Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Just today I have read in my favorite german IT newsticker that Huawei is starting a marketing offensive in Austria (ok, very small country ^^), but there a NYT article has been cited, that Huawei wants to belong to the Top 3 until 2015: Huawei steps up consumer sales drive
    Pre³ (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    touchpad 2.0 is great and all, even a phone but as I said before webos's and hp's way in is a 20" version heavily focused on calendar and contact sharing. Open to work with many phone types and media sources. Ability to have tv and streaming video is key. I noted several other must haves for this device in another thread.. But this would be, assuming at the right price, the media hub EVERYONE would want in there kitches to 'sync' lives (man I'm even great w/ catchy slogans).
  3.    #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
    Just today I have read in my favorite german IT newsticker that Huawei is starting a marketing offensive in Austria (ok, very small country ^^), but there a NYT article has been cited, that Huawei wants to belong to the Top 3 until 2015: Huawei steps up consumer sales drive
    Sorry to say, but Huawei is dreaming . Nice look phones but bad quality hardware as well as software performance.

They have the cheapest world phones as cheap are them to work. We recieved a lot of fanfarria or showcase here in my country , but just for a few months.

Movistar Telefónica recieved a lot of angry customers., so they decided not to go with Huawei anymore. Nokia and Samsung fight the first place here, then BB and iphone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daughain View Post
    I want a tablet that can natively do phone calls.
    I want webOS on my tablet.

Sounds like a solution to the 'phones complicate things' issue.......

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    How about porting webOS to 5" tablet phone Samsung Galaxy Note?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    The 7" Touchpad GO would be just fine. Add the ability to make/receive voice and sms. Be a sure winner.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    The 7" Touchpad GO would be just fine. Add the ability to make/receive voice and sms. Be a sure winner.
    Can anything with webos at this point be a sure winner?
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Sorry to say, but Huawei is dreaming . Nice look phones but bad quality hardware as well as software performance.

They have the cheapest world phones as cheap are them to work. We recieved a lot of fanfarria or showcase here in my country , but just for a few months.

Movistar Telefónica recieved a lot of angry customers., so they decided not to go with Huawei anymore. Nokia and Samsung fight the first place here, then BB and iphone.
    Don't write em off just yet.
    Look how far Vizio has come along for TVs. Say Huawei puts out a decent hardware, manages to land at Costco, then continue the success... not impossible.
    Far as I am concerned, anything under 10 in is a nifty toy, not something actually useful. I want the tablet to be used as a tablet. Bluetooth headsets exist for a reason. :-)

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Pad View Post
    Sorry to say, but Huawei is dreaming.
    No need to be sorry - I'm not a Huawei fan-boy
    Pre³ (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
  10.    #110  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    That hardware with webOS is a killer.
    HP is spewing a lot of smoke and proppping up a lot of mirrors.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

12.    #112  
    Yes, HP has to think on all the possibilities chances and recognising mistakes to come back with better solutions
    bluenote likes this.
    A lot of this still comes down to the big failure in webOS. Half assed app support. They had a hard enough time getting developers on board the first time around, why is their second attempt likely to be any better? They've already showed developers their lack of commitment. Many will simply wait to see what happens with webOS in the second iteration, which means once again, a product release with abysmal software support (compared to the other 2 big mobile OSes) which will hinder it gaining any traction in the general consumer market, which will make it unlikely to garner more app support after release.

Also, there is no real clamoring for webOS outside of the niche of hard core fans. And HP now has an 'abandonment' image to overcome when trying to convince the average buyer to plunk down money on any new tablet they might create. Personally I think any webOS move that still links it to HP is DOA just from the image problems alone.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by *****lyPete View Post
    A lot of this still comes down to the big failure in webOS. Half assed app support. They had a hard enough time getting developers on board the first time around, why is their second attempt likely to be any better? They've already showed developers their lack of commitment. Many will simply wait to see what happens with webOS in the second iteration, which means once again, a product release with abysmal software support (compared to the other 2 big mobile OSes) which will hinder it gaining any traction in the general consumer market, which will make it unlikely to garner more app support after release.

Also, there is no real clamoring for webOS outside of the niche of hard core fans. And HP now has an 'abandonment' image to overcome when trying to convince the average buyer to plunk down money on any new tablet they might create. Personally I think any webOS move that still links it to HP is DOA just from the image problems alone.
    There are two easy ways to overcome and make an impact in the market.. but will they do it?

Bring to market rock bottom priced touchpad 2's, get the market share. The market is there for a lower priced tablet, already proven.. how many days did the fire sale last? Even at double the cost it would have moved the TP's iMO (see everyone making money on ebay now). With sales comes customers and dev's clammering to make money.

iMO the way into most homes and hearts is still what I said above.. a 20-22" touch screen media hub designed to replace the calendar in everyone's kitchen in america.. combining everyone's schedules, social (facebook etc) & digital media (music, ebooks, video's etc) as a core feature (only webos does this well at this point). It must play nice with ALL cell phones and tablets (not a strong point right now) and offering great extras such as live & inet tv w/ streaming media options (inc netflix and others) as well as phone (or voip) if needed. Make some money selling apps to stream to all connected devices (grocery lists, calendar updates, notes etc) Make money selling apps in the apple and andriod app market to connect the phones and other devices (ipads etc) to the hub. It is really endless.. the ideas and extras.

Both devices have to come in at rock bottom pricing though to get their foot in the door. That home hub iMO will dictate the company (and os) that will be on top over the next 5-10 years.. who will get their first? If HP and webOS can win 'the kitchen', and provide these hubs (wall mount tablets) that have the best synergy w/ the hub the sales will follow, for that matter a deal with a free or low priced touchpad 2 w/ purchase couldn't hurt ;P

The money is not in the hub, but in the extra software & accessories (external goodies wireless speakers etc - whole house music) and so many other items to link in.

How about cars that schedule themselves for an oil change, webos linked reminders (also synced w/ your home hub's music library) :P

I could go on for days with add-on's that people would love... nothing is without work and investment though.
    Last edited by stumblinh; 11/13/2011 at 11:09 PM.
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stumblinh View Post
    There are two easy ways to overcome and make an impact in the market.. but will they do it?

Bring to market rock bottom priced touchpad 2's, get the market share. The market is there for a lower priced tablet, already proven.. how many days did the fire sale last? Even at double the cost it would have moved the TP's iMO (see everyone making money on ebay now). With sales comes customers and dev's clammering to make money.

iMO the way into most homes and hearts is still what I said above.. a 20-22" touch screen media hub designed to replace the calendar in everyone's kitchen in america.. combining everyone's schedules, social (facebook etc) & digital media (music, ebooks, video's etc) as a core feature (only webos does this well at this point). It must play nice with ALL cell phones and tablets (not a strong point right now) and offering great extras such as live & inet tv w/ streaming media options (inc netflix and others) as well as phone (or voip) if needed. Make some money selling apps to stream to all connected devices (grocery lists, calendar updates, notes etc) Make money selling apps in the apple and andriod app market to connect the phones and other devices (ipads etc) to the hub. It is really endless.. the ideas and extras.

Both devices have to come in at rock bottom pricing though to get their foot in the door. That home hub iMO will dictate the company (and os) that will be on top over the next 5-10 years.. who will get their first? If HP and webOS can win 'the kitchen', and provide these hubs (wall mount tablets) that have the best synergy w/ the hub the sales will follow, for that matter a deal with a free or low priced touchpad 2 w/ purchase couldn't hurt ;P

The money is not in the hub, but in the extra software & accessories (external goodies wireless speakers etc - whole house music) and so many other items to link in.

How about cars that schedule themselves for an oil change, webos linked reminders (also synced w/ your home hub's music library) :P

I could go on for days with add-on's that people would love... nothing is without work and investment though.
    You sold me. Anyone that does that will have my business.

Rock bottom prices? Where are they going to make their money? App sales can't make up for hardware profit losses. Even Apple (the largest app store) makes a pittance on apps (comparatively speaking). You're talking about HP subsidizing their hardware with no way to make it up. It's a pipe dream. Besides, Amazon will kick HP's *** all the way to the bottom of a price war since Amazon is hoping to subsidize their hardware with the entirety of the Amazon store, not just tablet related items.

As far as 'kitchen' hub (really, the way into the home is not through a calendar replacement, ut i digress) , iOS and Android are already poised far better than webOS (by years) to move into additional rooms. Hell, Apple is a year away from integration iOS into TV's, they'll have a (per your opinion) 22" sweet spot display panel running iOS before HP could even write up an R&D plan, much less fund it, get it off the ground, and have a product to release. Same thing with Android, the platforms works across any device they could want to stick it in nowadays. They're already doing what you're suggesting HP should be trying to do. With years of head start.

And the way into most homes and hearts is doing exactly what Apple and Google are. Because they are already in most homes and hearts. and are adding millions every month.
    Rock bottom prices? Where are they going to make their money? App sales can't make up for hardware profit losses. Even Apple (the largest app store) makes a pittance on apps (comparatively speaking). You're talking about HP subsidizing their hardware with no way to make it up. It's a pipe dream. Besides, Amazon will kick HP's *** all the way to the bottom of a price war since Amazon is hoping to subsidize their hardware with the entirety of the Amazon store, not just tablet related items.
    We'll agree to disagree, I can think of 50 ways just off the top of my head for HP to more than make up a couple hundred dollars. Over a 5-7yr typical hardware span make potentially thousands.

As far as 'kitchen' hub (really, the way into the home is not through a calendar replacement, ut i digress) , iOS and Android are already poised far better than webOS (by years) to move into additional rooms. Hell, Apple is a year away from integration iOS into TV's, they'll have a (per your opinion) 22" sweet spot display panel running iOS before HP could even write up an R&D plan, much less fund it, get it off the ground, and have a product to release. Same thing with Android, the platforms works across any device they could want to stick it in nowadays. They're already doing what you're suggesting HP should be trying to do. With years of head start.
    HP already has basic hardware in place and in stock (20-22" screens) so it wouldn't take more than 6 mos of coding (maybe less w/ vendor help) to swap from a windows os to webos.. maybe some slight hardware changes, to market in a year. I know any busy family would not just love but pay for a hub that would sync up everyone’s lives putting all info on the main calendar and pushed out to all the linked devices. It's not just a pc (laptop or desktop) in the home that isn't easy enough, the good thing is the PC too can be linked in.

And the way into most homes and hearts is doing exactly what Apple and Google are. Because they are already in most homes and hearts. and are adding millions every month.
    Agreed Apple and Andriod have done well, and Palm even had a chance to do better but couldn’t get their hardware out on time to complete w/ the market. A day late.. or no release; pre, pre2 and the now dead pre3. At this point HP and webos iMO will have to go sideways or backwards into the "phone" market. They imo still have a reasonable chance w/ tablets but it would help if they were really tied tight and had great synergy w/ the hub. If the hub was done right it would change everything iMO and could be out to market before anyone else’s.. Apples hold on most is simply iTunes (a virus in itself) so as long as people have access to media and a reasonable amount of apps you can have success so it has to be part of the plan. Going w/ the hub approach you get into homes then people stay brand loyal because of the great experience they are having (page from apples book). The hub doesn't need nearly as many apps at launch as long as it does what it is supposed to do and does it REALLY well. PS easy to release a "apple tv" type device to link all TV's etc and while used isn't in nearly as many homes to date.

Just my 2c, HP iMO doesn't have the vision or nad's for doing this though, we'll be lucky if webOS even survives.

EDIT: Then again who does have the nads and resources.. if I did, I would have done this a long time ago myself. The first thing I thought of after using my pre years ago was this kitchen calendar... after seeing how well contacts, calendars and social media all synced up on one device from so many sources & the eligant cards and swip style of webOS.
    Last edited by stumblinh; 11/15/2011 at 07:16 AM.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    HP already has basic hardware in place and in stock (20-22" screens) so it wouldn't take more than 6 mos of coding (maybe less w/ vendor help) to swap from a windows os to webos.. maybe some slight hardware changes, to market in a year. I know any busy family would not just love but pay for a hub that would sync up everyone’s lives putting all info on the main calendar and pushed out to all the linked devices. It's not just a pc (laptop or desktop) in the home that isn't easy enough, the good thing is the PC too can be linked in.
    If this was going to work -- and I'm dubious -- it would need to be a function integrated into the television. Why would I pay for an additional screen that is just for this function?

I think this is more likely as a cross-platform cloud app, or a feature of a system like Google TV, than a stand-alone product.
  19. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    It's a non-starter - why would a mobile OS that failed (in the market) as a mobile OS be any of a better success when used on TVs and competiting against interfaces that were designed from the ground up for that purpose? Are we edging towards someone seriously suggesting the WebOS toaster?

I know any busy family would not just love but pay for a hub that would sync up everyone’s lives putting all info on the main calendar and pushed out to all the linked devices.
    Why bother paying when they can do it for free via google Calendars?
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    If this was going to work -- and I'm dubious -- it would need to be a function integrated into the television. Why would I pay for an additional screen that is just for this function?

I think this is more likely as a cross-platform cloud app, or a feature of a system like Google TV, than a stand-alone product.
    As noted in the first post.. it would include a cable input for both live TV and streaming internet TV as well as ability to run a land or voip phone line if one wanted. (these options are already built into the current hardware HP already has)

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's a non-starter - why would a mobile OS that failed (in the market) as a mobile OS be any of a better success when used on TVs and competiting against interfaces that were designed from the ground up for that purpose? Are we edging towards someone seriously suggesting the WebOS toaster?

Why bother paying when they can do it for free via google Calendars?

First off most people working for companies of any size as well as anyone in the .gov or .edu are not using Google calendars, they are tied into exchange servers via work (ps these are the people that in most cases have the most money to spend as well). Webos does a better job syncing multiple accounts (calendars, contacts & photo's) across all platforms even hotmail and Google and syncing with the remote devices (phones touchpads etc).

The "home" screen on this device would be a month calendar showing all schedules from all accounts, down the side a list of 'to do's' and notes, weather as well as a basic small ad window linking into amazon and others (fandango, top 100 music, top downloads) ALL PAYING hp to be there. This will also learn from purchases and be setup to show items that match what the family needs again based on history and would be most likely to purchase.. Including reminders for refrigerator water filters.. vacuum filters and other mundane crap people forget about (enter in model make of different items in your house and it will auto keep track of maintenance). This window could also have streaming video (tv or inet) and news (cnn etc) your choice running while in calendar view, stock tickers the options are endless. The OS would work best w/ webos' card system to swap back and forth easily between apps, media, inet, shopping searches, maps directions.. and so much more.. But also say for instance you are going to a meeting and type in the address you can click on a little icon next to the meeting and view, print or simply send the directions to the appropriate phone if it's not gps capable, even if it is it will show up on the phone and you can just touch it for access. If web os lived in cars it could even sync into built in GPS devices or standalone turn by turn gps's, HP can work with TomTom or Garmin or similar to replace the OS behind their systems w/ webos and have it tied in fully for all older vehicles that don't have built in GPS's. Maps etc all update anytime you are on the home network parked in the garage (wireless of course). I could go on for days w/ stuff...

how about working with samsung or sears and get webos into your washer/dryer.. device shows up on your enabled phone you can pre-load it before work, on your way home start the laundry and have it waiting for you.. a generic time delay that is on them now doesn't work well if you are running late or get out early.

I could even see down the road having smart refrigerators that have zones that can sense weight and for instance tell you your milk is low on your way home.. the device could even suggest a store on the route (another way for hp to make money) moving a certain company up the priority list obviously not to the point of it taking you off the fastest route home.
    Last edited by stumblinh; 11/15/2011 at 03:38 PM.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast