Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
Like Tree47Likes
    They should've just released the ******* Touchpad Go. Such a beautiful device. The last argument you need to know that HPs management has no ****ing clue what they are doing.
    maybe they should consider made some device like microsoft surface.
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_53dvndkcrY[/YT]
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlZxuqjJDgk[/YT]

focus on business customer or family's big ipad(?) ,
    microsoft surface is expensive, if hp can cut cost , made it worth for the cheaper version.
    In this new world , no such opponent like android , ios .
    Face the Microsoft , is much easier than others.

And , it looks like much better than build a os for printer
  3.    #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by raynortags View Post
    maybe they should consider made some device like microsoft surface.
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_53dvndkcrY[/YT]
    [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlZxuqjJDgk[/YT]

focus on business customer or family's big ipad(?) ,
    microsoft surface is expensive, if hp can cut cost , made it worth for the cheaper version.
    In this new world , no such opponent like android , ios .
    Face the Microsoft , is much easier than others.

And , it looks like much better than build a os for printer
    Yes, why not that is a good idea. If I can hit with smartphones and tablets why not going like the MS Surface but cheaper targeting business and enterprise customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Yes, why not that is a good idea. If I can hit with smartphones and tablets why not going like the MS Surface but cheaper targeting business and enterprise customers.
    With webos on it that would be one slow, wobbly table.

Might need to stick a Touchpad under one leg to make it stable.
  5.    #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    With webos on it that would be one slow, wobbly table.
    Click to view quoted image

Might need to stick a Touchpad under one leg to make it stable.
    lol

It is impressive how samsung reduced the thickness of the MS surface but $7.000.- (first gen was $14.000)
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    They should've just released the ******* Touchpad Go. Such a beautiful device. The last argument you need to know that HPs management has no ****ing clue what they are doing.
    I think a significant problem here is price point. Aside from the display -size-, the hardware in the Go was flat out better, and some would argue that it has a better design, as well. I truly hate the potrait-centric view of the world that you get with other systems, it's another reason I love webOS. There are -so- -very- -few- apps that force portrait mode, and I love it.

Anyway, before I branched off there, I was saying.. at the TouchPad's pricepoint, it wasn't getting very many takers. There's no hope of it getting very many takers at that pricepoint. And the Go would've had to have been more expensive, even though it were smaller. It just wasn't possible with the pricepoint that HP set. Had they been selling the 32G TouchPads, and maybe an 8G or so Go, for 300 or 350, maybe this would be a different tablet marketplace altgoether than it is today.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  7.    #127  
    One thing has been demostrated at this time. The war is no more about hardware. It is about digital media ecosystem content.

Amazon,Nook, Apple and Google have it. So I insist a joint venture is the best solution for now.

Samsung for the hardware.
    Amazon the Ecosystem
    HP for the software.

And of course if Amazon goes for a non-profit hardware for smartphones. They did already with the kindle fire tablet, why not for the phone.

If HP goes alone with a device like the TouchPad GO a wonderful device indeed . They can´t price it low.

Here is a very interesting post made by BW/gigaom explaining the ecosystems of both KIndle fire and Nook tablet: http://www.businessweek.com/technolo...-11142011.html
    Last edited by akitayo; 11/19/2011 at 12:16 AM.
    and by & large adapts well to webOs
    I think HP should take a lesson from Leica
    there is a market for high end machines
    have entry level webOs devices available made overseas, but produce a line of high end devices manufactured in the US to the highest standards

folks will pay a premium for these, but they would sell
  9.    #129  
    For a limited buyers maybe. The world recesion is not over yet. The consumer is looking for more paying less.
  10.    #130  
    ==============================================================
    this is what i say
    wow, USD 1299 . what a amazing price.

i think webOS is suitable to be this kind of devices OS ....

hehe , i have also advice for a company which interview me , they are making device based on family concept. They also seems not much interest on my suggestion .

Click to view quoted image

my concept is you can draw a line with you finger , then this device's windows will separate to two , it can be use for 2 person(if they want sent a mail , or do something else.)
    this design concept is for some family is not enough device for surf internet, they can easy separate the windows for do their own things.

It's meaningless for tablet , because the screen are small , but this kind of tablet device with a big screen , if it can be separate to 2 window with a single move ,it will be amazing, that's what i think . if you want made it three , just draw 2 lines.

And you can even drawing in this kind of device with a sensor pen . check ticket, events, offers (like other app in iphone/android)[/QUOTE]

I suggest you to contact EXO PC to propose your concept. Would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
    We'll agree to disagree, I can think of 50 ways just off the top of my head for HP to more than make up a couple hundred dollars. Over a 5-7yr typical hardware span make potentially thousands.

HP already has basic hardware in place and in stock (20-22" screens) so it wouldn't take more than 6 mos of coding (maybe less w/ vendor help) to swap from a windows os to webos.. maybe some slight hardware changes, to market in a year. I know any busy family would not just love but pay for a hub that would sync up everyone’s lives putting all info on the main calendar and pushed out to all the linked devices. It's not just a pc (laptop or desktop) in the home that isn't easy enough, the good thing is the PC too can be linked in.

Agreed Apple and Andriod have done well, and Palm even had a chance to do better but couldn’t get their hardware out on time to complete w/ the market. A day late.. or no release; pre, pre2 and the now dead pre3. At this point HP and webos iMO will have to go sideways or backwards into the "phone" market. They imo still have a reasonable chance w/ tablets but it would help if they were really tied tight and had great synergy w/ the hub. If the hub was done right it would change everything iMO and could be out to market before anyone else’s.. Apples hold on most is simply iTunes (a virus in itself) so as long as people have access to media and a reasonable amount of apps you can have success so it has to be part of the plan. Going w/ the hub approach you get into homes then people stay brand loyal because of the great experience they are having (page from apples book). The hub doesn't need nearly as many apps at launch as long as it does what it is supposed to do and does it REALLY well. PS easy to release a "apple tv" type device to link all TV's etc and while used isn't in nearly as many homes to date.

Just my 2c, HP iMO doesn't have the vision or nad's for doing this though, we'll be lucky if webOS even survives.

EDIT: Then again who does have the nads and resources.. if I did, I would have done this a long time ago myself. The first thing I thought of after using my pre years ago was this kitchen calendar... after seeing how well contacts, calendars and social media all synced up on one device from so many sources & the eligant cards and swip style of webOS.

Yeah? What are they? And why aren't any other companies doing it? And what tablets are going to have a 5-7yr hardware cycle? if you're brimming with ideas on how to make back hardware subsidies without an infrastructure like Amazon and the like, you should run to the door of every hardware manufacturer and sell your ideas.

Those "calendar" ideas already exist. The idea that the house needs yet another screen acting as a central server is ridiculous. The cloud synching will take care of all of that type of stuff without a central screen. There is NO NEEd for a 22 inch screen for those purposes. Android is now a hub, ios is now a hub, windows tablet/desktop os8 is a hub. you keep saying webos could do some 'new' thing but it's not new at all. A cross device os already exists in three flavors nowadays. webos would be a distant fourth by the time it could get anything resembling a competitive nature up and running. It already IS a distant 4th.

Honest to God a "kitchen calendar" is the past. The world's already way more synched up than you even think it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by *****lyPete View Post
    Yeah? What are they? And why aren't any other companies doing it? And what tablets are going to have a 5-7yr hardware cycle? if you're brimming with ideas on how to make back hardware subsidies without an infrastructure like Amazon and the like, you should run to the door of every hardware manufacturer and sell your ideas.

Those "calendar" ideas already exist. The idea that the house needs yet another screen acting as a central server is ridiculous. The cloud synching will take care of all of that type of stuff without a central screen. There is NO NEEd for a 22 inch screen for those purposes. Android is now a hub, ios is now a hub, windows tablet/desktop os8 is a hub. you keep saying webos could do some 'new' thing but it's not new at all. A cross device os already exists in three flavors nowadays. webos would be a distant fourth by the time it could get anything resembling a competitive nature up and running. It already IS a distant 4th.

Honest to God a "kitchen calendar" is the past. The world's already way more synched up than you even think it is.
    The idea is far from new.. Its years old and what said wasnt even half of it. Bear in mind access to media and sharing is the key as I stated so we agree.

BTW you sound like a single male, not someone with a wife and children like a good portion of the US. Not every parent feels kids 12yrs and under should have a data plan and be synced up ;P No kid of mine needs full internet access at that age, and if you have a kid and give them that w/o controls and supervision you are just asking for issues putting it politely. Not to mention with our economy a large majority of the population can't afford data plans for their kids anyway...
    After looking at a hands on video with the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime and reading about Chairman Lane's MacBook Air debacle, I think that HP should use the Prime's design as an example for the TouchPad 2. The Prime looks just like an ultra-portable notebook. HP thinks the future of laptops is in ultra-portables (which probably explains Lane using a MacBook Air) and that there is still a major market for tablets. Why not take the ASUS route and combine the two? I recommend they put a microSD card reader and HDMI out on the tablet portion of their new hybrid along with a multi-card reader and full size USB ports on the keyboard attachment portion. That can't simply copy ASUS or Apple. They have to take things one step further.

Edit: Plus ASUS is a major competitor to HP.
    Heck, while I'm at it I want to recommend some changes to webOS.

Disclaimer: These are my ideas and my ideas only but feel free to use them HP only if you decide to keep webOS and put it on new tablets and phones (not printers!!).

First I recommend what I call "active micro-cards". They are similar to widgets on Android but they are just miniaturized versions of running apps that you can pin to the home screen. This will allow you to keep you favorite apps running but not in card view. Here is how I envision it working:

o The empty space on your home screen in-between the notification bar and the launcher will be divided into a grid that is 4 columns by 3 rows
    o You launch your favorite app, then switch to card view
    o Hold your finger on the app's card and it will miniaturize (like on the Pre)
    o Move the miniaturize app to one of the open spaces on the home screen grid to pin it to the home screen
    o You should be able to miniaturize up to 12 apps (excluding games)
    o When the apps are on the home screen they are running in a low memory exhibition mode
    o To bring the app back to full screen/card view, simply tap it. However pinned apps will go back to the home screen instead of closing when you swipe them
    o To remove a pinned app, hold you finger on app while it is on the home screen and an X will appear. Tap the x to remove the pinned app from the home screen

Second, I recommend that when applications first launch, they launch in full screen mode instead of card view. This will give the appearance that the app is opening faster than it actually is (just like in iOS). Clicking the home button or swiping up should put the app in card view, just like normal.

Third, I recommend signing contracts with Amazon for content. Amazon has nothing to lose by this and neither does HP. Change the launcher and add a content tab along with the other tabs. Make the content tab the default tab when the launcher is opened. Make the content tab sync with Amazon's apps so that recently purchased or open magazines, movies, and books display on the content tab like a bookshelf. So when you open the launcher you are able to see your content as well as your apps.

Fourth, Fix the damn javascript client and license some additional plugins for the browser, music app, and video player. Use a darker (black) theme for default multimedia apps.
  15.    #135  
    k4ever interesting ideas. I suggest to click on your post permalink and tweet it @HP @MegWhitman @philmckiney @palm #webos
    Phil left not long after Leo's bombshell to finish his book (out now) and work as an innovation consultant. He does a good podcast that's worth listening. I doubt he has much sway now.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
    The idea is far from new.. Its years old and what said wasnt even half of it. Bear in mind access to media and sharing is the key as I stated so we agree.

BTW you sound like a single male, not someone with a wife and children like a good portion of the US. Not every parent feels kids 12yrs and under should have a data plan and be synced up ;P No kid of mine needs full internet access at that age, and if you have a kid and give them that w/o controls and supervision you are just asking for issues putting it politely. Not to mention with our economy a large majority of the population can't afford data plans for their kids anyway...
    All the other OSes are already doing 'access to media and sharing'. That's nothing a 22inch touchscreen in the kitchen is going to blow the doors off of. And you know how you limit a kids access...don't give them the wireless password so they can only access local content from their tablet in the home. It's not rocket science. And clearly , the rest of parenting isn't really in your corner as it doesn't seem people have any problem buying their kids internet connected devices.

honestly, NOTHING you're suggesting can't be accomplished in iOS or Android already, and it's only getting more and more connected with those two OSes as they move into the living room to and add cloud services. You're basically saying that reinventing Apple Airplay will be a huge boon for webOS.
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567