Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree47Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    New bidder... I hope Nvidia!!
    That company already announced Quad Core CPU base ARM9.

If Nvidia want to buy WebOS, then this will change the mobile market Industry.

Nvidia have many partners in gaming industry and have solid technology in 3D. They start to make ARM cpu showed that they interested in mobile market.

I know Nvidia is hardware company that sell chips to partners, but if they bold enough to make mobile devices by their own, that should be very possible. Moreover to beat their strong rival such AMD & Intel, Nvidia need to have other weapon or start to make market in gaming mobile industry.

Imagine how good it will be if NVidia made phone with WebOS that have solid 3D experience. Fast browsing because accelerated with their GPU. OpenCL will boost webOS performance in many way.

Ok... Stop dreaming.. It is just a 'mad' idea from me

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    The last company Nvidia acquired had a outstanding graphics chip and closed there ideas out forever... that company was known as 3DFX interactive... pffffft. I still run a voodoo card and Im still not convinced Nvidia is a good guy.. and if they were to acquire WebOS .. it would be scary
    I have created a petition here:

Petition Continue webOS tablet development

Please sign it. thanks
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    One tablet* to rule them all, One tablet to find them, One tablet to bring them all and in the darkness bind them

*runs webOS, Android, Win8
    I don't want to be a Debbie Downer here(I have a Pre+ and a TP which I both enjoy very much). However, there is no way HP resurrects Webos, they've already shown that they aren't willing to spend the money to make it successful. Why would I be inclined to believe that they are willing to do that now? If anything, Whitman is just trying to talk up Webos so that HP can sell it for a better price. Their "2.0" tablet, if they do make it, will most definitely be a Windows 8 tablet.
    The last company Nvidia acquired had a outstanding graphics chip and closed there ideas out forever... that company was known as 3DFX interactive... pffffft. I still run a voodoo card and Im still not convinced Nvidia is a good guy.. and if they were to acquire WebOS .. it would be scary
    I know 3DFx acquired by NVidia. And 3DFx technology now being used till now. That was SLI.

WebOS is all about software, if NVidia buy WebOS, not logical if they kill it.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by jjchow245 View Post
    I don't want to be a Debbie Downer here(I have a Pre+ and a TP which I both enjoy very much). However, there is no way HP resurrects Webos, they've already shown that they aren't willing to spend the money to make it successful. Why would I be inclined to believe that they are willing to do that now? If anything, Whitman is just trying to talk up Webos so that HP can sell it for a better price. Their "2.0" tablet, if they do make it, will most definitely be a Windows 8 tablet.
    Way to be a Debbie Downer.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo21 View Post
    phones, we need phones not tablets. Ah well a touchpad 2 would be better than selling to oracle.
    Right on. Everyone needs a phone, not everyone needs/wants a tablet. I have a Touchpad and a Pre Plus. I would trade them both for a Touchstone Galaxy Nexus running webOS in a heart beat!

Phones still rule the mobile space as far as users are concerned, but I do understand that the market is more or less saturated right now. If I were HP, I would keep webOS and think long term. Take it slow, come back with a TP2 that will sell and licence or open source webOS to a phone manufacture to help build a user base and dev support.
    Last edited by ohiomoto; 11/09/2011 at 08:45 PM.
    Global Posts
    93 Global Posts
    I just want a Pre 3 on Verizon. Even with the new RAZR and Nexus coming out...I still want a Pre 3 on Verizon. Maybe with the fancy unstructured data company HP just acquired they will see this exact post and will make it so.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Bard View Post
    I know 3DFx acquired by NVidia. And 3DFx technology now being used till now. That was SLI.
    The today's SLI has nothing to do with 3DFx's SLI technology. 3DFx was already essentially dead when nvidia bought them (hmmm... sounds familiar), and nVidia just bought them for the IP portfolio.
  10.    #90  
    12 days to Nov 21st. Will HP let us know something about webOS devices ?

HP to Present Live Audio Webcast of 4Q Earnings Conference Call.Nov 21st.
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-webo...ml#post3239416
    I want a tablet that can natively do phone calls.
    I want webOS on my tablet.

Sounds like a solution to the 'phones complicate things' issue.......

TopTongueBarry and Rnp like this.
  12.    #92  
    Yes, who donīt?
    Global Posts
    332 Global Posts
    After having read Is it Game Over for Nintendo DS and Sony PSP? it would make sense for Nintendo to buy webOS and enter the mobile phone and tablet market - although I'm not sure if I'd like it.
    Pre≥ (iPhone 4), TouchPad 32 GB (PlayBook 16 GB)
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by russellraff View Post
    Riddle me this, folks: What would it take for HP to actually be succesful with WebOS.. and I do NOT mean "what would it take to make us P|C'ers feel good"... I mean "what would it take to be a commercial success?" I can't answer that anymore... too much time and too many blown opportunities have passed.

/mope

russ
    Simple, they just have to outspend Microsoft, execute better than them and develop better relations with developers and partners than them. If they can do all of that they can have third place.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewT3 View Post
    Simple, they just have to outspend Microsoft, execute better than them and develop better relations with developers and partners than them. If they can do all of that they can have third place.

It's not just Microsoft, Nokia have bet the company on WP7 so they are going all in from every angle. Here's one difference - Nokia realises that a successful platform needs developers to develop and shop stuff to have used the devices - their answer is to give out 75,000 units for free - that's one one aspect of their current push but is more significant than anything that HP has done at this stage.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    I think we can strike Huawei from our 'possibles':

So how does Huawei intend to reach its "achievable" goals? From a device perspective, it'll continue creating hot spots, tablets, and phones for tier 2 and tier 1 carriers. But don't expect it to be a paragon of mobile device wizardry. Currently Huawei focuses on feature phones and entry-level Android smartphones for the U.S. market, emphasizing its role in converting feature phone users into first time smartphone owners. As it stands, 80 percent of Huawei devices are co-branded, Plummer said, adding that Huawei isn't concerned per se about releasing products under the brand name.
    Huawei's goal: Be a Top 5 vendor in three years | CTIA 2011 - CNET Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by akitayo View Post
    12 days to Nov 21st. Will HP let us know something about webOS devices ?

HP to Present Live Audio Webcast of 4Q Earnings Conference Call.Nov 21st.
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-webo...ml#post3239416
    I am really expecting nothing major concerning the future of webOS to be announced in that meeting. It should be an Earning meeting plain and simple ... Announcing webOS future in that wouldn't make any sense ... But, again it is HP ... who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by Daughain View Post
    I want webOS on my tablet.

Sounds like a solution to the 'phones complicate things' issue.......

For me, phones are essential ... People buys phones currently out of necessity; then, a niche of these people would buy tablets as an accessory. Now, these people don't change platforms frequently as they want the same experience, much easier .... So ... 'No webOS phones' would make gaining a market share a bit steep.

This could change in the future and I am sure it will. But, currently, it is what it is!

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's not just Microsoft, Nokia have bet the company on WP7 so they are going all in from every angle. Here's one difference - Nokia realises that a successful platform needs developers to develop and shop stuff to have used the devices - their answer is to give out 75,000 units for free - that's one one aspect of their current push but is more significant than anything that HP has done at this stage.
    I think the biggest problem is that HP is trying to be a software giant where they don't have the sufficient experience to be so ... Nokia already had its time to learn when they had the Symbian, so these people know what they are doing. HP on the other hand is not that good with in-house software development, not to mention having to develop a platform, which means you need developers relationships and you need to understand how to draw more developers.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CvvB View Post
    I am really expecting nothing major concerning the future of webOS to be announced in that meeting. It should be an Earning meeting plain and simple ... Announcing webOS future in that wouldn't make any sense ... But, again it is HP ... who knows?

For me, phones are essential ... People buys phones currently out of necessity; then, a niche of these people would buy tablets as an accessory. Now, these people don't change platforms frequently as they want the same experience, much easier .... So ... 'No webOS phones' would make gaining a market share a bit steep.

This could change in the future and I am sure it will. But, currently, it is what it is!

I think the biggest problem is that HP is trying to be a software giant where they don't have the sufficient experience to be so ... Nokia already had its time to learn when they had the Symbian, so these people know what they are doing. HP on the other hand is not that good with in-house software development, not to mention having to develop a platform, which means you need developers relationships and you need to understand how to draw more developers.
    Right, people go on about scale but equally importantly is capability - HP has (as far as I am aware) not got the expertise required for decent carrier relations. You can get it but it costs and it takes time which is why Whitman seems so cold on the idea of phones.

Sent from my touchdroid using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Daughain View Post
    I've made a couple feeble attempts to look at the Telephony Interface Layer on the Touchpad 4G so a patch can be created. Hopefully, one of the more knowledgable developers can get in and do some magic.

TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Take this with a grain of salt, but the latest rumor is that
    Nintendo(yes, the gaming console maker) is one of the
    parties interested making a bid for webOS.

I'm really confused by this. What possible uses does
    Nintendo have with webOS? Nintendo is already a
    sinking boat and not an ideal home for webOS. (IMHO)

What's next? Sell webOS to Johnson Controls???
    (not that I have anything against them, not personally
    anyway)

F4
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast