Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By LurkerX
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    So I have been playing with my TPad a few weeks now and I have a few problems, not the least of which is the lack of typing navigation keys, but that is another story.

1: When I first started up the TPad I somehow got into a setting screen that allowed me to set certain Email things, such as frequency of checking, etc. Damned if I can find that setting screen again. Please, where is it?

2: I noticed lately when typing in 1 orientation (camera to the left - landscape) my "S" key has become randomly insensitive and usually needs a heavy hit or a hit on the key edge to type. In the other 3 orientations, it is normal. Is that an indication of a screen malfunction brewing?

3: Can the TPad read a USB key? I bought a USB F-F gender changer ($5.00) and plugged in my USB flash-drive. Nothing happened.

4: I bought a capacitive pen to better place the cursor (ham fingers) when editing text mainly. But the screen seems inconsistent in recognizing it. Sometimes a very light touch registers, more often a hard press 2 or 3 times is needed. Any idea why?

5: How can I select a large chunk of text mainly to delete or move? Ya cant tap and drag the cursor, it only scrolls or zooms.

6: In the Email app, how do I select a bunch of emails to delete rather than individually delete the junk?

7: I had a problem a while back with my wifes' email password that was solved only by deleting her account and setting up a new one. But now I have this nagging Icon at screentop to check her old account. But I can"t. It ain't there no more. How do I get rid of that Icon?

I have more, but let's get these 7 cleared first.

Thanks in advance.......
    jgb (Tpad)
    Palm Treo 680, HP Touchpad
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    1. Open the email app. Swipe down from the upper left corner and go into 'Preferences & Accounts'\

3. Short answer: No. Long answer: Go read a long thread http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...-touchpad.html

4. It's a know problem when using ham fingers as a capacitive pen. Try chicken fingers instead.

5. Tap on a word and hold it. Select. See it highlighted in yellow? See the two little icons on the top left and lower right? Grab one of the icons and drag it to select the large bunch of text. Then tap on the large amount of yellowed text. See the 'Cut/Copy' bubble? Tap on Cut. Tap on the place where you want the text to go to move the cursor there and hold it. Tap on the Paste bubble.

7. See #1
    Last edited by LurkerX; 11/08/2011 at 11:27 PM.
    jgbtpad likes this.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    You skipped number 2, which is a problem that I am also noticing. More often in the Messaging app though.
    Quote Originally Posted by darkcurse View Post
    You skipped number 2, which is a problem that I am also noticing. More often in the Messaging app though.
    Not that this is a fix, but tilt your tp in a different angle and it will work normal again.. this was broken in 3.04, with any luck it will be fixed in a future build. I was kinda hoping we would have seen a small update by now teaking the things 3.04 made worse, maybe soon.
    also to add to #5 - short cut keys work for cut (shift-x) just don't paste it unless you want to move it (use above mothod to highlight needed word(s).
    Last edited by stumblinh; 11/09/2011 at 07:54 AM.
    Best you can do to delete multiple emails at once is to tap the folder at the bottom, then select all the emails you want to delete, then hit the trashcan. This also works to move a bunch of emails to a different folder, but obviously, you don't hit the trash can. Unfortunately, there is no 'Shift-click' like Windows to select everything between emails A and Z for deletion.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgbtpad View Post

3: Can the TPad read a USB key? I bought a USB F-F gender changer ($5.00) and plugged in my USB flash-drive. Nothing happened.
    Don't be daunted by the length of the thread referenced. Start reading at Page 14 and read forward until you find the solution which suits you.

I am working on a single unit to achieve this function. I will post details once I have it working reliably.
    Re 1). '..1. Open the email app. Swipe down from the upper left corner and go into 'Preferences & Accounts'\..'

And once there, Tap on 'Accounts' etc. (There is no ^ indicating any further 'options' there!).

Re. 'frequency of checking'.. you can also scroll past '24 hrs' and hit 'Manual' if you choose! YES - that's better!

Last edited by Mutoidi; 11/09/2011 at 12:58 PM.
    ''..5. Tap on a word and hold it. Select. See it highlighted in yellow? See the two little icons on the top left and lower right? Grab one of the icons and drag it to select the large bunch of text. Then tap on the large amount of yellowed text. See the 'Cut/Copy' bubble? Tap on Cut. Tap on the place where you want the text to go to move the cursor there and hold it. Tap on the Paste bubble..''

But will it 'scroll' the page whilst highlighting EVEN larger amounts of text.. like more than a 'screens-worth'? Or do you then have to scroll manually.. screenfull by screenfull?

Long Lists Need ScrollBars!

Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    Sorry for the delay In getting back here. I got busy.
    Thanks for the help.
    Pretty much all solved, except for the "S" key. I noticed it does not happen with a cap S just lower case s. And now other keys seem a bit slow to respond as sell.
    Getting the USB port to read a flashdrive is a bit too complex to try now, so L8R.
    My WIFI seemed to stop working so I did a reset, and while it didn't fix the WIFI it cleared that spurious account message. WIFI problem was password related and the weird way the Tpad tells you. It doesn't.

Again, thanks.
    jgb (Tpad)
    Palm Treo 680, HP Touchpad