Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jason Robitaille
  1.    #1  
    I recently used WebOS Quick Install to load some additional fonts on my HP Touchpad (running version 3.x). However, I made a typo, and accidently created a new folder called "/usr/share/font" with the new fonts (the system folder is called "fonts" - plural).

I tried using WebOS to remove the files, but no luck. I checked around the forums and my machine, and it appears I do have the option of erasing my whole hard drive if I have to ... but I don't want to do that unless I have no other choice.

Is there a way to delete the file I accidently created without completely erasing my whole drive?
    if you have terminal/command line access(novaterm, a terminal app, maybe even Webos Quick Install) you can just do a linux command to remove (rm) then add a new folder(mkdir). or you could just move the folder by using mv /usr/share/font /usr/share/fonts

you solve your problem and learn a little linux in the proccess.

you might even beable to use Internals Pro in Master mode to delete the files, but be carefull not to delete the wrong files.
    Rocking out Franken Pre2 2.2.4 and TP 3.0.5

Published TP Apps:
    Anagramarama HD
    Published Phone Apps
    Anagramarama
    DDII Free
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
    if you have terminal/command line access(novaterm, a terminal app, maybe even Webos Quick Install) you can just do a linux command to remove (rm) then add a new folder(mkdir). or you could just move the folder by using mv /usr/share/font /usr/share/fonts

you solve your problem and learn a little linux in the proccess.

you might even beable to use Internals Pro in Master mode to delete the files, but be carefull not to delete the wrong files.
    Thanks ... I know little about Linux, but I do know that Novaterm was installed when I installed the WebOS Quick Install software. How do I turn on Novaterm without the WebOS QI software?
    Last edited by rvalentine32; 11/09/2011 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Updated message
  4.    #4  
    Ok, I was able to login using Novaterm. I also looked up some basic user instructions for removing files. However, the HP Touchpad is refusing to delete the files. Here's what I got when I tried:

root@RichsHPTouchPad:/usr/share/font#
    root@RichsHPTouchPad:/usr/share/font# rm CALIBRI.TTF
    rm CALIBRI.TTF
    rm: remove 'CALIBRI.TTF'? y
    y

root@RichsHPTouchPad:/usr/share/font#
    root@RichsHPTouchPad:/usr/share/font# ls /usr/share/font
    ls /usr/share/font
    CALIBRI.TTF Ubuntu-C.ttf
    So for whatever reason, even though I used the RM command, the file stayed. Am I missing something?
    hmmm that is kind of strange you could try rm -f CALIBRI.TTF

do you need the folder? you could always try and delete the whole thing with rm -r /usr/share/font you could also try moving the folder or file to a different name and deleting it that way. you have root access through novaterm so you should have access to pretty much everything.

I dont see any reason why you would not be able to remove a file. I just did a test on my TP and had no issues.

do "ls -la" in the fonts directory, see what that returns about the files.

Published TP Apps:
    Anagramarama HD
    Published Phone Apps
    Anagramarama
    DDII Free
    Internalz Pro with master mode enabled is probably the easiest way to do it, as Internalz Pro automatically handles remounting, etc,
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    johnjaycee likes this.
    psh easy, where is the fun in that!

....but Jason is right using Internals Pro is probably the easiest way.

Published TP Apps:
    Anagramarama HD
    Published Phone Apps
    Anagramarama
    DDII Free
  8.    #8  
    Well, I didn't want to wimp out, so I tried the linux command first. Unfortunately, the command console when using rm -r didn't work for removing the folder.

So I became adventuresome, and installed Internalz Pro (which was easy, since I had WebOS Quick Install on my machine). I went in master mode, and it deleted the file just fine.

I'm really new to the whole HP TouchPad thing, and really wasn't looking to install an outside solution ... but hey, it worked.

Next thing I'm going to try is install a new font on my machine. My original goal was to install all the TTF fonts that are part of Google Docs, so I could see what the images really looked like ... and I will be careful to make sure they're going in the right folder.

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.