Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
  1.    #1  
    BIG UPDATE:

Just installed Grooveshark 1.3.7 - It solved EVERYTHING, I mean, for the most part. Playlists restored, continuous playback actually continuously plays (most of the time), even works more often than not in minimized mode. All in all, a vast improvement, it's pretty well restored to the last working version, but added full-screen mode.

Thanks, Grooveshark.

Soooooo, taking a page from HP's 3.0.4 release, Grooveshark has issued their latest buggy abomination:

GROOVESHARK 1.3.6

THE GOOD:
    - They added fullscreen capability for the Touchpad

...aaaand that's it, because the software is completely unusable, now

THE BAD:
    - Won't recognize existing playlists
    - Can't create new playlists
    - Can't save
    - Hangs after playing 2 songs

I've removed, reinstalled, rebooted in a variety of orders, but it's the same story every time. They apparently decided not to test the app before releasing it.

ON TOP OF IT ALL:
    When combined with this godforsaken random audio bug (3.0.4 is still wrecking my world), often what music I do listen to on GS sounds like I'm just barely out of range of an old FM radio signal. Apparently, I'm going to have to do a full shut down to fix the audio bug problem.

So, here's me:
    I pay for a subscription to GS, I paid for my TP, I buy apps at the app store trying to "support webOS," why do I keep suffering with slipshod TP apps like Picsel, QuickOffice, GrooveShark, Kindle, and presumably untested updates to the OS itself? It's like HP doesn't <staff edit>:, so the vendors take that as a cue and follow suit.
    Last edited by mrhargett; 11/14/2011 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Update
    I use grooveshark on the web all the time, it is fantastic. It works for tablets that support flash, it does not work for the Ipad.
    Use your grooveshark app for the phone, web for the tablet. Or don't renew/ cancel your subscription
    davidtoby likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I use grooveshark on the web all the time, it is fantastic. It works for tablets that support flash, it does not work for the Ipad.
    Use your grooveshark app for the phone, web for the tablet. Or don't renew/ cancel your subscription
    Your post has been delightfully helpful. You just explained that Grooveshark works on NOT the TouchPad. I appreciate your efforts. I regret that I can only "thank" and "like" your reply one time.

You're absolutely right. I shouldn't expect quality in what I pay for, be it hardware, software or services. I should either just accept whatever level of usability I get out of the products or go live without, but I should NEVER, EVER make my grievances public, in an effort to raise awareness.

The problem is, I don't WANT to use Grooveshark "on the web." The app, you see, is SUPPOSED to let the screen go off while my music continues to stream without interruption. I can't USE Grooveshark on the PC at my office because the encrypted network my PC is on is (with good reason) restricted to business purposes, but my company does allow me to use GS through the public WIFI offered, using my personal Touchpad. But in order for the web version of GS to keep playing, the screen has to stay on, and that drains the battery super-fast. <staff edit>
    Last edited by sledge007; 11/08/2011 at 12:05 PM. Reason: language
    Quote Originally Posted by mrhargett View Post
    Your post has been delightfully helpful. You just explained that Grooveshark works on NOT the TouchPad. I appreciate your efforts. I regret that I can only "thank" and "like" your reply one time.

You're absolutely right. I shouldn't expect quality in what I pay for, be it hardware, software or services. I should either just accept whatever level of usability I get out of the products or go live without, but I should NEVER, EVER make my grievances public, in an effort to raise awareness.

The problem is, I don't WANT to use Grooveshark "on the web." The app, you see, is SUPPOSED to let the screen go off while my music continues to stream without interruption. I can't USE Grooveshark on the PC at my office because the encrypted network my PC is on is (with good reason) restricted to business purposes, but my company does allow me to use GS through the public WIFI offered, using my personal Touchpad. But in order for the web version of GS to keep playing, the screen has to stay on, and that drains the battery super-fast. <staff edit>
    So much drama, take it down a notch.
    Turn the screen brightness down, install the patch that gives more time options for turning off the TouchPad. I've used it for months without huge battery drain.
    edit: using the kindle's screen brightness all the way down turns the TouchPad to almost black.
    Last edited by sledge007; 11/08/2011 at 03:48 PM.
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Why not complain to Grooveshark? It's their app. None of us here can fix the app for you. I understand that people come here to complain, but a legit response like you got from bluenote doesn't deserve this. Sheesh.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Actually, your efforts would be best routed to asking grooveshark why they insist on continuining to upload unlicensed content; provide a faulty (at best) mechanism for DCMA compliance; and for those (few) artists they actually have licenses for; where is the royalty accounting?

There have been a lot of shady internet music streaming services before; these guys are the worst.
    This space for rent or lease. Inquire within.
    dignitary likes this.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I agree with the OP. This update really really stinks. I'd rather have the non "HD" version if this is what we're going to expect from the developer. I've already written to grooveshark, but to put out an update like this, it's just bad form.
    mrhargett likes this.
    Youtube screws up GS for me. If audio plays from the web the app doesn't work. Time runs but sound is mute. That is until I play audio from the browser ie youtube while also playing the grooveshark app. Having said that, grooveshark in the browser works great and fits perfectly on the TP. I'm still on a $30 per yer sub so I can't complain.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    So much drama, take it down a notch.
    Turn the screen brightness down, install the patch that gives more time options for turning off the TouchPad. I've used it for months without huge battery drain.
    edit: using the kindle's screen brightness all the way down turns the TouchPad to almost black.
    Tried the "turn down the brightness" thing. Since the adoption of 3.0.4 my TP has, even on lowest brightness setting, drained at a rate of 1% every 2 minutes.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by DallasDig View Post
    Why not complain to Grooveshark? It's their app. None of us here can fix the app for you. I understand that people come here to complain, but a legit response like you got from bluenote doesn't deserve this. Sheesh.
    I've submitted my complaint to GS. I came here to warn others about the update. Some people, by contrast, came to this thread tell me that I shouldn't worry about it, and remind me that I have no right to expect apps to actually function on the TouchPad, you know, apps associated with services I pay to use.

Moreover, should I even expect apps that I've paid a large sum (in app prices) to use, like Picsel SmartOffice to work? Eh, perhaps not. I've sunk a pretty penny into my TicklePlank, between accessories (official ones), apps, and the cash shelled out at the start. If the denouement is that 3 months in I can count only on the app and system updates serving to make the device worse rather than better, I just need to know so I can sever it from HP's umbilicus, rather than let it get poisoned by software "improvements."
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by MudShark22 View Post
    Actually, your efforts would be best routed to asking grooveshark why they insist on continuining to upload unlicensed content; provide a faulty (at best) mechanism for DCMA compliance; and for those (few) artists they actually have licenses for; where is the royalty accounting?

There have been a lot of shady internet music streaming services before; these guys are the worst.
    Hey, I pay for the service in good faith that I'm receiving legitimate and cleared music. I'd pay for a different service, but they don't function on the ToePunisher, and don't offer apps to that end. I used to pay for Napster subscription service, but quit when I switched to Linux and I couldn't load my music any longer.
    Global Posts
    544 Global Posts
    Hey, I pay for the service in good faith that I'm receiving legitimate and cleared music. I'd pay for a different service, but they don't function on the ToePunisher, and don't offer apps to that end. I used to pay for Napster subscription service, but quit when I switched to Linux and I couldn't load my music any longer.
    there is a spotify app for webos that works a lot better than the grooveshark app and can also be patched to touchpad size.

I understand your frustrations but what do you expect, webos is a dying platform. Why would any developer waste their time updating apps? I have a TP and a Pre and I know I won't see any updates to most of the apps I use. If it starts to annoy me enough I will know it's time to move on from webos.

I use the spotify app everyday and it has bugs but I can live with it on a 150 tablet.
    Well at least they're updating the app. I'm sure if you contact them they'll get a fix out soon enough. On the bright side, they haven't abandoned webOS.

Plus, as others have mentioned, the web version works fine.

P.S. If you subscribe to at least one playlist, you should be able to see all of your playlists.
    Last edited by rsanchez1; 11/08/2011 at 03:31 PM.
    Vistaus likes this.
    Tried the "turn down the brightness" thing. Since the adoption of 3.0.4 my TP has, even on lowest brightness setting, drained at a rate of 1% every 2 minutes.
    Mine drains at about 10% an hour with my usage. But if I have grooveshark on and the volume up past 2 or 3 or the brightness on, it will drain faster. I also have the linux app that sets volume to the highest level.
    not tryin to be an ***** but you can plug it in? I use the GS site on my TP without charging during my library marathons, everyday. 5+ hours and I still end up with decent battery. Low screen brightness and such, works great
    I'm still trying to understand the audio 'bug' a few have described.. I wonder if it's non OS related as I have zero sound issues, I play music, stream radio, watch TV programs, youtube and even play a few games and not a single issue. **I will note I never used any of the homebrew volume hacks that seem to be tied w/ many that had/have this issue.

At least for me the only real issue I've had has been w/ the screen sensitivity in some areas depending on orientation and the accelerometer being odd. These issues started w/ 3.04. These two issues are apparent in all apps, at least for me. Often just tipping the TP at a different angle is enough to get the sensitivity working again so I assume really it must all be tied back to the broken accelerometer.
    Last edited by stumblinh; 11/09/2011 at 08:35 AM.
    Global Posts
    729 Global Posts
    They are aware of the problem and have emailed me two beta fixes in the last 24 hours. Stand by... I have no connection to the company (as we say on my antique car lists, NFI - no financial interest), but I am a Grooveshark addict and I know a fix is forthcoming.
    Jim Altman
    Palm III ->Treos 600->650->750->Pro->Pre Plus->Pre 2->Pre3+TouchPad
    I don't see any problems such as that. I do, however, see that their music player forces Portrait mode, which immediately makes it a completely useless program in my book.

I don't know if I was onto anything or not, but yesterday, I had experienced the "fuzzy sound" problem for exactly the second time since 3.0.4 came out, and I reached over to grab my USB cable to connect the TouchPad to the computer, to see if I could find anything in any system logs or whatever .. and the problem went away.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Since you're in contact, can you let them know that the latest updated version for the Pre2 has shifted the bottom menu such that it's cut off when you hold the phone in portrait mode. Any help you can provide to notify them of this issue would be greatly appreciated!!

Quote Originally Posted by jaltman View Post
    They are aware of the problem and have emailed me two beta fixes in the last 24 hours. Stand by... I have no connection to the company (as we say on my antique car lists, NFI - no financial interest), but I am a Grooveshark addict and I know a fix is forthcoming.
    I'm testing for them on a Pre3 and they know about the shifted bottom menu issue I also got the impression that they are reading the forum.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast