Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks to the developer. Works, (with big caveats) on a Nokia N8 with JoikuSpot Premium.

Notes - I can only access the internet via the browser - and that's it.

No email access and absolutely no in app internet access - so it's of very little use so far.

Has to be 'open' network - no security at all (yikes!)

Still, proves that in theory all limitations should be able to be lifted by some bright, enterprising person. I'd be happy to donate $10 to the first full adhoc app that works with email and apps too.
    Last edited by TouchPadFan; 11/17/2011 at 07:33 AM. Reason: open network added
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    ^^^Agree.
    Browser support will satisfy at least 80% of us; you can always log into email and certain news sites via the browser vs. the native apps.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beemoe View Post
    Yes we can only hope they will or won't keep going with WebOs, if not come on Win8..
    I have been satisfied with WebOS.
    I don't know if I necessarily want to move back to another Windows product, especially knowing how they're going to force their crapware and needless/little used apps products on you.
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Better installation instructions:

For those that found the instructions bit cryptic even after all the explanations from all the good folks, perhaps the version below might be of some help...

1. Delete saved wifi profile (WiFi->WiFi Preferences ->Choose a network ->Forget Network)

2. Launch ad-hoc tethering app in touchpad

3. Use Google DNS settings in the ad-hoc tethering app (SSID: <whatever-name-you-gave-for-your-wifi-hotspot>; Preferred DNS:8.8.8.8; Alternate DNS 8.8.4.4)

4. Start tethering app on phone (in my case MyWi5 in iPhone 4; make sure it's unsecure - i.e. no WEP/WAP/WAP2, you can do this by playing with your advanced WIfI settings)

5. Start Add-Hoc mode on TP through this app
    Anyone got a mirror to the app download? I refuse to register at webOSbuzz, one of the top pirating websites of webOS apps
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Robitaille View Post
    Anyone got a mirror to the app download? I refuse to register at webOSbuzz, one of the top pirating websites of webOS apps
    Now don't go dry snitching. That doesn't play where I'm from, Jason.
    You can take it for what it is or leave it.
    I'm just passing along what I found. If you find it useful, donate to the developer who is offering it for free.

Here is the alt link: Ad Hoc Wifi Enabler For Touchpad
    I have the app on my TP. Sadly, I could not find a way to upload it here (choose file button does not work). I can send it to you via email.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist View Post
    Now don't go dry snitching. That doesn't play where I'm from, Jason.
    You can take it for what it is or leave it.
    I'm just passing along what I found. If you find it useful, donate to the developer who is offering it for free.

Here is the alt link: Ad Hoc Wifi Enabler For Touchpad
    I wasn't trying to "dry snitch", although admittedly, I'm not entirely familiar with the term. I was simply asking for an alternative website; some official homepage if one exists, for the developer itself. As for webOSbuzz itself, I have legitimate cause for complaint, as do most of the other long-time dedicated homebrew and app catalog developers like myself. No personal offense was intended towards your post. Thank you for the alternate download link.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    153 Global Posts
    I wasn't trying to "dry snitch", although admittedly, I'm not entirely familiar with the term. I was simply asking for an alternative website; some official homepage if one exists, for the developer itself. As for webOSbuzz itself, I have legitimate cause for complaint, as do most of the other long-time dedicated homebrew and app catalog developers like myself. No personal offense was intended towards your post. Thank you for the alternate download link.
    Ah, ok.
    The developer doesn't seem to have an official homepage. He's a homebrew guy, much like yourself.

PS - Here's the definition for "Dry Snitching." Urban Dictionary: dry snitching

In short, it's the snitching counter part of what being passive aggressive is to being outwardly aggressive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist View Post
    Ah, ok.
    The developer doesn't seem to have an official homepage. He's a homebrew guy, much like yourself.

PS - Here's the definition for "Dry Snitching." Urban Dictionary: dry snitching

In short, it's the snitching counter part of what being passive aggressive is to being outwardly aggressive.
    Heist, I'm sorry.. but i just don't follow even these basic instructions.. I've spent the best part of 2 months trying to figure out how to connect this TP to my ATT iphone3.. i've come to the conclusion the bluetooth enabled mobile hotspot is useless? and that i need to find a 3rd party tethering app within app store?

I'd appreciate some direction as I'm getting sick from going round and round..

thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    Just a warning/nitpick.

WEP isn't secured. It takes about 60 seconds for someone who knows computers and wants on the network to crack it and get in. Anyone who doesn't know computers and wants in will have to spend a small amount of time on google reading the many tutorials on it and downloading tools first, so it might take them a whole hour. Use WPA2 with a long password if you want to be secured folks.
    Nitpick: WEP is secured, just easy to crack.
    For those with an iPhone:

Jailbreak your phone (c'mon you haven't already?)

cough up the huge amount of money for the mywi app in cydia. ($20)

Tether to your touchpad. Works perfectly, no software required on the touchpad.

I have never found anything including my touchpad that won't tether with mywi. Best tethering app available on the iphone.
    Google have fallen out of favor as of late, for finally admitting to what many of us have known for a long time.

If you dont want to use their services, here are alternate DNS servers (Open DNS):

PS: if added to your router/gateway, they also serve as a half-decent family-safe web filter.
    Quote Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
    Google have fallen out of favor as of late, for finally admitting to what many of us have known for a long time.

If you dont want to use their services, here are alternate DNS servers (Open DNS):

PS: if added to your router/gateway, they also serve as a half-decent family-safe web filter.
    Strangely the '0' isn't inputable into the Preferred nor Alternate DNS field.
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    For those with issues that aren't solved by this solution (i.e. you need/want to connect to a WEP-encrypted network OR you want to be able to easily change the SSID of the network you want to connect to OR you don't want to use Google's DNS servers), I've found an alternative which I've documented here: Alternative Solution for Connecting to Ad Hoc WiFi
    Last edited by techSage; 04/27/2012 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Removed quote
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12