1.    #1  
    HELP! I ordered a touchpad while i was stationed at a decent sized base in afghanistan that had wifi access. But i have been sent to a smaller base with no wifi and my touchpad will be sent to me here eventually. I realise i will not be able to use any functions requiring internet connection, but i am wondering can i use it for music and movies without setting it up online first?
    Basically are the offline features available without first setting touchpad up online?
    Thanks
    Last edited by jeremyayto; 11/11/2011 at 05:40 AM.
    I think you can use the Activation Bypass Tool to get it functioning.

https://developer.palm.com/content/r...ed_device.html

But otherwise I don't think you can use it at all.

Have a safe tour.
    no wifi, no music or vids.....now, if you can get to another computer and do the USB hookup, then you can download content to view later...

u will get bored soon though, there is only so much the sucker can hold, reruns will dominate...

laterzzzzzz.....
  4.    #4  
    ok, so what you are saying is that i can load media via usb and watch/listen to it. Correct?
    Yes that's right. You should download a copy of webOS Doctor from here
    WebOS Doctor Versions - WebOS Internals
    and update it through your PC when you get it so that more types of video and audio formats are supported. Follow the instructions here How To Recover - WebOS Internals for how to use the Doctor.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyayto View Post
    ok, so what you are saying is that i can load media via usb and watch/listen to it. Correct?
    That is correct. Just plug it in, select USB drive and copy it over. The Touchpad will automatically find it and index it for you. Provided you use compatible file formats that is.
    I don't know if this would work but if someone has a laptop maybe he could setup an adhoc WiFi network. Can the TP be connected to an adhoc network? (since freetether supposedly does not work)
    Quote Originally Posted by zubiaur View Post
    I don't know if this would work but if someone has a laptop maybe he could setup an adhoc WiFi network. Can the TP be connected to an adhoc network? (since freetether supposedly does not work)
    adhoc no work. Freetether on palm phones woith sprint works fine.
    You can do a via USB with a PC, move media files to the touchpad, install preware and packages, activation bypass apparently (I didn't realize this). Good luck hope you stay safe.
    Global Posts
    913 Global Posts
    If you can get 3G out there, then tether to any Android or WebOS phone?

ALan
    You can put a lot of music on the TP for off-line use and the speakers are very good for a tablet. Video will eat up the space on your TP pretty fast. I have never tried this - but I think you could fiddle with handbrake and transcode a bunch of videos at relatively low resolution so you could squeeze more videos on to the TP for off-line viewing. The screen is only 10 inches, which means super high-resolution files are basically a waste of space anyway. I don't know how low you could go before it starts to get annoying for you, but certainly DVD level resolution is perfectly good for watching on the TP and you could probably go lower than that. There is a lot information about how to transcode to the right formats for TP elsewhere on this site, and there is some software you can get (not free) which will give you the ability to play other formats beyond the ones supported by the TP. While you are waiting for your TP, read up on it here. Last piece of advice - while you are in country I would put a piece of duct tape along the long edge of the TP where the speakers are and then cut out the speaker holes with a razor blade. The TP is somewhat fragile around the speaker holes, and if you are in a rough environment, a little tape to strengthen and protect that area is probably a good idea. It doesn't have to look good while you are over there, just peel it off when you get back stateside. Holding it with the speakers pointing up in landscape when you can also helps to protect it around the speakers (you will understand when you start playing with it what I mean).

Stay safe man, and thanks for your service.
    Thank you for your service.
  13.    #13  
    Thanks everyone for the advice, i was worried at the start that it would just become a paperweight for the rest of the tour. I appreciate your help and the kind wishes.

Jeremy
    if you do get to use the Internet at some point Download the snes emulator. Then download some roms to a laptop in .zip format and save them to your tp. The emulator app should make a snes/roms file for you, paste them in there.

I downloaded old school rpgs , like earthbound, Zelda, krono trigger. No need for WiFi to use emulator, hours of games.
    Dark Helmet: So, Lone Star, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.''`-Space Balls

What doesn't kill you now, is probably a cyborg sent from the future to protect you.