Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    There is some type of problem with my husbands's TP battery. We both have one and I can go 2 to 3 days with mine using it 2 hours per night. On his if it is not on the charger the battery drains within 8 hours even with no use! It is turned on but no apps have been used.

Do I just call HP and explain or what?
    call the HP support number and explain the problem. If they decide it needs a repair they will ship you an empty box to pack up your TP to send it back to them. I just did this with a TP that had a totally dead battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by mantzak View Post
    There is some type of problem with my husbands's TP battery. We both have one and I can go 2 to 3 days with mine using it 2 hours per night. On his if it is not on the charger the battery drains within 8 hours even with no use! It is turned on but no apps have been used.

the more radio's you have on the faster it dies.. kill the bluetooth on his and uptime will increase. Also check if he has some apps running in the background that you don't, this also has an impact on run time..

just a thought before you go through the process.
    Call the HP Support Number and GET A CASE NUMBER. You can use this to track the TP inside HP and when they ship it out again or lose it.

Also, be wary; the person on the phone may try to convince you to "use Express Exchange", which is a $50 overnight expense. If they ask for a credit card, then you know that they are going to ship a refurb to you and are using the card as a 'deposit', whether or not you agree to the "Express" part of the deal.

Opt for the regular ground shipping; there is no added expense. Use the Express only if you are desperate to get it back.

Also, because of some recent incidents we've had with mail-ins (and we're an authorized repair center for non-mail-ins), take a picture of your TP on both sides before packing, and a picture of the sealed box. It may come back with CheezWhiz or cracker crumbs on it, but if it is cracked or scratched, use the case number and start screaming.

The person on the phone should be able to tell you if you are getting a CSO number and a line to the website for tracking it (should be XXX123 format and the site is http://www.hp.com/go/csostatus).

If it's a longer 10-digit number, you'll have to call for status, or try and brave http://www.itrc.hp.com for a real support experience.
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    You need to call HP and they will give you two options:

1) The will send you a box (like 1fasttp said) and you put your defective touchpad and send it to them. They will try to fix your touchpad and they will return it to you fixed. Or if they can't fix it, they will send you a refurb replacement.

2) Advance Exchange replacement: They will send you a refurb touchpad a head of time and you will use that same box to send you defective TP back. However, by this option, they will ask for a fee of $59, AFAIR. DEMAND that the service fee be waived. Ask for a manager if need be. Don't let them make you pay for the service fee. I'm sure they will agree, but they will say that its only a one time thing. Also, they will put a hold on your debit/credit card of $350 temporarily.

I suggest using an advanced exchange because it is technically faster. Although mine took 2 weeks but it was worth the wait. The device a received, even though it is marked as refurb, looks very very new. I strongly believe it is actually new.

Call them now so they can send you a tp right away.
    I wouldn't be afraid of a referb, many seem to be, but referbs are units that had an issue and were repaired and brought to "NEW" condition.. these units have been typically tested better than new ones and often get a new screen and housing anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by mantzak View Post

I am assuming you have determined that he doesn't have some app(s) running that you don't that are drawing lots of power? Try govnah or battery monitor to check the draw and compare the two.
    PDA Lineage: Palm Pilot, Palm V, Palm Tungsten, Treo 650 (Cingular), Treo 750 (AT&T), Treo Pro GSM (unlocked), Pre Plus (AT&T), Pre 2 GSM (unlocked), Pre 3 16GB (AT&T Branded) and Touchpad 32 GB
    Use this link to check the status of a repair:
    https://support.palm.com/eservice_en...Check+SRO+Load
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the advice. I will call tomorrow.