Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    I seem to behaving some touchscreen inconsistencies on my TP. It seems that near the bottom in portrait mode (with the main button at the bottom)it inconsistently picks up my touches. In that mode its more the space bar. In landscape mode with the botton on the right the backspace button is a bit flakey. That leads me to believe that it is local to that section of the screen and potentially a hardware issue. I've already reset the TP for other reasons with the doctor and tried the various sensitivity preware patches. Fact is sensitivity on the rest of the screen is pretty solid. What's weird is that sometimes it works fine.

anyone experience something similar?If so...did you end up sending it back under warranty? I'd hate to do that if I didn't have ti because its brand new and I don't really want a referb.

thanks for reading!
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    bump
    I've had the exact same Issue with the unit I'm currently using from an Advance Exchange. The right side of the touchpad in landscape mode sometimes won't register light taps, or the icon that brings up with the app tabs will become unresponsive after a few taps. I didn't have this issue on the previous unit, so I can't help but think it's due to wherever the screen was sourced from. However, I have noticed that sometimes it will register more consistently on the bottom right than other times. It gets annoying sometimes, but I'm learning to deal with it. But then again, sometimes it seems to be more consistent than others, so I'm really at a loss.

btw, if you can live with it, you may want to skip the refurbs. They're not like apple quality refurbished units, rather inconsistently slopped together frankenpads. I'm on my third refurb unit as the first one didn't turn on and the last one already had a cracked case and popping out speakers. The one I currently have looks like the plastic bezel was picked at with a fork.
    Last edited by Infinite Jest; 11/14/2011 at 11:08 AM.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    I had this issue before. As a matter of fact, I sent my older TP for replacement just because of the inconsistent touch issues. However, when I received the refurb advanced replacement, it also had problems.

When I was about to send the older one to UPS, 3.0.4 came out and I decided to just install the update for both before I send it. One got fixed (older one) and the replacement did not get fixed.

Little did I know that the reason it happened was because of the touchscreen protector. The skinomi clear skin was the main reason of the problem. I just removed the screen protector on the replacement TP and It both worked. I still decided to keep the replacement TP (even though it was refurb - but looks new) because my older one had light bleeds.

If you have a screen protector attached, I suggest removing it first and see if it makes any difference. If it did not, I suggest calling HP and ask for an advanced replacement, make sure the wave the service fee. If you send it for repair, there is a possibility that it will not get fixed because it is inconsistent. Advanced exchange is strongly suggested IMO.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Thanks for the input guys! Keep you up to date on what i find.

@Infinite Jest- yeah i was worried about a crappy referb which is why i wanted to see if anyone resolved the issue themselves. Mine appears to be intermittent. sometimes its fine and other times its not. I'm going to try to pick up the pattern.

@keplenk- I do have a protector but i don't see how every other inch of the screen is responsive except for that one spot. I believe it also did it before but i don't recall. last resort i'll peel it and see.

@JAD914- I use a matte protector to cut down on glare as well as reduce the ridiculous fingerprints that glossy screens promote. Either I am the greasiest dude on the east coast or that glass is like a fingerprint amplifier.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD914 View Post
    I don't see the need for a screen protector on a Touchpad since the its made out of Gorilla Glass.
    gorilla glass is great and all, but it soaks up finger prints like no tomorrow.. same as cheapo shields... the xtremeguard's (great value) off ebay as well as others of similar quality brand name guards at bestbuy, walmart etc (that cost a fortune) are military grade shields, and are basically invisible but don't show prints nearly as bad and wipe off way easier. They do provided added protection against skids on pavement etc that would normally mess up the glass. Good investment for ~10
    I've also experienced this issue from day 1.

I've had Zagg shield in the beginning but peeled it off due to the orange peel effect and less than smooth swipe feel.

Then I got a clear protector from Amazon so I've never used my TP without a protector.

I'm not so sure if the inconsistent touch sensitivity is due to screen protector. If it was, it should be there all the time? In my case, my keyboard is hit or miss. Some keys take multiple hits to register but not always. Some days it's fine. Not sure if I'm willing to peel off my protector just to see if it's the cause.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quickstreek View Post
    Thanks for the input guys! Keep you up to date on what i find.

@Infinite Jest- yeah i was worried about a crappy referb which is why i wanted to see if anyone resolved the issue themselves. Mine appears to be intermittent. sometimes its fine and other times its not. I'm going to try to pick up the pattern.

@keplenk- I do have a protector but i don't see how every other inch of the screen is responsive except for that one spot. I believe it also did it before but i don't recall. last resort i'll peel it and see.

@JAD914- I use a matte protector to cut down on glare as well as reduce the ridiculous fingerprints that glossy screens promote. Either I am the greasiest dude on the east coast or that glass is like a fingerprint amplifier.
    I had the exact same thoughts as you when I had the problem. I remembered refusing to believe that it was the screen protector that was having the issue because some parts of the screen are responsive but some are not. I actually don't know how to answer that but in my case, it was the screen protector.

Oh, I just forgot to mention that in 3.0.2, even without the screen protector, I was having some issues with touch sensitivity.

I'm just guessing that the issue I was having is a combination of Software and Hardware (screen protector) issues.

To sum it up, I fixed mine before with 3.0.4 update + removed screen protector.

I suggest removing the skin protector, re-doctor, install sensitivity patches and test again before calling for replacement.

Let us know what happened
    I had a screen protector on a previous unit and it definitely hurt the sensitivity (I've seen others talk about this too). For $150, I've decided it's worth going naked, as I use the custom fit thing when it leaves my house anyway. I did notice that I can really see the digitizer grid on my current unit; while I could see the dots in all of the other units, I can actually see the diamond grid in most light conditions on mine. I'm fairly certain HP had thrown caution to the wind since pulling the plug on the TP. As I said, frankenpads. Regardless, I can live with the intermittent issues.