1.    #1  
    Does muffle system logging patch permanently disable logging? because when i use the ##logs# method th logging turns back on once in a while....Rod or Jason or codecrumb...or anyone else...could u explain this?
    As per the patch description, it turns down logging, 'it only logs errors or worse.'

IDK if the logging turns back on or not, haven't checked it, but I haven't noticed any 'slow downs'.
    I always remember to set logging to minimal using ##5647#
    after I webOS Doctor my Touchpad to 3.04.

After that, how would I know if it's at "minimal" or has returned
    itself to default?

-FS2
    Last edited by friedscones; 11/08/2011 at 06:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by friedscones View Post
    I always remember to set logging to minimal using ##5647#
    after I webOS Doctor my Touchpad to 3.04.

After that, how would I know if it's at "minimal" or has returned
    itself to default?
    do the code again and after change logging levels hit the left tab... it shows u the current levels.
  5.    #5  
    anyone else with suggestions or answers?
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunksaliby View Post
    anyone else with suggestions or answers?
    Each new app you download from the HP app catalogue will have default logging levels, so you will have to go to ##5647# to minimize logging for the new app.

I use both the ##5647# method and the Muffle System Logging.
    Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Rhys View Post
    Each new app you download from the HP app catalogue will have default logging levels, so you will have to go to ##5647# to minimize logging for the new app.

Seriously? That's kind of silly of HP webOS.

Based on all the HP email receipts that I've kept, I average about 1 app purchase
    (only counting the paid ones) every 3.7 days. I have to use ##LOGS# to minimize
    logging every single time?

F5
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Rhys View Post

I know im asking if the muffle system logging patch permanently disables this even though it does change
    Global Posts
    223 Global Posts
    Seriously? That's kind of silly of HP webOS.

Based on all the HP email receipts that I've kept, I average about 1 app purchase
    (only counting the paid ones) every 3.7 days. I have to use ##LOGS# to minimize
    logging every single time?
    You can also just do that after installing a bunch of applications. The performance increase is only noticeable if you use very logging-intensive programs anyhow.

And the policy makes perfect sense :-)
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I keep getting an ipk log error whenever i try to update the muffle system logging patch ever since i updated.
    Me too.
    Quote Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
    I keep getting an ipk log error whenever i try to update the muffle system logging patch ever since i updated.
    1. In Preware, update your 'Saved Package List'
    2. From Preware, run 'Emergency Patch Recovery (EPR)'
    3. Re-install all your patches using the 'Saved Package List'.

This is the only solution that I know off.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
  13.    #13  
    can anyone answer my question? haha
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunksaliby View Post
    can anyone answer my question? haha
    sorry... what was your question? 99% of the threads on the internet usually end
    up discussing issues not related to the original thread title.
  15.    #15  
    sorry... what was your question? 99% of the threads on the internet usually end
    up discussing issues not related to the original thread title.
    Does muffle system logging patch permanently disable logging? because when i use the ##logs# method th logging turns back on once in a while....Rod or Jason or codecrumb...or anyone else...could u explain this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanjay View Post
    1. In Preware, update your 'Saved Package List'
    2. From Preware, run 'Emergency Patch Recovery (EPR)'
    3. Re-install all your patches using the 'Saved Package List'.

This is the only solution that I know off.
    This worked forr me. Thank you very much.
    Is there a code that undoes the ##5647#?
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Awats View Post
    Is there a code that undoes the ##5647#?
    The code just takes you to a dialog where you can set the logging level. So to undo it, you would just enter the code again and make a different selection.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    The Muffle System Logging patch and the ##LOGS# process are two different things and adjust settings on two separate sets of loggin processes. The MSL patch (and other log patches) shut off linux system type logging. ##LOGS# shuts off Application Level logging. The performance boost from ##LOGS# is extremely noticeable because the steps shut off almost all logging from ALL the applications. Note: The benefit is a bit less noticeable since the 3.0x updates have improved performance in other ways. ##LOGS# is not permanent, every time you install a new app or update an previously installed one, the Application log settings go to default for that App. So if you feel the need you can go in there periodically and do it again. However, if one or two (or 10) apps are not set to minimal it isn't going to be noticeable. The noticeable benefit comes from the difference between a large number of them being set as default -vs- minimal. Obviously if you doctor or OTA update, you will need to ##LOGS# again to reset all the Apps back to minimal.

I have it on my "stay up late some night and code" list to write a patch/script that sets ##LOG# levels to minimal on startup with a GUI that will allow quick modification of the autorun setting so you can shut it off if you are having problems and need the Application Logging Levels to stay set at static settings.