect to it.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Strange. I've never had problems with connecting with any device other than my TP.

Quote Originally Posted by beemoe View Post
    Hi, i'm responing now through a ad-hoc connection right now from iphone to laptop. I also connect to my android 2.2 and 3.2 tablets with ad-hoc. So this can be done.
    johnsonx42 i can't belive you have never connected to a ad-hoc network in all your years. It works great with most sites. Still trying with HP touch, work in progress. thanks all
    I wonder if HP will deliver a solution of the functionality in 3.0.5
    Yes we can only hope they will or won't keep going with WebOs, if not come on Win8..
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Just a warning/nitpick.

Quote Originally Posted by alan sh View Post
    Doesn't work with any secured (WEP) access.
    ALan
    WEP isn't secured. It takes about 60 seconds for someone who knows computers and wants on the network to crack it and get in. Anyone who doesn't know computers and wants in will have to spend a small amount of time on google reading the many tutorials on it and downloading tools first, so it might take them a whole hour. Use WPA2 with a long password if you want to be secured folks.
    Last edited by LurkerX; 11/16/2011 at 11:51 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast