Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By cobrakon
  1.    #1  
    Some background: I work as a Senior Systems Analyst at a worldwide fortune 500 company that is 2nd in our industry. I support 2400+ users and 830+ servers running Windows 2k3. In addition I support several out of box apps and several custom built apps.

I regularly use a Latitude D630 running XP and have all the usual tools at the ready. LANDesk Management Console, Term Services Manager, Office 2k7, SQL manager 2k5, etc.

So on Monday, due to many activities on the weekend, I forgot to put my laptop back in the trunk. I realized this after arriving at work. We currently do not have any spare machines so I couldn't commandeer one. I *did* have the TouchPad...

My Day...

-Followed up on emails in the early morning, moving between my standard folders with no issues in the touchpad app.

-Got a calendar notification for a 9:30 meeting. Checked the invitees and emailed a document (previously saved from another email) needed for the meeting to them.

-Had an support issue with one of the servers. RDP'd into the box and resolved the issue (database load issue).

-Sent a few more emails and worked on some SharePoint admin issues.

-Lunch. Used the USA Today app to bring up some articles to chat about.

-Finishing lunch, was reminded about a discussion needed on a business reporting app. Created a meeting for Tuesday and invite the required members.

-Notification to another meeting. This time I logged into our vendors online ticket system to review and discuss some of the user issues being reported. Printed a few copies for the attendees.

-Had a few more system issues reported and used the Remote desktop app flawlessly again to jump and and resolve the issues.

-Connected to one of our App servers and pushed down a software deployment to a lab that we are testing on. Again, flawless RDP performance.

-Updated a few documents, sent some more emails and I was done for the day.

So it was a COMPLETE SUCCESS and aside from some files that I needed to reference that weren't on the file server, I didn't even miss my laptop at all. My manager and one of the directors that came by my desk were very impressed that I was able to "work" using just the TouchPad. Make no mistake, I support mission critical systems for my company and the TouchPad was up to the task. This IS a serious device for business.
    very nice
    A fortune 500 company so high up in the value chain and ranking, supported emails over a non-secure channel that you could fire it up so quickly on the touchpad? same with calendar? especially when "mission critical" stuff is under consideration?

If above things were done using some app on the touchpad that gave you remote desktop access into your PC or the server console as you mention, I believe what you're saying totally, and it's cool knowing where you're coming from, but that does not necessarily mean you "utilized" the touchpad to do these things. You really worked on your company's server 'through' the touchpad, unless I am missing something. Sure, your touchpad did "replace" your laptop's remote desktop function with that app in some way, if that's the whole scope of your example. Other things such as USA today are fair statements. Very good.

Sorry, I am being critical because we want to hear more from you, please don't take this personally, I love the touchpad and would LOVE to take this to work.

I also work for a fortune 500 and no other devices other than the company's tagged ones are even allowed to access the wifi signals in the office. Right there, is a violation of policy.
    Last edited by billionaiire; 11/09/2011 at 10:33 PM.
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    @cobrakon: did you do all the typing with the touch keyboard or did you connect with HP's bluetooth keyboard?
    Preł (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Global Posts
    490 Global Posts
    My job is like yours. What RDP app?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    775 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zoomy942 View Post
    My job is like yours. What RDP app?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    I believe that currently the only functioning RDP application is the one listed in the HP App Catalog ($.99 I believe).
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Palm III -> Palm V -> Viewsonic Pocket PC V36 -> Treo 650 -> Samsung i760 ->
    Palm Pre Plus -> Palm Pre 2 > Samsung Galaxy Nexus & HP TouchPad

Android 4.1 - Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    CM9 Alpha 2 Official Nightly w/WebCM9 0.4 - HP TouchPad

Twitter: @noseph47
    Outlook Web App (OWA)?
    Impressive! Now if you could expand on the apps you used to accomplish each of your tasks would be good. Thanks!
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    This IS a serious device for business.
    Depends on your business, one of my daily tasks is annotating PDFs - unless someone had developed an app since the last time I checked, there is no software to support this use case.*

* Does Picsal office do this? If they don't anyone know if any other company or one-man band is developing an app?
    Quote Originally Posted by texasflood View Post
    Outlook Web App (OWA)?
    I don't know about you, but I can't get OWA to work in my TouchPad's browser

At least the TouchPad can sync with Exchange, but I needed an older email at a meeting last night and couldn't access it because the Web App didn't work...
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    So it was a COMPLETE SUCCESS and aside from some files that I needed to reference that weren't on the file server, I didn't even miss my laptop at all. My manager and one of the directors that came by my desk were very impressed that I was able to "work" using just the TouchPad. Make no mistake, I support mission critical systems for my company and the TouchPad was up to the task. This IS a serious device for business.
    Nice to hear some very positive things about what the TP can do. Thanks for sharing.